Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview.

Options
  • 05-09-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭

So how many people are going to go and get this then? Is there many..I get the kinda older crowd getting it to watch Fairly ****e and then but for all the rest of the programmes that RTE provide as tis mostly RTE are people going to pay for it.. I can honestly say that there isnt a hope in hell I will pay anymore for watching the crap they show...

Even looking at the new line up there must be a bunch of tools running it. The only one i get is TNG which I do really enjoy, between documentaries and the odd programmes they show, but the rest nahh rubbish... I would much prefer to pay the TV licence and then go through the net which I kinda dislike as if too many people think like this then RTE will be ne more but then they have done it to themselfs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well, we got a freesat box with digital tuner a few years ago, for the free english channels mainly. We don't watch a whole pile of telly, but the news is handy on RTE. Better to buy that one-off box than pay some kind of subscription every month for something we barely use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

What is the free sat box then? I would be the same I try not to watch too much tele i am more for watching the movies. We tried the UPC last year for a year and found twas the same ding dong every day more repeats..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Milly33 wrote: »
    So how many people are going to go and get this then?
    Yes quite a lot will, because believe it or not, not everyone is you.

Large numbers of people no longer want to pay SKY or UPC to watch incessant adds and repeats.
    The free option is Free Sat for the British and other Sat channels, combined with Saorview for the Irish ones.

If anyone wants to watch any Irish telly after October they will either have to pay a subscription to Sky, UPC.. etc, or get Saorview/Saorsat there is no other option.
    I'll be getting Saorview once they change over my local transmitter in a few weeks, and the only trouble I will have to go to to make this major change, is press the "Find Digital Channels" button on my remote, I'm dreading the inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

So how many people are going to go and get this then? Is there many..I get the kinda older crowd getting it to watch Fairly ****e and then but for all the rest of the programmes that RTE provide as tis mostly RTE are people going to pay for it.. I can honestly say that there isnt a hope in hell I will pay anymore for watching the crap they show...

Even looking at the new line up there must be a bunch of tools running it. The only one i get is TNG which I do really enjoy, between documentaries and the odd programmes they show, but the rest nahh rubbish... I would much prefer to pay the TV licence and then go through the net which I kinda dislike as if too many people think like this then RTE will be ne more but then they have done it to themselfs

you can buy a saorview box for under €50 and just plug it in... a once off cheap investment for a lot of people who don't wan't to pay monthly for sky / upc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Yup,,as above.. ^^^^

A cheap box hooked up to a sat dish,and you can have 40 or so fairly good channels. You can get over 100,but most are ****e.

There are even a few movie channels there,including Film4 which is good.

There is a sticky on the Sat Forum which lists all the free channels you can get for a one of payment.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

Well worth it,to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

How old is your tv? If it not too old it may have a saorview compatible tuner already in it and you won't have to pay a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

evilivor wrote: »
    How old is your tv? If it not too old it may have a saorview compatible tuner already in it and you won't have to pay a cent.

You still need to hook it up to an aeriel in the roof don't you?

Ludo wrote: »
    You still need to hook it up to an aeriel in the roof don't you?

IF the OP is already getting TG4 then their existing aerial is perfectly fine.

In many cases, in the city at very least, rabbits ears which can be purchased for a couple of euro, will do perfectly well for receiving saorview.

Yes quite a lot will, because believe it or not, not everyone is you.

Are you sure. Cus like im pretty sure im fecking fantastic :) and if everyone was me it would be such a great place!! Thats a joke by the way stop being a fecking muppet...

Are you sure. Cus like im pretty sure im fecking fantastic :) and if everyone was me it would be such a great place!! Thats a joke by the way stop being a fecking muppet...
    A muppet would be someone who thinks their tv viewing preferences would have any bearing on tv viewing habits in general.

Here might give you an idea of the reality, or here if you don't trust Wiki.
    In Ireland the national public service broadcaster remains the strongest player in the TV market while British channels and companies continue to play an important role. The public service channels, RTÉ1 and RTÉ2, had a combined market share of 33.1% in 2010 (almost 5% less than in 2006). The private channel, TV3 (launched in 1998) had a 12.4% market share, and is now the second most popular channel. The other two national Irish broadcasters are the public service Irish language channel TG4, and the entertainment channel 3e (owned by TV3). The five most popular UK channels are ranked in the following order: BBC1, UTV, S4C, BBC2, and Sky 1 (with a combined share of 15.1% in 2010).

• Advertisement

Do you have nothing better to be doing cu, never even spotted you on boards..Go back to bed and hopefully youll wake up a bit happier..

Ah out TV is pretty old id say we would have to get the box alrite for it..I have no problem paying for the soarview if there was anyhting decent on it and if you we didnt pay the TV licence also..Just seems a bit rich to be charging for it now...

Do you have nothing better to be doing cu, never even spotted you on boards..Go back to bed and hopefully youll wake up a bit happier..

Ah out TV is pretty old id say we would have to get the box alrite for it..I have no problem paying for the soarview if there was anyhting decent on it and if you we didnt pay the TV licence also..Just seems a bit rich to be charging for it now...
    You go on about RTE as if nobody watches it, yet it is by far the most watched station in the country.
    You go on about RTE charging for Saorview, yet they don't.
    Why don't you expect to be pulled up on either of these?

I showed you the ratings for Irish TV viewing preferences, any comment?

The only "charge" for Saorview is buying the equipment to watch it. Just like a tape recorder won't play CD's or a video recorder won't play DVD's an old telly won't pick up a digital signal so you need a new one or a signal decoder, quite simple really. I suppose you moaned about the introduction of digital technology with CD's or DVD's and called it "charging" due to having to buy new equipment, because that's exactly what you are doing here. Tech changes with time, that's why we don't have gramophone records or use horses and carriages anymore, this change to the way TV signals are broadcast is Europe wide and will eventually be world wide, if we in Ireland didn't change with the rest of the world then you really would have something to moan about.

I see you did not take my advice and go for a nap then.That or your fecked and need more sleep

I see you did not take my advice and go for a nap then.That or your fecked and need more sleep
    Why because I disagree with what you wrote?
    That is something (along with not everyone thinking the same as you) you will have to get used to in life.

I am sure your a beautiful person deep down inside :)

Have I stumbled in to the television or broadcasting forum by accident?
    To make this thread vaguely Cork related...actually i cant...sod it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

This Thread has gone Miles off topic..

Time for the lock and key... :cool:

I am sure your a beautiful person deep down inside :)
    Look sorry if I came across a bit strong earlier, it was your "I get the kinda older crowd getting it to watch Fairly ****e" comment, it gave me an impression (probably wrong) that you were saying something like, "nobody watches RTE except older people hence RTE is pretty irrelevant to the population at large" that got my back up. It is as important that the lone elderly person watching a black and white portable out in the wild west is served by the nations broadcaster as much as the youngster watching (non) reality TV in Dublin.

The thing is that RTE (RTE1 in particular) really is by far the most watched station in the country, and Saorview is free hence the name, (not many ever considered it "charging" for radio because you had to buy a radio to listen to it).

Was that what it was all about :) I ment Fair City hahaha... Otherwise known as fair ****e...

I would prefer to sit down and watch the older programmes on tv rather than any of these new ones but it just seems that, ok i do not mind paying the tv licence and having the 4 channels for free but when it comes to paying more again for it to watch programmes that are just repeats upon repeats I think is all a bit much...

Also another thing really ticks me off with them is that the cannot get their seasonal programmes right..Christmas movies at Halloween, Halloween movies at Christmas..Come tisnt that difficult...

Although I love to keep things non digital or lets say have books rather than the kindle, I just think they are going to kill the Irish Programming which is a shame for the good ones out there

Was that what it was all about :) I ment Fair City hahaha... Otherwise known as fair ****e...

I would prefer to sit down and watch the older programmes on tv rather than any of these new ones but it just seems that, ok i do not mind paying the tv licence and having the 4 channels for free but when it comes to paying more again for it to watch programmes that are just repeats upon repeats I think is all a bit much...
    Yes I know what Fair ****e, or as it's more usually called Fair(ly) Shity means.

Well, until the day comes when TV stations start giving out free tellys you are always going to have to buy the equipment to watch it, as people have had to do since day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Although I love to keep things non digital or lets say have books rather than the kindle, I just think they are going to kill the Irish Programming which is a shame for the good ones out there

Who's going to kill Irish programming?

Totally confused by your post there milly. You like old programs but don't want repeats? Don't see how saorview is gonna kill anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Noone has pointed out the fact that saorview is merely a scam to milk more money out of the public. You need a set top box per tv in order to watch telly after the switch over. Meaning any non-soarview tvs will become unusable.

I agree that the programs provided by RTE are absolute dirt and really have to question those statistics provided above. My guess is that they're taking the portion of the public that uses ariels only and not digital input (Sky, UPC, etc) which would prove that RTE's market share as a whole in ireland is considerably lower than they claim.

martomcg wrote: »
    My guess is that they're taking the portion of the public that uses ariels only and not digital input (Sky, UPC, etc) which would prove that RTE's market share as a whole in ireland is considerably lower than they claim.

Your guess is wrong. Audience reporting covers terrestrial, satellite and cable reception for both analogue and digital platforms as well as time-shifted viewing etc.

Your guess is wrong. Audience reporting covers terrestrial, satellite and cable reception for both analogue and digital platforms as well as time-shifted viewing etc.

Willing to admit i'm wrong. Although I did read it wrong originally. Thought it was 33% for each RTE1 and 2 not both combined.

RTE2 with 8% is pathetically low.

Just means 67% of Irish viewers are watching anything except for RTE and are yet paying TV licences to cover Tubridy and Kennys wages.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0228/rte.html

Makes me sick to think they're earning so much (albiet these figures will likely have changed since 2006)

Noone has pointed out the fact that saorview is merely a scam to milk more money out of the public. You need a set top box per tv in order to watch telly after the switch over. Meaning any non-soarview tvs will become unusable.
    Which is about as stupid as saying, the introduction of vinyl records then magnetic tape and then CD's were scams to milk money out of the public after people bought cylinder playing gramophones, turntables and tape decks.

A scam by who by the way? This isn't something RTE dreamt up, it is a positive technological change to the way TV is broadcast, soon it will be as easy to buy an "old" tv in a shop as it is to buy a Ford Model T in a car dealership.
    Would you prefer if we stayed behind while the rest of Europe and then the World moves on?

Which is about as stupid as saying, the introduction of vinyl records then magnetic tape and then CD's were scams to milk money out of the public after people bought cylinder playing gramophones, turntables and tape decks.

A scam by who by the way? This isn't something RTE dreamt up, it is a positive technological change to the way TV is broadcast, soon it will be as easy to buy an "old" tv in a shop as it is to buy a Ford Model T in a car dealership.
    Would you prefer if we stayed behind while the rest of Europe and then the World moves on?

Are you actually for real? The sentence directly underneath that one explains exactly how its trying to milk money. Why not introduce 1 box thats installed in the attic that will distribute the signal to all TV's?

Technicallly your supposed to own a TV licence for each TV you have in your house, the introduction of this means you cant get 'free' TV on them now unless you buy an extra saorview box.

Technicallly your supposed to own a TV licence for each TV you have in your house, the introduction of this means you cant get 'free' TV on them now unless you buy an extra saorview box.

No you are not. One television licence will cover multiple pieces of equipment in a household.

No you are not. One television licence will cover multiple pieces of equipment in a household.

This previously was the case but has indeed now been changed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html#l1f4da
    If I have two television sets in my home do I need licences for them both?

If the equipment capable of receiving a television signal (for example a television set or a personal computer) is held in a household (an apartment, flat or a house), then one television licence will cover multiple pieces of equipment. In other words, if you have a television set in your living room and kitchen, one television licence covers both sets.

• Advertisement

This previously was the case but has indeed now been changed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html#l1f4da

It has always prevailed that a licence is required per address, rather than per person or per set.

Advertisement