Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hound scratching ears and they twitch as she sleeps

• 06-09-2012 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I've got a Hound Dog (long ears, black tipped) and recently she has started scratching them violently with her paws. Just recently I've noticed that they twitch as she sleeps. Has she got lice type bugs? And, if so, what is the solution?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Could be ear mites, youd have to go to the vet to confirm and get treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Sounds like ear mites alright, quick trip to the vets will sort it out, you will get a cream to put in the ears for about 10 days. Little tip, massage the ears when you put it in to stop them vigourously shaking to try and get the cream out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Thanks folks! Went to the Pet Store and got some Ear-Rite and was assured by the manager that this would do the biz. Will let ye know in a week, how it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Have you treated her with a spot on treatment too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jadestar

Not joking, but it might be her big ears, if they are causing slight friction with her head, she might scratch them...............although probably not violently , yep vet might be best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, i wouldnt be putting anything in hers ears that wasnt prescribed by a vet. Those ones in the pet shop arent always that good and can do more harm than good if they arent the right medication. SO if i was you i would make sure a vet prescribes something for your dog before you put anything in the ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

Have you treated her with a spot on treatment too?

+1 - Go to your vets and ask for a spot on treatment that kills mites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Hey folks! Thanks for all the helpful replies. Continued with the drops and everything is hunky dory. She is lying at my feet at the moment and the only twitching is her nose when someone opens the fridge door :)

Advertisement