Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Netflix problem

• 06-09-2012 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭

I have been watching Netflix on a Dell Dimension desktop for many months with no hassle through Firefox. However, I decided to try and install Internet Explorer instead using something called Silverlight (?) and I think it might have mucked up Netflix. Midway through the Internet Explorer installation, my Norton warned me that it had successfully intercepted a trojan. So I didn't proceed with the installation, and stuck with Firefox.

Now when I log onto Netflix, and select a film, at exactly 20% into the buffering, it tries to Download a Video to my Downloads\Documents\Video folder of the movie of a file in mp4 format ! The file it's trying to download is only around 33KB. At this point, my Netflix screen goes hayware with multiple attempts to Download File Info, and I have to kill the Netflix site to stop it.
    I ran Norton Antivirus and it found nothing wrong.
    I uninstalled Firefox and went to Google Chrome, but same problem here.

Any ideas please ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Netflix probably encrypts streams preventing the ability to download. Uninstall any "youtube video downloaders" etc. Also if you have Real Player installed, try to uninstall it as it has caused issues similar to this in the past

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Norton sounds like it is doing something incredibly stupid if it's blocking Silverlight as a trojan. Silverlight is just a microsoft plugin, it would be analogous to say, Adobe Flash. It's entirely harmless but it's needed to run things like Netflix in IE. I think Firefox actually downloads a version of the plugin as well.

I've run Norton before though, and never had that problem. Did not have Realplayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I am starting to think that this problem is connected with Internet Download Manager. I tried Netflix on a different laptop, and a box popped up asking me if I wanted to "Download The Video". I think I might have inadvertantly done this on the other computer and it is in the settings for IDM there ? Does this sound likely ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I am starting to think that this problem is connected with Internet Download Manager. I tried Netflix on a different laptop, and a box popped up asking me if I wanted to "Download The Video". I think I might have inadvertantly done this on the other computer and it is in the settings for IDM there ? Does this sound likely ?

Disable the IDM plugin in the browser and try again. Look in "Addons" for it

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

yoyo wrote: »
    Disable the IDM plugin in the browser and try again. Look in "Addons" for it

Nick

Thanks very much Nick. I will try that

• Advertisement
Advertisement