Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o Connell street rundown

Options
  • 05-09-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I notice there are several derelict buildings on O Connell street up towards the rotunda. are there plans to do anything with them? they really are an eyesore on what is supposed to be the capitals main thoroughfare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I think they were going to be redeveloped into some new glossy modern-Irish-architecture shopping something-or-other but then recession etc etc. The developer was buying up all the properties along that strip as far as I know.

Not sure what the plan is now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

There is already a thread covering this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056549141

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Hopefully the site/s are developed to a high standard in years to come, but there's not much hope of much happening soon.

It would be good if a plan could be developed so that the Save Moore Street people are kept happy, O'Connell Street keeps more of its building line, and the site is still heavily developed with a retail and residential mix. It'd be even better if there was a walking route from the centre if the site out to all four sides -- I think the old plan only included to Henry Street and O'Connell Street.

The Save Moore Street group seem as if they are gaining support so it's becoming likely that some concessions will have to be made, but dealing with a problem like it will likely be off putting to developers in the future.

There is already a thread covering this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056549141

Not really, that thread is about the general state of the street and this one is just about the building at the top of the street what had due to be developed before the property market went belly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

my query was more about o connell street and why buildings have been knocked and not replaced. I was not aware it was connected to moore street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

monument wrote: »
    Hopefully the site/s are developed to a high standard in years to come, but there's not much hope of much happening soon.

It would be good if a plan could be developed so that the Save Moore Street people are kept happy, O'Connell Street keeps more of its building line, and the site is still heavily developed with a retail and residential mix. It'd be even better if there was a walking route from the centre if the site out to all four sides -- I think the old plan only included to Henry Street and O'Connell Street.

The Save Moore Street group seem as if they are gaining support so it's becoming likely that some concessions will have to be made, but dealing with a problem like it will likely be off putting to developers in the future.

Not really, that thread is about the general state of the street and this one is just about the building at the top of the street what had due to be developed before the property market went belly up.

Sorry what is it you mean by save moore st people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Fuinseog wrote: »
    my query was more about o connell street and why buildings have been knocked and not replaced. I was not aware it was connected to moore street.

the hotel was knocked down as was going to be the entrance from oconnell street to the new development -never happened in the end and its been kept on hold -also lots of legal wrangles with moore st etc so it could be some time before anything happens

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

It's fair to say the massive shopping centre will not go ahead now, and the developer should do the decent thing, and sell the O'Connell St fronting sites back to the City Council and let them develop it. The new Abbey SHOULD be built here, there's plenty of space and it would all tie in with a potential regeneration of the '1916' area. There are narrow lanes, and a heap of old warehouses etc that could be re-imagined as a temple bar-esque quarter. With sensitively placed cobbles and tax breaks for artists etc, it could be a lovely little area. A giant version of the Jervis shopping centre is not what we want here.

Advertisement