Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hollow doors

• 05-09-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

hi i have hollow doors which have swelled and wont close and i wondering is it ok to plain them. will the covering on both sides of door damage the plain

Thanking You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Why have they swelled? Has there been a leak or something? It's not really likely they have swelled from moisture in the air as its been nice enough weather the last week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

this is a house which has been idle for two years and its been done up to be leased out. I have done alot of work to it for the owner but as i not carpenter i just havent plained this type of door before

Is the heating back in yet? If not wait until its comes on for a week or two and the doors should pull back.

If you plane them now and they shrink when the heating comes back on they will look absolutly terrible with a huge gap on the lock side

sorry should have said. house totally finished now and heat on for two hours a day for about month. I agree if i plain them and they pull back themselves then the gap would be very bad. As heat is on for good while now and some of doors have gone back , the remaining few will have to be plained. owner wants to put house up for rent as soon as possible

Two hours a day won't have much effect to be honest. Also was there any plastering done in the house?

• Advertisement

there was plastering done but i think the owner isnt going to allow any more time as he wants to rent it out

Well just make the owner aware what could happen when you plane the doors and the heat is on full blast. Does much need to be taken off the doors?

it looks a max of 5mm. but will plaining these doors damage my plain or will the coating on both sides of doors chip when i plain

Jesus 5mm! You will need to reset the locks and handles in the doors if you need to remove that much! No it won't do any major damage to the planer blade. It might dull it a little but that's it. That's a serious amount of swelling

i know but the swelling is only on part of door. its not down the length of door. and my last question will the coating chip as i plain it

• Advertisement

Are the doors painted? It might chip. No way of knowing until the planer is run along the door. A sharp blade will reduce the chipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I reckon myself it might be got to do with the frame more so has the frame came loose from wrapping or twisting with the heating on. Can an extra frame fixer do you any favours.

Is it secure plus if it looks like 5 mm to be plained remember that's on the back edge of the door. Make sure to plain an angle of to the back edge as you wont need to plain the front as much.

And a slight angle 2-3deg like that's all you will need.

Ya a frame fixer might help with the door sticking but the screw will need to be plugged or filled and painted over.

Also a back bevel on the door helps to prevent it catching on the frame when opening and closing as well.

Advertisement