Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fees

• 05-09-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Will parents soon have to choose which child to send to college.

At the moment registration fees are about 2300 euro each year so if you had two children in college its going to cost you nearly 5000 euro a year which for most family's is a lot of money.

Its made even worse by the fact that is very difficult to get part time work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Guess this is the best place to ask this...

whats the craic with college fees these days? I keep hearing about costing going up, etc. But know two lads who went to crumlin college. One in 2007 and one in 2009. They only both paid around 200 each...

So that 200 is now 2300 each?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Well there is a maintenance grant, isn't there? Basically, depending on the net income of your household, you'll get the registration fee paid and a grant of around €1500 (again depending on your situation). This more or less covers lower income families.

Furthermore, if you have a child starting college, you should encourage them not to rely on mammy and daddy as much - they're adults now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Guess this is the best place to ask this...

whats the craic with college fees these days? I keep hearing about costing going up, etc. But know two lads who went to crumlin college. One in 2007 and one in 2009. They only both paid around 200 each...

So that 200 is now 2300 each?! :eek:

No, Crumlin does PLC courses so they are far cheaper than Universities and ITs.

the fee is currently 2250 and set to rise by 250 a year until it reaches 3000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I hope that it never comes to that. I know it is already putting alot of pressure on parents including my own. :( And you are right in that it is almost impossible to find part time jobs and even if you can you will not be able to juggle most degrees and job simply becouse of workload. For some 'lighter' degrees it is possible but for most i dont think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Students should have to pay to go to college like in every other civilised country. Develop a loan system. Free education was a boom thing.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Students should have to pay to go to college like in every other civilised country. Develop a loan system. Free education was a boom thing.

As long as the loans aren't totally government loans or from any single bank. Look at what happened in the US. Big question is, when will banks start lending these sums so freely again.

Now there is a good idea. Lets make it impossible for people from lower class backgrounds to get a degree...

Well there is a maintenance grant, isn't there? Basically, depending on the net income of your household, you'll get the registration fee paid and a grant of around €1500 (again depending on your situation). This more or less covers lower income families.

Furthermore, if you have a child starting college, you should encourage them not to rely on mammy and daddy as much - they're adults now.

You can't really say they shouldn't depend on mammy & daddy and yet mention the grant which is based on the income of mammy and daddy. I'd be screwed without my parents, I don't get the grant because we're something like €50 over the limit, I can't get work but I do any little jobs I can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

For the sake of argument you have two children ( young adults ) aged 18 and 20 you work as a team leader in Tesco and your wife drives a truck your income is over the limit for the grant, plus you live in rural Roscomm so the chance of you children getting a part time job is minimal, both of your children are in college you cant afford the nearly 5000 euro for the reg fees for both ot them. How do you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭euddue

Now there is a good idea. Lets make it impossible for people from lower class backgrounds to get a degree...

do you know how loans work?

• Advertisement

We don't actually have free education. They might call it free, but fees are rising rapidly. We have no loan system or graduate tax system etc. and our 'free' fees are more expensive than full fees in some countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Students should have to pay to go to college like in every other civilised country.

Austria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Norway, Slovenia and Sweden are all uncivilised countries then, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

ATM, that's actually what's happened to me. My other two sistets are in college in their final years so it's fine, it's just a years wait. Can't do anything about it.

What annoys me though is with all the cuts to education, and the government pushing competitiveness and innovation, how will they extract the absolute best out of young people if they harshen barriers such as these in their way?

Surly they should be investing into 3rd level as much as possible because when things do recover, how will we avail of it as best we can?

Ireland isn't known for having much talent but we do have our intelligence and and a heavy emphasis on education so why be so short sighted, hurt our greatest export and screw ourselves long term?

Muir wrote: »
    You can't really say they shouldn't depend on mammy & daddy and yet mention the grant which is based on the income of mammy and daddy.

Really what I mean is not being totally dependent. The grant helps in the mean time but getting a part time job (or a job during the summer and saving up for next year) is a lot more helpful is gathering funds.
    I'd be screwed without my parents, I don't get the grant because we're something like €50 over the limit, I can't get work but I do any little jobs I can get.

Aren't there different categories? Like a net income of €40k would get more of a grant than a family who's net income is €60-70k?

When it comes to jobs, over half the people on my course have one (and I'm in a science course with lots of hours, so it's doable).

Anyway, I think parents should start saving up for these things years in advance if they wish to send their child to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I start Uni in a week and a half. £8,000 a year. That figure was decided by a group of people who, despite being born with a silver dildo up their arse, went to university for free. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

mariaalice wrote: »

At the moment registration fees are about 2300 euro each year so if you had two children in college its going to cost you nearly 5000 euro a year which for most family's is a lot of money.

I think if you have 2 members of the household in college that are siblings, you only have to pay the Contribution charge once.

euddue wrote: »
    do you know how loans work?

Yes. And do you know the pressure and debt that would be placed on students and familys. In america people can expect to pay 16000ish per year. Multiply that by 4-5 years and that is an increadable amount of money for 1 child.

And like someone else said we already have 'fees' of 2250 per year which is set to rise. That isn't 'free' education

Really what I mean is being totally dependent. The grant helps in the mean time but getting a part time job (or a job during the summer and saving up for next year) is a lot more helpful is gathering funds.

Aren't there different categories? Like a net income of €40k would get more of a grant than a family who's net income is €60-70k?

When it comes to jobs, over half the people on my course have one (and I'm in a science course with lots of hours, so it's doable).

Yeah, there are different categories. We're just over the limit to receive anything. It's also gross income, not net.

Fair play to the people on your course. I've applied for countless jobs and internships, I can't get anything. Luckily I know someone who is able to throw the odd bit of work my way which I do anytime I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

As a student, the best solution has to be a graduate tax once you start earning over a certain amount. The problem with loans is that not everyone will be able to get one.

This way, everyone contributes towards their own education costs and it can help fund the next generation. Its also non-discrimatory so it doesn't matter who Mammy or Daddy is!
    It also means that the working class family who send none of their children to college don't pay for my education.
    For example, the government pay close enough to 13000 a year for my course.

While some may bring up the problem of students emigrating, at the moment they're being educated at great expense to the country and leaving anyway.

Obviously students from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds deserve grants. For some a third level qualification is their only way out.

I think if you have 2 members of the household in college that are siblings, you only have to pay the Contribution charge once.

I don't think this is true, but I think the parents paying the fees can apply for tax relief once they are paying more than the 2250, so because they are paying for 2 or more, hence more than 2250, they may get tax relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Students should have to pay to go to college like in every other civilised country.

Why do you keep saying this when you've been proven so wrong before?
    You said the same thing last november and I called you out on it and yet here you are again.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75421191&postcount=70
    Anita Blow wrote: »
    Ireland has the 2nd highest tuition fees in Europe.

Other European countries which don't charge tuition fees:
    Austria
    Finland
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Greece
    Hungary
    Iceland
    Luxembourg
    Norway
    Slovenia
    Sweden
    http://www.studyineurope.eu/tuition-fees
    France and Germany have tuition fees of around €500 a year and Netherlands charges €1200-€2200. So I suppose now we shouldn't be like every other European with an interest in 3rd level education? In that case we'd actually be reducing the reg fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

It's not even people of lower class backgrounds though. My parents are not entitled to grants, my Dad is currently out of work because of recent health issues, yet even on my Mom's salary (she's a nurse, so it's been cut a lot) the government just look at the gross income and neglect the other expenses. So it's very difficult to get 4 children through college.

It is frustrating though and I know a few people in this situation as well. It's definitely not just contained to people of a lower class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Since fees were reduced/made free in the 90s, there has been feck all increase in the numbers of lower class people going to third level education.
    Before free third level eduction, people from that background could avail of grants.
    So it's not as if it's impossible....

Heroditas wrote: »
    Since fees were reduced/made free in the 90s, there has been feck all increase in the numbers of lower class people going to third level education.
    Before free third level eduction, people from that background could avail of grants.

As 1ZRed is pointing out, it's not just people from a lower class. It's actually more middle class who are struggling, hit with extra taxes and charges etc. yet this isn't considered when applying for the grant so you earn just too much gross income to get it. People who earn too much to get the grant but too little to afford the fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

mariaalice wrote: »

Parents can starts a college fund when junior is born. forward planning is required, just cos the government cannot do it does not mean individuals cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Heroditas wrote: »

As 1ZRed is pointing out, it's not just people from a lower class. It's actually more middle class who are struggling, hit with extra taxes and charges etc. yet this isn't considered when applying for the grant so you earn just too much gross income to get it. People who earn too much to get the grant but too little to afford the fees.

Oh I agree. Middle earners always get stung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I luckily started an undergrad in the UK last September, so I avoided the fee increase over there which is up to £9000 in many universities now. My course is costing me £3,275 a year.

I applied to the Student Loans Company in England, and they pay the university on my behalf every term.

I will not have to start paying the loan (which will amount to about 10 grand) until I am earning over £15,000 per annum. It will come out of my paycheck automatically, akin to a tax on my wages. It's worked out at a certain percentage, and won't be a major dent on my income.

I'm in a top university in the UK, and I'm not at all unhappy about having to pay fees for the quality of education I'm receiving.

Honestly, what put me off applying in Ireland was the registration fees.

I'm also from a low income background.

seriously, you want to go to college, you pay for it. whats wrong with that?

lots of other countries have a student loan thingy going on.
    if you want to attend a college, pay for it, get a loan or a part time job, pay your reg fees, which really are not that extortionate, then pay it back when you are finished and start work.

i bet it would stop A LOT of drop outs in the first year.
    if these students had to pay for themselves they would
    a. decide on a course they were atually interested in, instead of one in a college based in a city they fancied living in!!
    b. actually try to do a bit of work at the course they were in.

and i was a student, a couple of times. seen it, know how it goes.
    you wanna go, you pay for it yourself, thats fair enough i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I hate this stupid argument that people make about parents 'not being able to afford college if we introduce fees'. We already have fees FFS. In Ireland you have to pay in or around 2000 in two installments during each year if you aren't entitled to grants. Even if you are eligible, you still have to pay until it's assessed, which is usually the following March because most VECs are so understaffed and badly run. In the UK you pay nothing until you leave university altogether and get a job paying over X amount every year. I graduated in 2009 in the UK and have yet to give 1 cent to my university, and I have done nothing illegal, I just haven't earned over the threshold set for repayment. Why should countries have free third level education? Why should the guy who sweeps the road or collects the bins or does any other lower paid job not requiring a degree have to pay for someone else to go study when they can't have or just don't want the opportunity? If you want something, you should pay for it. The levels that are paid for 3rd level are a different matter entirely, they are a f*cking joke.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »

if you want to attend a college, pay for it, get a loan or a part time job, pay your reg fees, which really are not that extortionate, then pay it back when you are finished and start work.

a. decide on a course they were atually interested in, instead of one in a college based in a city they fancied living in!!

But we don't have a loan system where you pay it back after. You get a loan, you need someone else to guarantee it, and you start paying back straight away. A job is a wonderful idea except for the whole lack of them at the moment.
    Frankly I don't know anyone who came to college just to move to a city they fancied.

Many people drop out in first year, especially those who are that bit younger (maybe 17) and aren't actually ready for it yet. That would happen regardless. I also think people who get the grant or who have parents who really struggle to put them through college appreciate it and work quite hard, in my experience anyway.

token101 wrote: »
    I hate this stupid argument that people make about parents 'not being able to afford college if we introduce fees'. We already have fees FFS. In Ireland you have to pay in or around 2000 in two installments during each year if you aren't entitled to grants. Even if you are eligible, you still have to pay until it's assessed, which is usually the following March because most VECs are so understaffed and badly run. In the UK you pay nothing until you leave university altogether and get a job paying over X amount every year. I graduated in 2009 in the UK and have yet to give 1 cent to my university, and I have done nothing illegal, I just haven't earned over the threshold set for repayment. Why should countries have free third level education? Why should the guy who sweeps the road or collects the bins or does any other lower paid job not requiring a degree have to pay for someone else to go study when they can't have or just don't want the opportunity? If you want something, you should pay for it. The levels that are paid for 3rd level are a different matter entirely, they are a f*cking joke.

But how will people afford fees if the government don't put in a loan or taxation system for students? It's not people saying they aren't willing, they're saying it can't be afforded because there is no system like that in place in Ireland. Also, no point asking why should countries have free fees for education, we don't have free fees, we have some of he highest in Europe.

I hate the argument about other people using their tax to pay my fees. I will be paying that tax back when I get a job. My parents and siblings who didn't go to college have paid tax which I'm sure they would be delighted helped me go to college. People seem to forget that the families of the people going to college usually pay tax too, as will most of the people when they graduate.

But we don't have a loan system where you pay it back after. You get a loan, you need someone else to guarantee it, and you start paying back straight away. A job is a wonderful idea except for the whole lack of them at the moment.
    Frankly I don't know anyone who came to college just to move to a city they fancied.

Many people drop out in first year, especially those who are that bit younger (maybe 17) and aren't actually ready for it yet. That would happen regardless. I also think people who get the grant or who have parents who really struggle to put them through college appreciate it and work quite hard, in my experience anyway.

you obviously dont know too many kids going to college.
    where the college is located is a MAJOR factor in where they go.
    it was when i went to college and it is now.
    its like, oh i fancy doing arts, languages, someother crap, where is it?
    oh, well i wanna go to galway so ill just apply for something in galway.
    thats the truth, thats the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Don't have TWINS. Above all else, for heaven's sake, don't have TRIPLETS!!

But how will people afford fees if the government don't put in a loan or taxation system for students? It's not people saying they aren't willing, they're saying it can't be afforded because there is no system like that in place in Ireland. Also, no point asking why should countries have free fees for education, we don't have free fees, we have some of he highest in Europe.

I hate the argument about other people using their tax to pay my fees. I will be paying that tax back when I get a job. My parents and siblings who didn't go to college have paid tax which I'm sure they would be delighted helped me go to college. People seem to forget that the families of the people going to college usually pay tax too, as will most of the people when they graduate.

There should be some sort of loan system in place, although this would inevitably push up public spending to start with. Or a graduate tax should be imposed on people who have had the benefit of third level education in this country. A tax which wouldn't have to encumber those who have chosen not to undertake a degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

token101 wrote: »
    Why should the guy who sweeps the road or collects the bins or does any other lower paid job not requiring a degree have to pay for someone else to go study
    Why should I pay for other people to get their viagra on the medical card paid for by my tax money?
    Why should I pay to subsidise infrastructure in rural Ireland when I've chosen to live in a city?
    Why should I pay for rural airport/transport subventions when I live in a city and don't avail of them?
    Why should I pay for extra resources to be allocated to disadvantaged schools when I've never attended one and have no need of one?

It's silly to say "I don't avail of a government service, therefore why should I pay for it" because as a society we have agreed to pay a set rate of tax no matter how many government services you use and that we will benefit as a whole by doing that. In this case, providing a high-quality education at a relatively low cost provides many benefits to society like increased investment, increased tax-take due to having more white collar jobs (Taxpayer with a degree pays on average 60% more in tax than one without) and it allows for greater social mobility from lower classes to higher classes.

I always find it funny that there's some who would rather cut the ~€1.5 billion a year the government spends on covering Third Level tuition fees which provides a massive return on investment, rather than the ~€20 billion per year we spend on Social Welfare which is essential dead money.

• Advertisement

you obviously dont know too many kids going to college.
    where the college is located is a MAJOR factor in where they go.
    it was when i went to college and it is now.
    its like, oh i fancy doing arts, languages, someother crap, where is it?
    oh, well i wanna go to galway so ill just apply for something in galway.
    thats the truth, thats the way it is.

Considering I'm a student I actually know loads of people going to college. Anyone I know picked the subject they liked, found out which colleges offered the subject, which ones had a good reputation for the subject etc. and chose based on that. Location can be a big influencing factor if you want to stay at home but people don't usually pick a city, they pick a course and a college that offers it, has a good reputation for it etc. Never, ever heard of anyone say, 'oh I wanna move to Galway, I'll just fill out my CAO with random Galway courses'.

Why should I pay for other people to get their viagra on the medical card paid for by my tax money?
    Why should I pay to subsidise infrastructure in rural Ireland when I've chosen to live in a city?
    Why should I pay for rural airport/transport subventions when I live in a city and don't avail of them?
    Why should I pay for extra resources to be allocated to disadvantaged schools when I've never attended one and have no need of one?

It's silly to say "I don't avail of a government service, therefore why should I pay for it" because as a society we have agreed to pay a set rate of tax no matter how many government services you use and that we will benefit as a whole by doing that. In this case, providing a high-quality education at a relatively low cost provides many benefits to society like increased investment, increased tax-take due to having more white collar jobs (Taxpayer with a degree pays on average 60% more in tax than one without) and it allows for greater social mobility from lower classes to higher classes.

I always find it funny that there's some who would rather cut the ~€1.5 billion a year the government spends on covering Third Level tuition fees which provides a massive return on investment, rather than the ~€20 billion per year we spend on Social Welfare which is essential dead money.

Completely agree with this. Also, if people can't afford to go to college and there are no jobs, they will most likely end up on the Social Welfare, which in the long run will cost the state more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

So tell us when and where did you go to college and how did you fund it?

Butterface wrote: »
    There should be some sort of loan system in place, although this would inevitably push up public spending to start with. Or a graduate tax should be imposed on people who have had the benefit of third level education in this country. A tax which wouldn't have to encumber those who have chosen not to undertake a degree.

If they kept fees as are, and people paid say 1000-2000 a year as is currently, and then also had a taxation or loan system for afterwards then it wouldn't greatly increase public spending to start with. Things would be the same for now but they would get more money back in 3-4 years. But the government want the money now so fees go up instead and I don't believe any sort of loan or taxation system is even being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Why do you keep saying this when you've been proven so wrong before?
    You said the same thing last november and I called you out on it and yet here you are again.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75421191&postcount=70
    Originally Posted by Anita Blow
    Ireland has the 2nd highest tuition fees in Europe.

Other European countries which don't charge tuition fees:
    Austria
    Finland
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Greece
    Hungary
    Iceland
    Luxembourg
    Norway
    Slovenia
    Sweden

The link you provided actually disproves your own argument, because according to the website, Ireland only charges tuition fees to some students who don't meet the specific requirements.

According to a recent OECD report, Ireland ranks among the top countries in the world for having low or negligible levels of tuition fees.

And in return for paying virtually no fees, our students benefit from some of the longest teaching / classroom hours of the OECD countries.

You can read about it here: http://www.oecd.org/education/highereducationandadultlearning/48631550.pdf

I'm not sure where you got the information that Ireland has the 2nd highest tuition fees in Europe, but as far as I can see, it doesn't. Perhaps you meant registration fees? And if you did, maybe you could provide a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

A very nice man called J.P McManus paid for my third level primary degree (All Ireland Scholarship). Made it possible for me to go to college which was great. Starting my Masters next week. If only there were more like him. I feel so lucky so I put my heart and soul into my education.

Musefan wrote: »
    A very nice man called J.P McManus paid for my third level primary degree (All Ireland Scholarship). Made it possible for me to go to college which was great. Starting my Masters next week. If only there were more like him. I feel so lucky so I put my heart and soul into my education.

Similar to myself, I managed to get some help for some of my course from an external source who heard about my difficulty getting fees paid. I would genuinely love to have the money to do this for other people when I start working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Similar to myself, I managed to get some help for some of my course from an external source who heard about my difficulty getting fees paid. I would genuinely love to have the money to do this for other people when I start working.

Me too. It would be the first thing I would do if I won the lottery. Even if I could sponsor one person it would be great but I suppose my priority would probably be my own kids!

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So tell us when and where did you go to college and how did you fund it?

i went to college in DIT, i worked part time, late night thurs and friday and all day sat.
    i paid my own way.

i wanted to go to dublin, thats why i went there, i had friends who wanted to live in galway or limerick, thats why they chose there!!

If they kept fees as are, and people paid say 1000-2000 a year as is currently, and then also had a taxation or loan system for afterwards then it wouldn't greatly increase public spending to start with. Things would be the same for now but they would get more money back in 3-4 years. But the government want the money now so fees go up instead and I don't believe any sort of loan or taxation system is even being discussed.

[HTML]http://educatetogethertramore.com/content/pdf/fg-policy.pdf[/HTML]Skip to page 5 about Third Level education. It was in Fine Gael's election manifesto. It was also brought up in last December's budget, think they set up a think tank to examine different possibilities/alternatives to the current system.

Considering I'm a student I actually know loads of people going to college. Anyone I know picked the subject they liked, found out which colleges offered the subject, which ones had a good reputation for the subject etc. and chose based on that. Location can be a big influencing factor if you want to stay at home but people don't usually pick a city, they pick a course and a college that offers it, has a good reputation for it etc. Never, ever heard of anyone say, 'oh I wanna move to Galway, I'll just fill out my CAO with random Galway courses'.

b****x, all students think about where they will be in college.

true when i was a student, true now when my best friends daughter and all her friends are going to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

i went to college in DIT, i worked part time, late night thurs and friday and all day sat.
    i paid my own way.

i wanted to go to dublin, thats why i went there, i had friends who wanted to live in galway or limerick, thats why they chose there!!
    Was that during the celtic tiger years?

b****x, all students think about where they will be in college.

true when i was a student, true now when my best friends daughter and all her friends are going to college.

Of course the location of where you're going to spend 3/4 years studying factors in which universities students choose.

In many cases, it's the deciding factor. Especially since many universities in Ireland offer similar degrees, especially in Arts subjects.

i paid my own way.

So you give out about people picking a college based on the city it's in because that's what you chose to do? People are picking courses based on what they like and based on job prospects for themselves afterwards. You're the first person I've ever heard of deciding on college because of the city it's in.

When did you go to college? It's great you worked but for most people it's not an option now because there are so few jobs, and jobs that were entry level before now demand 2-3 years experience because they have so many applicants they can afford to make these demands. An 18 year old going to college wont have that experience.

I started college first in 2004 - back then, fees were around €750, up until 2006 at least, when I dropped out. When I returned to do a new course in 2007, they had increased to €900. So in three years, they only increased by €150. Then, in either 2008 or 2009, they increased to €1500. Effectively doubling from previous years.

Genuinely think introducing full fees is the wrong thing to do; if anything it will massively hamper the education system in this country, as most will not be able to afford it. As for student loans, it's so easy to say that now, where a person has finished college and won't have to face it, but what of those that do, that will have to finish college crippled by loans for the majority of their lives?

• Advertisement
Advertisement