Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devin Townsend - Epicloud (New Album)

Options
  • 05-09-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭

Devin is back with a new album released September 18. It's called Epicloud.

Here's a taster of what's in store on the album.

Really interested to see what he does after the double release last year of Deconstruction/Ghost.

He did an interview with metalunderground.com to coincide with the impending release.
    How does your writing process usually work and did that change since the themes and lyrical focus changed on this album?

Devin: Well I don’t think it changes in a conscious way, it changes as a result of being aware of where I was prior to this. The old adage of if you don’t integrate your mistakes into your world, you will just keep repeating them. My process has always been as much on the subconscious as it has been on the forefront of my consciousness. It has led to me to make statements in the past that I was uncomfortable with because I didn’t realize what was coming out of me subconsciously was a very strong element of my current frame of mind. With “Epicloud” it has changed, of course it’s changed, but only as the result of me being proactive in my own life of learning from my mistakes. Anything I’ve achieved in terms of lyrical differences have been because on the surface of my world I’m definitely trying to learn from my mistakes. I don’t want to be punching myself in the face with the things I should learn. Specifically I’ve been so vocal about the past four records being about, “hey, I’m trying to get over this ****.” Making another recording about “hey, I’m still trying to get over this ****” doesn’t make any sense. The things that the four records set up for me to achieve, I believe I achieved, so this is a record about me going “Ok, here, sorted, what’s next?”

The last album had quite a few guest musicians. Who did you bring on this time?

Devin: I brought along some people that I thought were appropriate for it. The theme for “Deconstruction” seemed appropriate for a lot of guests. The concept and theme has an appreciation for things about life that are more optimistic, so that required a female voice. Of the people that I’ve worked with, Anneke was the one that was the immediate choice because she’s a good friend and her voice is brilliant. Opposite that, the only contributors to this that aren’t part of the band was a gospel choir that I was fortunate enough to make the acquaintance of in Vancouver. They were liberal enough in terms of their views on these things to provide that kind of sound on a record that has no religious agenda. I think that the combination of all those things has made a record that is really awesome. That’s the bottom line.

Another one of our writers is really interested in your vocal work and he was wondering if you’d share what reverb plugin do you use in the studio?

Devin: I use a ping pong delay, which is the default one in Pro Tools, and I set one side to 250 or 300 and the other side between 400 and 600. It’s not an equal ping pong, and then I put the repeat rate fairly high, like 40 or 50 percent, and then I use the high pass on it to get rid of the fidelity and the repeat so it turns into a goo. But it’s not a reverb, it’s a delay.

What else would you like to say to the fans?

Devin:
    I think the bottom line with the new record is that it’s something I’m very proud of, it’s something I’m surprised that it’s taken me this long to feel confident enough to do. It’s not for the Cannibal Corpse set, it’s not for them, they’re not going to like it at all. I certainly am not trying to hawk it onto people, I don’t want to sell myself to people. If what I do interests you, then this record is something you will probably think is good. If what I do bugs the **** out of you, then you’re not going to like it, so good luck and no hard feelings.

dtpo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

Sounds terrible. I'm really not liking the choir and to me most of those tracks sound too similar. I thought Deconstruction was okay but I can sense it's time for me to stop listening to Devin Townsend as he's going down an avenue of musical experimentation that holds no interest for me. He put it best in himself in that interview: "If what I do interests you, then this record is something you will probably think is good. If what I do bugs the **** out of you, then you’re not going to like it."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is Devin, so I will buy it.

The taster sounds a lot, in terms of vocal style, to how he sounded on Vai's Sex & Religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Absolutely loving the direction of this album. Sounds a little closer to Addicted! than the last two, which can only be a good thing. All hail Devin!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sounds good, I agree sounds closer to Addicted! compared to the other releases.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

For some reason I can't fathom he grates on my nerves. Everyone in my house loves him and we're all going to this but the philistine in me just wants him to shut up and play guitar. Very uncool I know :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

This is the Devin i liked

Was blowing away seeing that live ..... Went to The Netherlands last year to see him .... was glad Anneke was there ;) .... A well as long as he is happy in his creative progress :D

On itunes you can listen to 1 minute and 30 seconds of each track from the new album.

Gives the chance to listen to 19 minutes and 30 seconds of the new album (not including the bonus demo tracks)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

It's been leaked now (if you're so inclined to obtain music that way). Listening to it now. Better than I expected actually. Some pretty big tracks on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

After listening to that, now more than ever do I miss SYL..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

After listening to that, now more than ever do I miss SYL..

You'd probably want to go see his Retinal Circus show next month in London then, I'm sure he'll be playing some SYL there since he says it will be "A culmination of my ENTIRE career with a star line up and full supporting cast." Wish I was going, sounds like it'll be a blast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Numina wrote: »
    You'd probably want to go see his Retinal Circus show next month in London then, I'm sure he'll be playing some SYL there since he says it will be "A culmination of my ENTIRE career with a star line up and full supporting cast." Wish I was going, sounds like it'll be a blast.

Jaysis yeah, that would be a belter alright. I'd go and see him anyway even if he didn't play SYL songs, SYL are just one of my favourite ever bands and I'd cream myself if he got it going again. One of my biggest regrets is never seeing them when they were still going.

Dude's a musical legend in every sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dotsy115

Album is amazing. Retinal circus not to be had for love or money at this stage unless your prepared to pay silly money of course. Going to the Newcastle gig and managed to blag the guest list so hoping that might help me chances for the circus gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Yeah gave it a good listen last night and really like it, you never get bored with Devin!

Got it this morning and it is safe to say that Devin has delivered once again.

Get in there quick 'cos a few tix have just become available for the Retinal Circus gig on Sat: http://www.kililive.com/artists/devin-townsend-presents-the-retinal-circus/

See you there.

Edit: Gone.

Just home from London and the Retinal Circus. Great fun. He played for nearly 3 hours. Brilliant atmosphere and the SYL section was deadly. Anyone else from here at it?

Was a great show. Was bloody tired the next morning by the time I got back up to Liverpool to catch the merseyside derby.

Did not expect the show to be as long as it was, so that was a brilliant surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Only getting around to listening to this now. I'm enjoying it so far and on first proper listen it sounds like a solid album. The wall of sound production is certainly intact. Anneke's vocals really add to the sound. It sounds a little more "straight forward" structurally and melodic than other DT releases too. Devin always did melody, and everything else for that matter, very well.

Advertisement