Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QL strengthening suggestions?

Options
  • 05-09-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Long time reader here and ultra rare poster but need some advice!
    Having some issues with my QL of late and seem to be getting minor strains from time to time mainly on my left hand side!
    Its got to the point where im becoming paranoid to deadlift for fear of a pull!
    Took the complete piss today when i tweaked it putting on a trainer in the changing rooms?
    Just getting past rotator cuff issues and with a torn ACL i think someone is trying to tell me something :p!
    Any advice on how i can improve my QL's would be great!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Any anti lateral flexion exercises should be a good idea.

Racked one arm KB walks, waiter walks, or my personal have - bottom up KB carry.

Be sure that a weak QL is the actual problem and it's not just getting injured because of something else tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Hanley wrote: »

Be sure that a weak QL is the actual problem and it's not just getting injured because of something else tho.

This. QL tweaks and strains usually happen as a result of something funky going on elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

mushykeogh wrote: »

This. QL tweaks and strains usually happen as a result of something funky going on elsewhere.
    Think I visit to the Physio may be in order I've been told that I could have Tight QL due to weak hip flexors? Gona try some of the above can't do me any harm

Think I visit to the Physio may be in order I've been told that I could have Tight QL due to weak hip flexors? Gona try some of the above can't do me any harm

That would be the best bet, probably a bit of pelvis rotation and or hip hike shenanigans going on somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That would be the best bet, probably a bit of pelvis rotation and or hip hike shenanigans going on somewhere.

QL issued can be caused by weak/inactive spinal erectors too right?

...which is probably as usual, potentially a hip/glute issue?

• Advertisement

Mmmmm yes but, prob not the underlying cause, usually all stems from a hip /glute issue as you said. The erectors can be wasted on one side because of a lateral pelvic tilt.

If the OP does have weak hip flexors the QL could be getting overworked. My first thought was that the acl injury could have changed the gait pattern, favouring one side, lateral pelvic tilt and then Ql pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Mmmmm yes but, prob not the underlying cause, usually all stems from a hip /glute issue as you said. The erectors can be wasted on one side because of a lateral pelvic tilt.

If the OP does have weak hip flexors the QL could be getting overworked. My first thought was that the acl injury could have changed the gait pattern, favouring one side, lateral pelvic tilt and then Ql pain!
    That's interesting about the ACL as its my right knee and my complaint is mainly left QL deffo time for a gait review etc!

Advertisement