Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spam Filter

• 05-09-2012 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Apologies if this subject has been covered already – I have not read through all of the posts here.

I have Avast anti-virus on my PC but the spam issue is becoming serious. I had Adaware on before and it seemed to help but it clashed with Avast and caused problems so I have removed Adaware. I am getting the usual spam: I have won millions on the lotto; someone needs my bank details in order to transfer money from Africa and pay me a couple of hundred thousand for my help; Bank of Ireland account details need to be updated, although I don’t have a BoI account etc. There is one particularly bad offender, a Yahoo group (Coyle@yahoogroups.com) which was supposed to be a genealogical board that I had subscribed to at one time. I unsubscribed a long time ago but keep getting daily spam messages from them. The group is almost impossible to contact online unless you are subscribed so I wrote to the Yahoo postal address but to no avail – not even an acknowledgement from Yahoo.

I have tried the usual things like adding the sender and the sender’s domain to the Blocked Sender’s list and have also created many Message Rules, based on words or phrases in the Subject Line etc. but nothing seems to work. Is there a good spam filter that would help or is there another solution? I don’t want to change my email address if I can avoid doing that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

spamfighter seems to be okay, i would give that a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Thanks Monkeynut,

I have since downloaded MailWasher and it is gradually weeding out the rubbish.
    Also using SUPER AntiSpyware and it has picked up a lot of tracking cookies, the vast majority of them not wanted.

Advertisement