Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we scrap the Croke Park agreement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I reckon FG will do some cutting in public expeniture and then raising taxes by introducing new home bills and other raising.

But

It will be dec 2013 where they will do all the major cutting like the cutting of SW and PS pay.

You see, they need to introduce all the new bills first and get peoples details name, address, etc. so that when incomes are cut they have personal details for prosecutions.

Do it, the other way around by cutting incomes first and the boat will be rocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I voted yes. I didn't cost me anything. I didn't have to wait in a queue to do so and didn't fill in a single form before I voted.

This is obviously a poll run by the private sector.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

squod wrote: »
    I voted yes. I didn't cost me anything. I didn't have to wait in a queue to do so and didn't fill in a single form before I voted.

This is obviously a poll run by the private sector.

plus whoever set it up did not insist on double the wage and pension of their equivalent in N. Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So raise taxes then. Private sector had not been hammered, many have not been hit in any way, all public sector workers have been cut.

Interesting post by someone who I would imagine is in a full time secure job, maybe ask some private sector workers about their experiences over the last 4 years before making statements like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I'm always really interested in these threads as I suspect no-one on here knows personally anyone who is REALLY poor(I'm talking poor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Interesting post by someone who I would imagine is in a full time secure job, maybe ask some private sector workers about their experiences over the last 4 years before making statements like this.

My experience,
    Some weeks i have no income at all,others, a partial wage. despite this, the revenue will hound me for various taxes.
    No overdraft from bank to help with the lean weeks with slow cash flow,
    Had to stop paying a pension ages ago, in the real world we have to find the money ourselves to pay for one.
    No health insurance, no social welfare,
    Hard cash has to be found to pay basic utilities and to buy food, no guarentee of getting paid any week, so it's a constant struggle.
    I really envy those who have secure guarenteed to be paid employment with the perks that go with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mishkalucy wrote: »
    I'm always really interested in these threads as I suspect no-one on here knows personally anyone who is REALLY poor(I'm talking poor)
    You would be seriously very wrong.

Biggins wrote: »
    You would be seriously very wrong.

Wouldn't bet the farm on that one Biggs;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I'm a PS worker. Actually, I would be were it not for the fact that I have to leave the country next month because I can't get a job here. Fair enough. It'll be an adventure. I think Croke Park should be re-opened. This country simply can't afford to pay what it pays at the moment. It's incredible that unions are up in arms about even looking at increments. There was an excellent article in the Irish Times recently which accused unions of not giving a hoot about social solidarity, and I think it was spot on. The Unions want to keep what they have secured, and if disabled kids lose out on home help, well so be it.

I do think though, that there needs to be a wider awareness of how much has changed in the Public Service over the past few years. There needs to be more reflection and mature debate on both sides, and this isn't often reflected in the PS bashing that is so common around here. I'm a teacher, and can vouch for the fact that there have been huge reforms over the past five years, yet all the talk about that sector is based on conceptions that are well older. I wouldn't mind except that when corrected, the people who spout the BS don't take it on board.

All in all, I think Croke Park should be re-opened. However, I think it should be looked at in a sensible way by all sides, and without the kind of white heat generated by an often uninformed public discourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Too right it should be scrapped they are going to cut my dole now.
    Don't see why I should take a cut to keep them in a job.

Travesty that's what it is

galwayrush wrote: »
    A lot of public sector workers won't know what's hit them when it happens, the reality that most private sector workers are already in is a nasty place.

Sorry, that's not true. All PS workers have taken some form of pay cut over the past few years. Only a minority of private sector workers have been laid of or taken a reduction in pay. I realise that private sector workers have been hit hard, but I think that we should stick to the facts and not pretend that most of one sector is struggling, while the other is living high on the hog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Wouldn't bet the farm on that one Biggs ;)

You would lose that bet.

Einhard wrote: »
    I'm a PS worker. Actually, I would be were it not for the fact that I have to leave the country next month because I can't get a job here. Fair enough. It'll be an adventure. I think Croke Park should be re-opened. This country simply can't afford to pay what it pays at the moment. It's incredible that unions are up in arms about even looking at increments. There was an excellent article in the Irish Times recently which accused unions of not giving a hoot about social solidarity, and I think it was spot on. The Unions want to keep what they have secured, and if disabled kids lose out on home help, well so be it.

I do think though, that there needs to be a wider awareness of how much has changed in the Public Service over the past few years. There needs to be more reflection and mature debate on both sides, and this isn't often reflected in the PS bashing that is so common around here. I'm a teacher, and can vouch for the fact that there have been huge reforms over the past five years, yet all the talk about that sector is based on conceptions that are well older. I wouldn't mind except that when corrected, the people who spout the BS don't take it on board.

All in all, I think Croke Park should be re-opened. However, I think it should be looked at in a sensible way by all sides, and without the kind of white heat generated by an often uninformed public discourse.

I never thought I would agree with a PS worker but i have to be fair, a lot of newly qualified teachers have found themselves unhitched.
    I think the problem with the PS is that the "Old Guard" have reaped substantial rewards and are most certainly not willing to give them up at the cost of the incoming youth or society in general.

Sorry, that's not true. All PS workers have taken some form of pay cut over the past few years. Only a minority of private sector workers have been laid of or taken a reduction in pay. I realise that private sector workers have been hit hard, but I think that we should stick to the facts and not pretend that most of one sector is struggling, while the other is living high on the hog.

Only a minority of private sector workers have been laid off?

Have you any family members who are/were builders?
    That area is decimated since the recession kicked in.

Many private sector workers have taken a pay cut just so they can stay working, just because it doesn't make the news doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

You say you want mature debate on this, well so do I but both sides need to stop coming on and saying things that are not 100% accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Suspect that the vote stats give a fair reflection ; whose going to argue online with the institutie-think we get bombarded with from Pravda-Rte every opportunity. And I mean Soviet Pravda. Just in case there's any ambiguity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

I work in the private sector and here is how it works. If my company is in profit, jobs are safe. If my company starts losing money, straight away pay is frozen, contractors laid off and costs cut. If the company continues to lose money, head count is cut and potentially company closes and everyone is unemployed.
    Now unlike the public sector nothing like 70/80% of company spend is on wages, that would not be entertained. Bonuses, jobs, hours and benefits are severely cut when times are hard. This is widely acceptable in the private sector. Pensions and health insurance are not guaranteed. I cannot retire with a fat lump sum and 2/3rds of my final wage and still get incremental increases at any age from as early as 40/65 ( army, prison guards etc.). It is expected that I work up to 60 hours a week and from home on my laptop. I am paying into a private pension that may be worthless in 30 years time.

However when the public sector employer is as broke as this government is and are paying nearly 80% of revenue on wages, for some reason loss off increments, a day off for 'the king', unvouched mileage and expenses and serious cuts seem to be unacceptable. Public sector workers seem to have some inexplicable logic for sidestepping the obvious fact your employer completely broke and does not have this luxury anymore.
    I would not like to see job losses in the public sector, but it is clear to avoid this that the benefits, increments and lump sum retirement pay outs have to be cut out. To be clear when and if the government is in the black, by all means reinstate these benefits. Can a public sector worker tell me where the gov is supposed to get the money. Please don't mention 'the banks', as they are being lent that money and have to pay back with interest so it is not the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

kub wrote: »
    Our tax income is at 2003 levels, the private sector have been hammered. 70% of the HSE budget goes on salaries, etc.

Am I correct in thinking that when this agreement was hammered out that one of the conditions of it was that if economic conditions continued to decrease that the agreement could be re examined?

If so, why has this not happened?
    Labour are in government. Labour is essentially the party of the public sector, and they are (quite rightly, I suppose) fighting for their constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I am surprised it has lasted this long. I thought by now the IMF/ECB would have cancelled the agreement and reversed the bertie benchmarking agreement.

That tells you how well this government is doing its job, there is hope for us and there is still a chance we will not need a second bail out, it turns out we avoided the Greek situation, somehow.

I think the up coming budget will do something else against the PS, but not reverse the croke park agreement.

Only a minority of private sector workers have been laid off?

Have you any family members who are/were builders?
    That area is decimated since the recession kicked in.

Many private sector workers have taken a pay cut just so they can stay working, just because it doesn't make the news doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

You say you want mature debate on this, well so do I but both sides need to stop coming on and saying things that are not 100% accurate.

I'm sorry, but you agree that we need mature debate and accurate comments, but then still insist that a majority (ie over 50%) of private sector workers have been laid off since this recesson hit. And that is simply untrue. You also state that a majority of private sector workers have taken a pay reduction. This is often stated as a fact, yet I have not seen any data to back it up, and have read and heard of reports over the past years that would indicate that it is not exactly the case. Apologies for not having said reports to hand right now, but even were I never to find them, it does not change the fact that you are claiming something for which you have no proof.

Have many private sector workers taken wages cuts? Of course. Have the majority? That's a different thing entirely. Have all public sector workers taken cuts? Yes.

This is what I mean by a proper debate. I don't deny that more cuts are necessary, but I think we should be more restrained in the alleged "facts" and soundbites that both sides throw around.
    I work in the private sector and here is how it works. If my company is in profit, jobs are safe. If my company starts losing money, straight away pay is frozen, contractors laid off and costs cut. If the company continues to lose money, head count is cut and potentially company closes and everyone is unemployed.
    Now unlike the public sector nothing like 70/80% of company spend is on wages, that would not be entertained. Bonuses, jobs, hours and benefits are severely cut when times are hard. This is widely acceptable in the private sector. Pensions and health insurance are not guaranteed. I cannot retire with a fat lump sum and 2/3rds of my final wage and still get incremental increases at any age from as early as 40/65 ( army, prison guards etc.). It is expected that I work up to 60 hours a week and from home on my laptop. I am paying into a private pension that may be worthless in 30 years time.

However when the public sector employer is as broke as this government is and are paying nearly 80% of revenue on wages, for some reason loss off increments, a day off for 'the king', unvouched mileage and expenses and serious cuts seem to be unacceptable. Public sector workers seem to have some inexplicable logic for sidestepping the obvious fact your employer completely broke and does not have this luxury anymore.
    I would not like to see job losses in the public sector, but it is clear to avoid this that the benefits, increments and lump sum retirement pay outs have to be cut out. To be clear when and if the government is in the black, by all means reinstate these benefits. Can a public sector worker tell me where the gov is supposed to get the money. Please don't mention 'the banks', as they are being lent that money and have to pay back with interest so it is not the same thing.

I don't disagree with anythign there. As I said, the Croke Park agreement should be re-opened. What I did point out, was that public sector workers have been hit by reductions in take home pay, and new entrants in particular have been hit particularly hard. That's not to play the poor mouth by any means, but to point out some truths that are sometimes conveniently ignored.

Have many private sector workers taken wages cuts? Of course. Have the majority? That's a different thing entirely. Have all public sector workers taken cuts? Yes.
    Einhard, can you please - for the purposes of clarity - outline the cuts that all public sector workers have taken?

• Advertisement

Einhard, can you please - for the purposes of clarity - outline the cuts that all public sector workers have taken?

Well the December 2009 Budget cut PS pay as follows:

The first 30k saw a reduction of 5%

From 30-70k was cut by 7.5%

From 70k-125k saw a 10% reducation.

So, for example, someone earning €25000 in October 2009 would have earned €1250 less a few months later. I think we an all agree that €1250 is a not insubstantial reduction.

Furthermore, a pension levy was introduced. According to the ASTI, that operates at 3% on the first €15k and 10% thereafter.

Now, can we be honest here and admit to the basic reality that a pension levy of 5% where there had not been a levy previously is essentially a 5% cut in take home pay? I mean, that's what it is.

So immediately one can see that someone on €25k a year has, since 2009, taken a 5% direct pay cut, and a further reducation in pay of between 3 and 10% as a result of the pension levy.

Furthermore, new entrants have been hit even more. I know that, were I to get a full-time position in the morning, I'd earn one third less than a colleague who started two years ago. That's a pretty substantial difference.

There are of course the reductions brought about by the changing of overtime rules and the reform of rostering, particularly in the HSE. That also has had an impact on pay.

Now, before some people get all angsty about a post they probably haven't read, I'm merely providing some facts as I see them. This isn't a defence of the Croke Park agreement, but it is intended to provide some evidential basis for a debate.

Well the December 2009 Budget cut PS pay as follows:

The first 30k saw a reduction of 5%

From 30-70k was cut by 7.5%

From 70k-125k saw a 10% reducation.

So, for example, someone earning €25000 in October 2009 would have earned €1250 less a few months later. I think we an all agree that €1250 is a not insubstantial reduction.
    Ok, thanks for the numbers.
    Furthermore, a pension levy was introduced. According to the ASTI, that operates at 3% on the first €15k and 10% thereafter.

Now, can we be honest here and admit to the basic reality that a pension levy of 5% where there had not been a levy previously is essentially a 5% cut in take home pay? I mean, that's what it is.
    Well I'd agree that that represents a 5% cut in pay if you would agree that the value of a defined benefit pension scheme can and should be calculated in terms of its net present value and added onto the basic salary when considering how well PS workers are paid.

Well I'd agree that that represents a 5% cut in pay if you would agree that the value of a defined benefit pension scheme can and should be calculated in terms of its net present value and added onto the basic salary when considering how well PS workers are paid.

Hmm, that's a good one. It makes sense on one level, but how could one calculate the value of private sector pensions which are at the mercy of market forces? They can fall of course, but generally they rise over the long term, and I think it would be unfair were public sector pensions included in net pay while private sector were excluded on the basis merely that, at the moment, they are faring poorly on the markets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

kippy wrote: »
    Yeah, a boards poll. A true reflection of public sentiment and a real driving force for policy change in Ireland.

You wouldn't be saying that if it was 126 odd voting no!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Don't forget the fact that PS workers votes were bought by the FF administration for years.
    Benchmarking was a travesty and the sooner someone has the balls to beat the PS unions back into place, the better.
    Looks like it'll have to be Mr.Chopra or one of his boys though as the clowns in government aren't willing or able to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Please don't mention 'the banks', as they are being lent that money and have to pay back with interest so it is not the same thing.

There's no chance at all that we will ever again see the billions put into Anglo, INBS, AIB and EBS. Neither is there any agreement for them to pay back, either with or without interest, the capital pumped into them. That's about €48 billion to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Public sector workers are always very quick to point out that their pay has been cut since 2008. They never mention the massive pay rises they received from 2000 to 2007. In real terms they are still far better off than they were in 2000.

Isn't it strange that they dont want their pay benchmarked against pay in the private sector now?

The croke park agreement should be ripped up. The country cant afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

tanko wrote: »
    Public sector workers are always very quick to point out that their pay has been cut since 2008. They never mention the massive pay rises they received from 2000 to 2007. In real terms they are still far better off than they were in 2000.

Isn't it strange that they dont want their pay benchmarked against pay in the private sector now?

There are a lot of people better off now than they were in 2000. In the intervening period, the minimum wage, OAP, Social Welfare payments and pay in general has risen significantly in that period.
    So too have costs, one probably drives the other.
    Insurances of all types (in general) have gone up. Raw material for fuel, which has pushed up everything including commuting, goods and services, electricity and heating etc,
    A lot of unavoidable costs have gone up significently in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Poll should be how many have actually read the Croke Park Agreement !

http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/Public-Service-Agreement-2010-2014-Final-for-print-June-2010.pdf

ncdadam wrote: »
    Don't forget the fact that PS workers votes were bought by the FF administration for years.
    Benchmarking was a travesty and the sooner someone has the balls to beat the PS unions back into place, the better.
    Looks like it'll have to be Mr.Chopra or one of his boys though as the clowns in government aren't willing or able to do it.

Don't forget that all workers were bought off by the FF administration for years. Benchmarking was a farce, I agree. But wages in private industry also rose dramatically during that period, and much of that was as unsustainable as was the benchmarking increases.

The private sector also received massive pay increases as part of the very same social partnership process which brought benchmarking about.
    Isn't it strange that they dont want their pay benchmarked against pay in the
    private sector now?

If public sector pay was tp be benchmarked against private sector pay, then only a minority of those in the public sector would have received pay cuts. Every single public sector worker has suffered significant cuts in pay; that cannot be said for those in the private sector. So I'm not sure that your claim stands up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Every single public sector worker has suffered significant cuts in pay; that cannot be said for those in the private sector. So I'm not sure that your claim stands up.

Hundreds of thousands got a 100% pay cut

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands got a 100% pay cut

Benchmarking never benchmarked against those on social welfare, only those in employment in similar role. So that wouldn't really make any difference to the process.

Those 350000 people went from a wage of X to a social welfare payment, usually though no fault of their own, and obviously find themselves in tough times.
    Those that have remained in employment - the vast majority of those employed in the private sector have had mixed fortunes since 2008. I dont have any solid evidence to state that many have received pay rises or not however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Public sector workers have of course had pay cuts and increased hours etc but what a lot of them fail to realise is just how secure their jobs are. Permanent and pensionable public servants cant be sacked and will always have a job, even a reduced pay one. Im in the private sector and if i screw up, miss too many days or go off sick, then im out the door with my P45 and rightly so. In the public sector, there is meeting after meeting and letters passed until they are either given a warning or transferred- never fired!

It has been said many times but Public sector workers really should be grateful for what they have- between the security of a regular wage, pension, retirement fund etc they can never compare themselves to the hard up 400,000+ on the dole. I never really understood why you cant be sacked as a civil servant- i mean, you screw up, are a bad worker, go, end of story!

As for the Agreement, yes it should be edited. We simply cant afford to be paying the big cheeses at the top of the civil service massive wages and bonuses when the disabled people of this country have to spend a night outside Government buildings for change..:rolleyes:

Public sector workers have of course had pay cuts and increased hours etc but what a lot of them fail to realise is just how secure their jobs are. Permanent and pensionable public servants cant be sacked and will always have a job, even a reduced pay one. Im in the private sector and if i screw up, miss too many days or go off sick, then im out the door with my P45 and rightly so. In the public sector, there is meeting after meeting and letters passed until they are either given a warning or transferred- never fired!

It has been said many times but Public sector workers really should be grateful for what they have- between the security of a regular wage, pension, retirement fund etc they can never compare themselves to the hard up 400,000+ on the dole. I never really understood why you cant be sacked as a civil servant- i mean, you screw up, are a bad worker, go, end of story!

As for the Agreement, yes it should be edited. We simply cant afford to be paying the big cheeses at the top of the civil service massive wages and bonuses when the disabled people of this country have to spend a night outside Government buildings for change..:rolleyes:
    Those "jobs for life" are about 24 months at most from being not jobs for life.
    Terms and conditions of employment in the public service are being eroded annually.

Do you not think that people are happy to be working at the moment?

It's not a bad thing that the jobs for life thing will go to be honest. But there are far more things that need to be looked at initially to ensure the service improves.

There won't be 400000 on the dole for ever either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Too right it should be scrapped they are going to cut my dole now.
    Don't see why I should take a cut to keep them in a job.

Travesty that's what it is

You wouldn't be taking a cut to keep them in a job you would be taking a cut because Social Welfare is the biggest spending department in the country. Spending 21billion a year.

I'm a teacher, and can vouch for the fact that there have been huge reforms over the past five years
    In the overall scheme of things the "reforms" have been tiny. There was an Irish born + bred teacher on the radio recently who is now teaching in England, and he compared the teachers lot in the UK with here. In the UK, teachers hare paid considerably less, work longer hours, do lots of parent/teacher meetings in the evenings, have much less holidays , have less of a pension etc.

Public sector pay is still double what it was 10 years ago. Slash it 50%, now that would be a "huge reform".

Japer wrote: »
    In the overall scheme of things the "reforms" have been tiny. There was an Irish born + bred teacher on the radio recently who is now teaching in England, and he compared the teachers lot in the UK with here. In the UK, teachers hare paid considerably less, work longer hours, do lots of parent/teacher meetings in the evenings, have much less holidays , have less of a pension etc.
    I'd make a distinction between teachers and civil service pen-pushers. In Britain, as you rightly suggest, conditions for teachers are much worse. What impact do you think this has on the standard of teacher there? Would you rather teaching was a desirable profession, or one that only the desperate get into?

In Britain, as you rightly suggest, conditions for teachers are much worse.
    Not just for teachers - but pay and pension for the public service is worse in the UK than it is here. Average public sector salary in the UK is £21.5k a year - and there is controversy there about how high that is. And they have to pay household tax, water charges, higher fuel costs etc in the UK.

If I was a public servant or p.s. taxpayer in Germany, Denmark, Holland , UK etc I'd be mighty pissed off my taxes were were being lent to the Irish government to pay the public sector in Ireland so much more than they themselves get.

Would you rather teaching was a desirable profession, or one that only the desperate get into?

I have met teachers from UK and they are far from desperate.

Only someone here on double their equivalents pay abroad could have the arrogance to call the public servants of a G7 nation - and one of the ones who are bailing us out, with the IMF - desperate.;)

• Advertisement

I have met teachers from UK and they are far from desperate.

Only someone here on double their equivalents pay abroad could have the arrogance to call the public servants of a G7 nation - and one of the ones who are bailing us out, with the IMF - desperate.;)
    I'm not a teacher, but socialise a lot with teachers from various countries - those I've met from the UK are delighted to be out of there. Of course, not every teacher is desperate, or working in very bad conditions - I'm speaking in general terms.

But do you take my point, that it is in everyone's interest that good people go into teaching and stay there? And that the best way to do that is to ensure that working conditions are good?

(this is a separate point to our very high PS salaries)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I've no problem with the idea of scrapping the crime park agreement because there are a lot of inefficiencies in the public. And the fact fact that the CPA is protecting a lot of higher paid public servants who desperately need a pay cut.......WHAT GALLS AND ANNOYS ME Is that dumb people think that by doing away with it all these things will be fixed. And that its the only impediment for the government to make serious changes for efficiency and whatever. The CPA is there protecting lower wages earners as well.
    The gobernment aren't interested in efficiencies or real structural change. Its all talk and garbage. As soon as this CPA is finished the lower earners will be sucked dry and the higher servants will STILL have their wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Wrong.

The country can't afford to rip up the Croke Park Agreement.

Saving us billions and has brought in every single change in work practice that Govt could ever want whilst copper fastening unprecedented wage cuts with no industrial unrest.

If folk really want the CPA ripped up then they better be very careful what they wish for. Have folk thought about the industrial unrest that will hit this country and the associated job losses that it will cost in the private sector and how much further into recession and depression this country will spiral?

Wrong.

The country can't afford to rip up the Croke Park Agreement.

Saving us billions and has brought in every single change in work practice that Govt could ever want whilst copper fastening unprecedented wage cuts with no industrial unrest.

If folk really want the CPA ripped up then they better be very careful what they wish for. Have folk thought about the industrial unrest that will hit this country and the associated job losses that it will cost in the private sector and how much further into recession and depression this country will spiral?
    I dont think they have to be honest.

Best option is not to rip up anything, thats just keyboard warrior speak.
    Renegotiate, see what the unions will give, ask for more.

Have folk thought about the industrial unrest that will hit this country and the associated job losses that it will cost in the private sector

Average public sector pay in the UK is stg 21.5k a year, so if the public sector here had any decency or moral fibre they would reduce their average public sector pay dramatically from its current average of 49k a year without threatening or even dreaming of "industrial unrest" lol ( considering the state of the countrries financies, that we are being bailed out by the IMF / UK etc ).

Average public sector pay in the UK is stg 21.5k a year, so if the public sector here had any decency or moral fibre they would reduce their average public sector pay dramatically from its current average of 49k a year without threatening or even dreaming of "industrial unrest" lol ( considering the state of the countrries financies, that we are being bailed out by the IMF / UK etc ).

Why would ANYONE, and I include you and other posters in this thread on this, willingly give up a significant portion of their wages, when they have the ways and means to resist that?
    I mean my mortgage, food costs, insurances of every variety, electric, fuel, childcare etc are going to go down if I go to those providers and tell them they are among the highest in europe and I can no longer pay them.

Especially when you consider where close to 70 billion will have gone at the end of this process.

• Advertisement

Why would ANYONE, and I include you and other posters in this thread on this, willingly give up a significant portion of their wages, when they have the ways and means to resist that?
    moral fibre and doing whats good for the country / good for the medium and long term for EVERYONE.

The current situation of our grossly overpaid and overpensioned public service, propped by by huge foreign borrowing, is unsustainable.

moral fibre and doing whats good for the country / good for the medium and long term for EVERYONE.

The current situation of our grossly overpaid and overpensioned public service, propped by by huge foreign borrowing, is unsustainable.

Moral Fibre, really, at this late stage?
    Where exactly in the history of the world does moral fibre come into anything?
    It's very obviously not good for everyone.

As a rough guide.
    A PS Staff member on 45K per annum gross, would take home roughly 28K per annum.
    Assume a mortgage of 1000 per month.
    Assume childcare of 700 per month.
    Assume heating bill of 1500 per annum
    Assume insurances of all types (Car, Home (and associated), Health,) 1600 Per annum
    Assume soon to be arriving to a house near you, water and house tax. Perhaps 700 per annum,
    We're up at 24+K per annum on those expenses alone.
    Without getting into, food, clothing+footwear, Motor Tax, Motor Maintenance, and other expenses which could be reduced if required, TV/Phone/Broadband etc

Thats having 1 young kid.

You think a person in that, or similiar situation, who will not have access to medical card, totally free third level education etc will willingly give up 20-30% of their salary?

We all know that a harsh budget is coming.

I cannot condone the government hitting SW etc at a time when it is very apparent that there are simply not enough jobs to go around.
    I think it would serve people who are lucky enough to have their jobs that SW is people's INCOME(and in the vast,vast number of cases have become unemplyed through no fault of their own).
    Electricity, Gas, Food, Petrol etc has gone up for EVERYBODY and that includes people whose income comes in the form of SW. There is no wriggle room.

I cannot see how the Croke Park agreement cannot be re-visited at this time.

Moral Fibre, really, at this late stage?
    Its never too late to help the country...and ensure all of our mid and long term futures;)

Think of how our public service have creamed it this last ten or 12 years....and how much lower the public services are paid in other developed countries, for example. Think of the UK with average public sector pay of only 21.5k, and having to pay property tax, water rates, higher fuel costs etc.

Wait until you and your colleagues are on an average of less than that Kippy:D
    That day is certain to come, given our worsening finances and the fact the IMF etc is here.

I'm sorry, but you agree that we need mature debate and accurate comments, but then still insist that a majority (ie over 50%) of private sector workers have been laid off since this recesson hit. And that is simply untrue. You also state that a majority of private sector workers have taken a pay reduction. This is often stated as a fact, yet I have not seen any data to back it up, and have read and heard of reports over the past years that would indicate that it is not exactly the case. Apologies for not having said reports to hand right now, but even were I never to find them, it does not change the fact that you are claiming something for which you have no proof.

Of course the private sector has been hit hardest, how can anyone say otherwise?
    The construction sector is gone to the wall with little prospect of recovery anytime soon, pubs are closing as people have no money to go out anymore, every situation like this amounts to people out of work.

I said that many private sector workers have taken a reduction in wages just to keep their jobs, you can go on about data and links but if you look around you it is happening to people in every corner of the country.
    My brother has had to take a pay cut of €20 a week as the factory he works in is going bad, might not seem much to you but when you're in a low paid job it's alot.
    Private sector workers accept this because we are desperate to keep our jobs and don't want to see the company/emplpyer we work for go to the wall.

This is the day to day life of a lot of low/minimum wage private sector worker in the Ireland of 2012.

You want factual information, well there it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement