Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Inchicore

Options
  • 06-09-2012 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am thinking about moving to Inchicore. I think the place is very well connected but I also know that there are some areas that don't look great. I was searching on the Internet and I found different opinions. I don't know what to do. I can not spend a lot of money and this is one of the reasons why I decided about it. Apart of this, I'm living currently in Islandbridge and it is very close. Could you let me know if it is safe? Would you avoid some areas? I have a small baby and I'm a bit worried about safety and also about schools. If you are living there or you have lived there, did you experience any problems?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I used to work their for over a year and a half, finished up there last year though, have a few mates that live around there so I'll probably be able to help. I used to work up until 10pm there btw.

Is their anywhere in particular you're looking at? The only problems we used to have were an unsavoury family of settled travellers who used to cause havoc around the shops on Tyrconnell Rd, aside from that I only ever seen one incident. Used to walk from Tryconnell Rd to Donore Ave on a Sunday night and there's wasn't a soul about.

It has everything, few decent pubs, off license, big Spar, Tesco Express, few take aways, bank, etc... Good few buses, Luas is a stroll away and if you're a football fan you have St.Patricks Athletic on your doorstep for some Friday night action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gojita

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, well I'm looking at the whole area, but I saw something interesting close to the Goldenbridge Luas stop. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I'd have no problem recommending that are Gojita. very quiet. can get a few young lads having cans on the bridge itself but besides that its ok. I walk my dog there most evenings and have never had a bit of bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Gojita wrote: »
    Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, well I'm looking at the whole area, but I saw something interesting close to the Goldenbridge Luas stop. What do you think?

not a bad area at all....why do you want to leave islandbridge though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gojita

The reason why I want to move is because currently I'm renting an apartment and I would like to buy a house. I think it is a good moment for doing it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I have lived in the Bulfin Estate for the last 11 years and would not have a bad thing to say.

The village itself can be a bit boisterous at night, but around the housing estates are usually very quiet.

Where I live is a very settled area; most of the houses are owned by elderly people who have been there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lumendecens

Hi,

Looking for advice from people who live in the Ring Street area of Inchicore or the Ranch area in Ballyfermot/Inchicore.

I am looking at buying a house on the streets around the park at the end of Ring Street (is there a name to that area?) or another house in The Ranch. I wandered both areas at different times of the day/evening, but local knowledge beats all!

Any help regarding safety/community/etc would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Both areas are fine

That end of Inchicore is settled.

You have the Luas pretty much beside you and there is a bus service.
    If you own a car maybe check what the story is with parking. These are old estates and it can be difficult. I doubt you need a DCC pass but I'm not sure

You have the Black Horse which is an ok pub,
    The Village Inn which is rough and has lousy service so avoid there
    And you have the Black Lion which has fantastic staff, great barfood and is actually cheaper then the other two. I love that place!

Big Spar in Inchicore, lots of takeaways, a Tesco Express and if you drive, well Ring Street is close to Tesco Ballyfermot or Liffey Valley, you have a few options.

I'm not entirely sure if the Ranch is Ballyfermot or Inchicore. The house deeds probably say Inchicore but it's pretty much Ballyfermot.
    And it's the good end of Ballyfermot, not the Cherry Orchard end.

GAA club and football club beside you.
    Pitch n'putt too.
    There is a council run leisure centre in Ballyfermot and parks and a basketball court and a boxing club. Oh and a rugby club too.

Tesco Ballyfermot has terrible management, the place is dirty but the staff are nice and it's a very large shop. Lidl is down the way.

There does by kids around, you might get hassle walking around the estates late at night but you wouldn't on the main road.

Good mix of people in Upper (or is that lower, I never remember :confused:) Ballyfermot, lots of elderly too who look for each other and call everyone love.
    Live there a while and you'll call everyone love too :pac:

You have a good bus service by the Ranch, the infamous 78A now the 40 is regular and the 79 skips a lot of the built up areas and will get you to town faster.

I've never been in the pub by The Ranch. There are a few shops, a hairdresser and the petrol station on Sarsfield Rd is open 7-11 and will do if you're stuck for milk or something.

A few years back there would be boy racers going up and down the road at night and doing spins in estates but that's died a death, young lads don't have the money anymore.
    One good thing from the recession?

Lastly schools for the OP, there is a school right up the way on Tyrconnell Rd for girls and another for boys up near that one way street that goes under the bridge, I don't know the name.

More schools again in Ballyer and Chapelizod

You are surrounded by schools and all of them have good reputations

mikemac1: thanks for that. Brilliant info there. Tough to make a decision as both have different things going for them. Access to the Luas might be a big one though.

Lots of food for thought. Thank you.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sure it's only a steady 20 minute walk from the Ranch down to the Luas stop, maybe less, I'm unfit :o

I see a lot of people bringing cheap old bikes and locking them to the railings at the Luas stop

Don't use a good bike, just something old and useable that will save you some time but you won't be devastated if it's stolen on you

You're looking at the best parts of Inchicore and Ballyer anyway, that's the main thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Hi,

Looking for advice from people who live in the Ring Street area of Inchicore or the Ranch area in Ballyfermot/Inchicore.

I am looking at buying a house on the streets around the park at the end of Ring Street (is there a name to that area?) or another house in The Ranch. I wandered both areas at different times of the day/evening, but local knowledge beats all!

Any help regarding safety/community/etc would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I lived on Ring Street for 18 years, moved to another part of Inchicore earlier this year. Generally its fine, its quiet enough up there and I never felt unsafe. We did have car windows smashed twice (why our car I'll never know) and a few times the mirror was knocked off, but we were further down the road where there would have been more passing traffic.

There were two serious incidents while I lived there both shooting. The first I don't know much about beyond it was someone local near the park, the second was a non local well known to gardai renting a flat.

Beyond that while I generally kept to myself, all the neighbours were very friendly, a lot of elderly that would talk the ear off you, but all good folk, my next door neighbour would be in his 80s and lived in that house his entire life!

There are two types of redbrick houses, both are pretty small, but they both definitely have lots of character. The thing to watch is that these are old houses, the earliest dating from 1904, so little seemingly simple jobs can sometimes mushroom.

There is a little pub near the park called slatts which I liked, and the black lion, otherwise wouldn't be a fan of the other establishments until you get near kilmainham. Transport wise 5 minutes to the Luas and the bus service was ok, and handy from town too. Handy enough with londis, scoops and the garage at the end of the road too.

... feel free to drop me a pm if you've any specific questions...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I'd avoid the Ranch end and deffo stick to the Goldenbridge Luas stn end of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Hi guys!

Wondering if you could help me. Looking at places around the Emmet Court/Emmet Road area and was hoping if you could let me know if it's safe/close to the Luas and/or other forms of transport?

@mikemac1: Thanks again for that. I had a 'Trusty Rusty' in years past for exactly that reason!

@dazberry: Brilliant info. Thanks for that. Shootings a definite turnoff (!), but CC life is going to have some element of shooting/drug dealing/unsvaory activites. Lived around drug dealing transvestite prostitutes in my last place, so not overly concerned about all that. Shootings as a daily occurence would defo be a challenge. And so right about older houses...'oh, I think I'll put a new tap in' can lead to replacing the connection to the water mains in the street...been there!

@tampopo: Thanks...The more I think and hear about it, the more I think The Ranch is out. If for no other reason than I'd be foolish to select a place away from the Luas...good for me and good for rental/resale down the road.

Now to find something in the Ring St area that will suit and is within budget.

Thanks all.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Hi Teacher23,

Emmet Road is fine. I've been living in the area for a few years and haven't had any hassle. The only area that isn't nice is around St Michaels estate but that is in the process of being re-developed. As for transport you have the 13, 40 and 68 which go through Emmet Road and the Luas is no more than a five minute walk. And of course you are only a 15 minute bike ride from the city centre. Phoenix park and the War Memorial Garden are also very close by.

It will be interesting to see if the Childrens Hospital ge s the go ahead in St James will that have a knock on effect for the Inchicore/Kilmainham area in gerneral

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Hi stevensi,

Thanks very much for your response - relieved to hear that! Looking for a place to live is stressful when you're based in a different county and under time constraints. Appreciate your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Teacher23,

I agree with stevensi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭druidstone

I am looking to buy a house in Inchicore, where is "the Ranch end?" it was noted as a place to avoid. Areas I am looking at are New Road, Nash Road, and the main road Tyrconnell Road near the church across the road from the school. Just up from the Black Lion pub. Does anyone have any suggestions about these areas good or bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The thread you started is enough Druidstone, dont drag up old ones please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement