Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook €200-€300

Options
  • 05-09-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭

Just need something small and portable for browsing. I've had a look at Argos and there are 3 in the price range;

MSI Wind U180 for €215
    Asus Netbook for €250
    HP Mini for €300

So basically [a] is there anything better than this online and if not which of the 3 offers the best value?

I'm on the phone at the minute so I can't link them but they're on the website and I'll do it as soon as I get back.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Technically they appear to have identical specs-

- same 1.6Ghz dual core atom processor
    - same 1Gb RAM
    - same shared graphics
    - same 320Gb hard-drive

Personally I'd suggest for 30 or 40 quid more- getting a full blood laptop- with a full version of Windows 7 Home premium, full keyboard etc. (not to mention a far more powerful processor and more RAM)

A netbook is fine for casual browsing of the internet- but if you have anything to type- the keyboard will get cramped very very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cheers, tbh I have a decent specced Dell Studio so I'm only looking for a cheapie Netbook for portability and light browsing - like a keyboard proper so I wouldn't be a tablet fan. Just a particular personal preference really.

Is this any better;

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/HP-Mini-1104113sa-Netbook-Red/310292/2.5.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

"With the Intel graphics media accelerator 3600 you can view your content in spectacular quality and be dazzled by the greater level of detail within games!
    "

What games are they talking about?! My netbook with this chip can't even run 1080p youtube videos and it has a HDMI out on it! :eek:

to be honest with you, all netbooks are the same, spec wise. Just get one with a good battery life and keyboard.

Since all of them ship with 1GB of ram and have w7 starter installed, its advisable to get a 2GB stick of ram for about €12 extra (including delivery) from the likes of crucial.com to make it run much faster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In all fairness- the 3600 is a brandnew graphics chipset- even a current generation Core i7m is a 3000 rather than 3600 integrated GPU.

Integrated graphics are always going to mean compromises- and in the case of Intels integrated GPUs- you're probably 1 or 2 generations behind AMDs integrated Radeons (however probably 2-3 generations ahead CPU wise......)

Its a compromise. If you're outputting 1080p by HDMI- you will tax this beyond what it can reasonably be expected to do- it will manage- but by moving to the CPU rather than the GPU and it will also play other tricks to get around its limitations........

I can output 1080p by HDMI with my phone, if I so choose. I don't tend too- while it can do it- its not the best idea to do it other than on rare occasions for short periods of time.

If you want a hidef media player- buy a WD Live or something similar- there is no point in wrecking your head using this netbook for the purpose......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cheers lads, ended up getting a HP Mini 210 with the Beats Audio. Pretty good so far but I haven't really asked her any questions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement