Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

martomcg wrote: »
    This previously was the case but has indeed now been changed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html#l1f4da

What has changed? Are you saying that 2 TV's in 1 household = 2 Licenses? If so, then you are completely and utterly incorrect.

It is clearly stated that multiple 'devices' require 1 license per household.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I always thought twas one licence for the household also.

And ne dont be silly there is a big differance between watching repeats with obviously will happen with old movies and such, and lets say watching a whole weekend of repeats upon repeats... Can they not think of something better to show...

And by who I mean buy whoever came up with the bright idea of this saorview. it is just fine as is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Milly33 wrote: »
    And by who I mean buy whoever came up with the bright idea of this saorview. it is just fine as is

The old analogue broadcasting system is being switched off all-over the European Union as broadcasters switch to digital to free up spectrum for other communications.

Ireland has no choice - it's like moving from AM to FM, from black and white to colour, dial-ip to broadband, it's an improvement due to technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

blindsider wrote: »
    What has changed? Are you saying that 2 TV's in 1 household = 2 Licenses? If so, then you are completely and utterly incorrect.

It is clearly stated that multiple 'devices' require 1 license per household.

I'm saying when the TV licence was first introduced it was per tv not per household.

I'm saying that it is now per household as per the article i attached to my post.

I'm saying when the TV licence was first introduced it was per tv not per household.

I'm saying that it is now per household as per the article i attached to my post.

It has always been per household, not per device.

• Advertisement

"Technicallly your supposed to own a TV licence for each TV you have in your house, the introduction of this means you cant get 'free' TV on them now unless you buy an extra saorview box."

You posted this yesterday at 09:09 - so now I'm confused. :confused:

Saorview info has been in the public domain for some time now. They haven't done a bad job in publicising it.

How many TV's do you have to cause you such inconvenience?

"Technicallly your
    (sic) supposed to own a TV licence for each TV you have in your house, the introduction of this means you cant get 'free' TV on them now unless you buy an extra saorview box."

You posted this yesterday at 09:09 - so now I'm confused. :confused:

Saorview info has been in the public domain for some time now. They haven't done a bad job in publicising it.

blindsider wrote: »

One TV per room, so 4 in bedrooms, 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the sitting room. Total of 6 TV's.

Sure as **** not buying 6 saorview boxes or upgrading 6 perfect TV's to Saorview enabled ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

What is the free sat box then?

There is plenty of info on the Terrestrial and Satellite forums.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Your local electrical retailer will be able to explain all to you. If you are a Sky customer you buy the so-called combi box (COMBIned Saorview and satellite tuners in one box) and connect it to your Sky dish and an aerial. You will then get all the Irish channels and all the main UK channels (BBC, ITV, Ch4 and so on) with no bills every month.

There are a number of Irish companies selling the equipment online and their sites have a lot of useful info. Just Google "free satellite TV".

This is all legal, no dodgy boxes involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I always thought twas one licence for the household also.

And ne dont be silly there is a big differance between watching repeats with obviously will happen with old movies and such, and lets say watching a whole weekend of repeats upon repeats... Can they not think of something better to show...

Are you serious? Analogue is blocky and a terrible picture. Saorview is digital with a brilliant picture especially on a HD television. I love having RTE 2 in full high definition for sports and other programs. And stop saying RTE, Net 2, Tv3 etc are crap, they are the best stations on TV, better than anything SKY have to offer.

• Advertisement

One TV per room, so 4 in bedrooms, 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the sitting room. Total of 6 TV's.

Sure as **** not buying 6 saorview boxes or upgrading 6 perfect TV's to Saorview enabled ones.

Better of buying the digital tvs, well for your main viewing area anyway. Cant tell you how good it is to have RTE2 in full HD for sporting events!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

6 TV's in one house. Holy moly that's a lot of telly watching, especially with only an aerial with 4 channels between them. Not much going on in Mullingar maybe.

Sell the TVs in the kitchen and bedrooms and you've more than enough for the saorview box.

Still wondering why this is in the Cork City forum....

pwurple wrote: »
    6 TV's in one house. Holy moly that's a lot of telly watching, especially with only an aerial with 4 channels between them. Not much going on in Mullingar maybe.

Sell the TVs in the kitchen and bedrooms and you've more than enough for the saorview box.

Still wondering why this is in the Cork City forum....

You can pick up 8 channels with the aerial! And there's someone in each of the rooms so doubt they'd be happy me selling their TV's! One in the sitting room and kitchen may be excessive but even at home thats the way it always has been. (Mullingar is home, actually living in Dublin)

Think i'll just get a box instead of paying a TV licence! ;)

I thought it was just RTE 1, 2, TV3 and TnaG.
    What am I missing?

pwurple wrote: »
    I thought it was just RTE 1, 2, TV3 and TnaG.
    What am I missing?

BBC1
    BBC2
    UTV
    Channel 4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I agree that the programs provided by RTE are absolute dirt ...SNIP

That is a LOT of tvs for watching absolute dirt :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

really i had not heard of these also...Thought maybe it was the radio stations and that...mm interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

BBC1
    BBC2
    UTV
    Channel 4

but NOT on an aerial in Cork.

Saorview has

RTE1
    RTE1+1 (RTE1 delayed by an hour)
    RTE2 HD (providing you have a HD TV, otherwise its just RTE2, no HD)
    RTE News Now
    TV3
    TG4
    3e
    RTE junior

plus RTE Digital Aertel, and 10 radio stations.

You'll get all those on a Saorview box or TV. If you want the UK channels then you need to buy a Saorview box with a satellite tuner, or a Saorview TV with a satellite tuner.

BBC1
    BBC2
    UTV
    Channel 4

You already have a digitial signal coming in by the look of it. The old aerials didn't have those.

You're most of the way there.

Too people dissing saorview, its fantastic. RTE 2 HD on a digital television for sports is excellent. Champions league, GAA, Rugby in HD is excellent especially on a HD TV. Analogue signal is terrible, its like getting rid of VHS and bringing in DVD's. Need to get with the times people!

• Advertisement

areyawell wrote: »
    Too people dissing saorview, its fantastic. RTE 2 HD on a digital television for sports is excellent. Champions league, GAA, Rugby in HD is excellent especially on a HD TV. Analogue signal is terrible, its like getting rid of VHS and bringing in DVD's. Need to get with the times people!

Hurling is a game made for High Definition - it looks terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

areyawell wrote: »
    Analogue is blocky .
    :confused:

Is 'blocking' in the picture not an artefact of a poor digital rather than a poor analogue signal (which would be snow/grain on the picture) ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

evilivor wrote: »
    , from black and white to colour, dial-ip to broadband, it's an improvement due to technology.

Not an appropriate comparison. Colour (the PAL system) was an additive to the the existing TV signal here, not a new TV transmission with the previous one being phased out. Existing Black and White TVs continued to work after the introduction of colour, viewers could continue to watch black and white TVs if that is all they wanted or could afford. A significant number of people, especially in rural areas, persisted with just a single B/W TV in the house well into the 1980s!

And is dial-up not still available if one is desperate for it?

Advertisement