Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got thinking today

• 06-09-2012 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

You ever think what'ss the point of it all? We live in a society that is so image obsessed and materialistic. I'm not sure what its like as you get older but if your young you have to be a slave to this or risk ridicule, even isolation. If you don't invest in yourself and have the cool clothes, the nice car or whatever your worthless. You can't function with the majority of society who is so brainwashed by the media that they have to conform to a certain image. I guess it dawned on me really today, how do you find the right balance. I was shopping in topman and this all came to me, do I need this ****ing sweatshirt? What will it bring to my life? Is it just a quick fire way to make me feel better until I get down and need to buy some other worthless crap I don't need.
    Seriously, I can't really convey what I'm tryna say but you know its something to think about.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Go travel. You may learn a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You should start drinking, your outlook on life will really pick up then.

When you actually think about stuff, you realize just how strange what we take as normal actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'd be depressed and down if I shopped in Topman too tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I can imagine the Topman shop assistant coming over to him after he's been staring blankly at the wall for five minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

either very young, or drunk. have a severe dose of HTFU from me.

you're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

EdenHazard wrote: »
    You ever think what'ss the point of it all? We live in a society that is so image obsessed and materialistic. I'm not sure what its like as you get older but if your young you have to be a slave to this or risk ridicule, even isolation. If you don't invest in yourself and have the cool clothes, the nice car or whatever your worthless. You can't function with the majority of society who is so brainwashed by the media that they have to conform to a certain image. I guess it dawned on me really today, how do you find the right balance. I was shopping in topman and this all came to me, do I need this ****ing sweatshirt? What will it bring to my life? Is it just a quick fire way to make me feel better until I get down and need to buy some other worthless crap I don't need.
    Seriously, I can't really convey what I'm tryna say but you know its something to think about.
    in AH? Really?

anyway, thing is this. self worth doesnt come from material goods, though material goods can be enjoyed, if they bring joy.

get a job you can tolerate, dont over work, find a nice gaff, take up a nice hobby and hope you meet a good partner.

and that's about it. the rest is just cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Surely family, friends, job, beer and sex at least come before having a fancy jumper, its just good to be able to breath man, harmony and that kind of thing, oh, and peace, that's great man.

Btw, a Chelski player should'nt be concerned with the price of stuff surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Edenhazard, the point of your eighty years or so on this planet is to get yourself into Heaven for infinity. Believe in God, be sound to people, and follow the commandments. Forget topman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Have you ever noticed the snot build up after working in a dusty environment.
    I was having a good oul nasal clear out, a good oul root, the snot was hard and crispy on the outside, soft sticky on the inside. Both nostrils were affected.
    After having a good go at the right nostril, I started on left nostril, however my finger flick was ineffective between attacks and I deposited right nostril snot into left nostril.

What's that about buying sweatshirts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Sounds like we'd get along just fine. You are of course completely correct, there is no point to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I'm defo gonna end up as a hippy living off the land by 30, bank on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

newmug wrote: »
    Edenhazard, the point of your eighty years or so on this planet is to get yourself into Heaven for infinity. Believe in God, be sound to people, and follow the commandments. Forget topman.

Wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Its like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how i keep from going under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I dress like a mentally ill 40 year old and I'm not ridiculed or isolated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Hah...

"Once there ruled in a distant city of Wirani a king who was both mighty and wise. And he was feared for his might and loved for his wisdom.

Now, in the heart of that city was a well, whose water was cool and crystalline, from which all the inhabitants drank, even the king and his courtiers; for there was no other well.

One night when all were asleep, a witch entered the city, and poured seven drops of a strange liquid into the well, and said, "From this hour he who drinks this water shall become mad".

Next morning all the inhabitants, save the kind and his lord chamberlain, drank from the well and became mad, even as the witch had foretold.

And during that day the people in the narrow streets and in the market places did naught but whisper to one another, "The kind is mad. Our king and his lord chamberlain have lost their reason. Surely we cannot be ruled by a mad king. We must dethrone him."

That evening the king ordered a golden globlet to be filled from the well. And when it was brought to him he drank deeply, and gave it to his lord chamberlain to drink.

And there was great rejoicing in that distant city of Wirani, because its king and its lord chamberlain had regained their reason."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Justin Bieber Existential Question Time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact.

'Tyler Durden'

Fight Club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hah...

"Once there ruled in a distant city of Wirani a king who was both mighty and wise. And he was feared for his might and loved for his wisdom.

Now, in the heart of that city was a well, whose water was cool and crystalline, from which all the inhabitants drank, even the king and his courtiers; for there was no other well.

One night when all were asleep, a witch entered the city, and poured seven drops of a strange liquid into the well, and said, "From this hour he who drinks this water shall become mad".

Next morning all the inhabitants, save the kind and his lord chamberlain, drank from the well and became mad, even as the witch had foretold.

And during that day the people in the narrow streets and in the market places did naught but whisper to one another, "The kind is mad. Our king and his lord chamberlain have lost their reason. Surely we cannot be ruled by a mad king. We must dethrone him."

That evening the king ordered a golden globlet to be filled from the well. And when it was brought to him he drank deeply, and gave it to his lord chamberlain to drink.

And there was great rejoicing in that distant city of Wirani, because its king and its lord chamberlain had regained their reason."

Couldn`t agree more...you read my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I preferred AH when it wasn't a blog on self pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Stop saying 'we'.

Not everybody lives in the society you do, obsessed with Hollywood and Justin Beaver etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Who says sweatshirt?
    Gay

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

Not really the right place. Yeah life is pointless and people are terrible. That's not why you feel bad though. Actually, I'm not sure why you feel bad. Maybe you just hate clothes? Try not wearing any for a day and see if you feel better. No driving either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I preferred AH when it wasn't a blog on self pity.
    ah yes, I remember that week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This guy had an epiphany in Topshop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Get happy pills off the doctor,they don't solve anything but they make life seem sort of half tolerable in a numbing type of way.Plus you get really fúcked up when you mix them with alcohol too,which to me is reason enough to get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Got thinking today

Jesus, don't ever do that, ever. What's with all this thinking going on lately. I think it's terrible. Oh no, it's got me too. It contagious.
    brummytom wrote: »
    I dress like a mentally ill 40 year old and I'm not ridiculed or isolated.

Are you not ridiculed because you're a mentally ill 40 year old and people just think you're off limits.
    We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact.

And we're very, very pissed off. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Well judging from this & other posts from you I've seen, that's only the way you think life is.. It's not like that for me at all.. The only problem here is that you care a bit too much about what other people think with regards to your appearance and what you wear, don't know how you can stop doing that but I assure you none of what you wrote up there would even matter to you at all if you stopped focusing on what everyone else thinks. Maybe the point of this epiphany was to stop you doing that :pac:

I was shopping in topman and this all came to me, do I need this ****ing sweatshirt?

Is this sweatshirt essential to your survival, in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word? No. So what are you then? You are a consumer.
    You're the bi-product of a lifestyle obsession.

Exactly, what the hell reason do I actually need it for, the answer is none!

On the other hand, you could just stop over thinking and get the bleedin' jumper.

There are more important things in life, I'm after spilling Mighty Munch crumbs all over my bed.

Exactly, what the hell reason do I actually need it for, the answer is none!
    You might get cold.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Aren't you the same guy who had a thread about getting accepted into Beautiful People a while back? And you start threads about fashion/hair/accessories every week or so. Probably all in your own head, dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i havnt had a packet of monster munch in ages, are they mighty munch now?
    do they taste like the old monster munch or are they like a pale imitation of thier past glory??

got a 12 pack of burger bites the other day, i was really looking forward to them...
    they taste.. well they taste all-right, but the consistency is all wrong, i ended up giving most of them away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact.

'Tyler Durden'

Fight Club.

Dont you worry my friend, I will stop this no war you want so desperately, Im just biding my time, Mwhahahahahahaha

Aren't you the same guy who had a thread about getting accepted into Beautiful People a while back? And you start threads about fashion/hair/accessories every week or so. Probably all in your own head, dude.

Yeah and I'm realizing it's all a waste of time. Its like you have to strive towards this image of perfection or people won't give you the time of day, as if they do now anyway..:rolleyes: I think I've had enough of all this ****, my consumerism and vanity finally ended today. You as an individual shouldn't be defined by what you wear but what you represent and what you do. In realition to Bieber, I love his music but I think I'm done with tryna be his less aesthetic, no talent double.

Yeah and I'm realizing it's all a waste of time. Its like you have to strive towards this image of perfection or people won't give you the time of day, as if they do now anyway..:rolleyes: I think I've had enough of all this ****, my consumerism and vanity finally ended today.

Hey good for you, welcome to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

We have a beautiful people thread?? WTF why wasnt I asked to be the king of this thread

• Advertisement

Its like you have to strive towards this image of perfection

Change the pronoun there buddy and your issue will become clear.

i havnt had a packet of monster munch in ages, are they mighty munch now?
    do they taste like the old monster munch or are they like a pale imitation of thier past glory??

got a 12 pack of burger bites the other day, i was really looking forward to them...
    they taste.. well they taste all-right, but the consistency is all wrong, i ended up giving most of them away...

Mighty Munch are the Tayto version. Some snobs will have a problem with that but they taste just fine to me.

And I also had a cola Bruiser bar yesterday. Saw it as I went to the till in Spar and was slightly embarrassed buying it but it was well worth it. Mmmmm. :p (That's really a lick of the lips rather than a sticking out of the tongue).

Change the pronoun there buddy and your issue will become clear.

Ellaborate.

Ellaborate.

In the message I quoted change the "you" to "I". I don't feel the need for everyone's approval or "the time of day". You apparently do.

Yup, its something I need to change radically, true happiness comes when your content within your self.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yup, its something I need to change radically, true happiness comes when your content within your self.

I love myself (because I'm just that damn awesome) and I'm still miserable a lot of the time. Don't expect instant result.

/pessimism

Yeah and I'm realizing it's all a waste of time. Its like you have to strive towards this image of perfection or people won't give you the time of day, as if they do now anyway..:rolleyes: I think I've had enough of all this ****, my consumerism and vanity finally ended today. You as an individual shouldn't be defined by what you wear but what you represent and what you do.

Exactly. You can't be an individual if you're constantly trying to follow a crowd. Wear what you like, listen to the music you like, do whatever you like. You'll never be isolated or rejected. If anything, you'll realise which of your friends are really like you, the ones you actually have things in common with, not just ones trying to be the same image of what they perceive to be cool.

Might be my gayest post ever

In your OP you talk about the majority of people this and that and you're just wrong. There's plenty of idiots and impressionable people around but most don't give a **** about most things. There was a programme on the other night made by Christopher Hitchens in '99 about the coverage of Princess Diana's death etc. and he spoke to someone who wrote to a newspaper saying he was sick of the wall-to-wall coverage and he got a few dozen responses, all agreeing with him. One of the BBC comedy shows had clips of people around the time of the royal wedding who didn't give a ****. Those aren't exactly what you're talking about but even in those kinds of things that people get swept up in aren't as unanimous as is let on. The media tells us that everyone cares about what's in the media, it's not true.
    As for appearance etc., be tidy and appropriate for a situation. Don't wear a novelty T-shirt to a job interview or a Hawaiian shirt to a funeral and you're fine. People don't give a **** and it works both ways, plenty won't give you the time of day because they don't give a ****, same as there'll be plenty of people you won't give the time of day. When I'm out I'll talk to anyone and everyone, some people don't like it, some assume ulterior motives, few care that the jeans I'm wearing cost a tenner.

I love myself (because I'm just that damn awesome) and I'm still miserable a lot of the time. Don't expect instant result.

/pessimism

That familiar paradox of arrogance but no confidence. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement