Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Weeks 26/27), Sept 7-10, 2012

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In the Premier Division, a Dublin derby weekend with 2 derbies on each night. The Rovers Shels game in Tallaght in the first round of fixtures had a great sense of occasion and each game between the two sides so far this season has had a minimum of four goals.

Another great game from 1997:

6-4..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We've Kevin Dawson, Gar Matthews and Shortall all suspended, too put it bluntly we're F*CKING SCREWED! Going to be a painful match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Any of these being televised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

dfx- wrote: »
    Another great game from 1997:

Not if you're a Shels fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No reason why we cannot come away with 6 points from these 2 games. That said, I will be quite happy with 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

A vital weekend for Sligo Rovers, with our competitors playing twice, if we happen to lose to Dundalk and they have good double weeks its all to play for again. however if the most they pick up is 4 points and we win its a result for us big time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Heard Dundalk have given a couple of thousand tickets to the local schools to get a crowd in tomorrow. Vital that we don't lose given that we have a week off next Friday. Quietly confident now that we're in good form.
    I presume Dundalk have improved since we played them in the Bowl a few months back. Christ they were awful that day and we still couldn't beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Two tough games for Bohs and a severe drop in form at the wrong time means I can't see us picking up more than 2 points from these two games.

Rovers will be out for revenge after the 4-0 thrashing back in June too. Not very confident.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

While we're in terrible form, we haven't lost at home since May 18th, something to hold onto :o

Be happy with 2 points from the 2 games tbh.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Heard Dundalk have given a couple of thousand tickets to the local schools to get a crowd in tomorrow. Vital that we don't lose given that we have a week off next Friday. Quietly confident now that we're in good form.
    I presume Dundalk have improved since we played them in the Bowl a few months back. Christ they were awful that day and we still couldn't beat them.
    Must win game for Dundalk. Bar the Pats game where they completely dominated us we've played ok in the main since Darius has took over. Just can't put in a 90 minute performance though.

Missing Shanahan tomorrow who is our top scorer. We've signed Barry Conlon so I'm guessing it will be him and Griffin up front. We beat UCD back in March (that remains our only home league win this season) but they played well that night and were unlucky to lose. Reckon this will end up a draw which will suit UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pighead wrote: »
    Must win game for Dundalk. Bar the Pats game where they completely dominated us we've played ok in the main since Darius has took over. Just can't put in a 90 minute performance though.

Missing Shanahan tomorrow who is our top scorer. We've signed Barry Conlon so I'm guessing it will be him and Griffin up front. We beat UCD back in March (that remains our only home league win this season) but they played well that night and were unlucky to lose. Reckon this will end up a draw which will suit UCD.

Barry Conlon, the guy who was playing lower league in England for years? That's a decent signing, he's a powerhouse. Will add fair bit of physicality if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

gimmick wrote: »
    No reason why we cannot come away with 6 points from these 2 games. That said, I will be quite happy with 4.

would be delighted with 4 points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

1996–1997 Queens Park Rangers 0 (0)
    1997–1998 Manchester City 7 (0)
    1998 → Plymouth Argyle (loan) 13 (2)
    1998–1999 Southend United 34 (7)
    1999–2001 York City 48 (11)
    2001 → Colchester United (loan) 26 (8)
    2001–2004 Darlington 115 (39)
    2004–2006 Barnsley 35 (7)
    2006 → Rotherham United (loan) 3 (1)
    2006–2007 Darlington 19 (6)
    2007 Mansfield Town 17 (6)
    2007–2009 Bradford City 72 (17)
    2009 → Grimsby Town (loan) 8 (5)
    2009–2010 Grimsby Town 16 (5)
    2010 → Chesterfield (loan) 4 (1)
    2010 Chesterfield 15 (6)
    2010 Stockport County 9 (0)
    2011 R.O.C. de Charleroi-Marchienne 7 (1)
    2012- Dundalk 0 (0)

Now that's a journeyman.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

That_Guy wrote: »
    Rovers will be out for revenge after the 4-0 thrashing back in June too. Not very confident.

Dont worry about form, it never counts in this game.

Just wondering, when was the last time we were beaten by R*v*rs in Dalymount in the league?

0-1 last year with Twigg's header down the Shopping Centre end. So not long ago, sorry :p

Rovers haven't won at home in five or six games and Brennan might unfortunately be back as Dennehy is suspended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

0-1 last year with Twigg's header down the Shopping Centre end. So not long ago, sorry :p

Yes..and 2007 before that I think?

Looking forward to Monday. Hopefully finish off your title challenge. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Either a win tomorrow night or Matthews leaving as a result of the result. Nothing in between will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

CSF wrote: »
    Either a win tomorrow night or Matthews leaving as a result of the result. Nothing in between will do.

Honestly, I don't understand the vitriol directed at Matthews. He got Shels up, they're nice and comfortable in the division - I know there's been a loss of form, but were fans expecting them to be pushing hard for Europe or even the league this year? Not having a go or looking to wind anyone up, just genuinely curious if I'm missing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

CSF wrote: »

I take the first alternative, have a fiver on Shels to win. Don't know why, but it's only a fiver anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

Hopefully after the Derry and Bray games City will be safe in the premier division for next season.
    Our last two games against Rovers have more or less summed up how our season has gone.

• Advertisement

geeky wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't understand the vitriol directed at Matthews. He got Shels up, they're nice and comfortable in the division - I know there's been a loss of form, but were fans expecting them to be pushing hard for Europe or even the league this year? Not having a go or looking to wind anyone up, just genuinely curious if I'm missing something.

Exactly you don't understand!

He got us up, but any manager could have as the board "pushed the boat" out finance wise to get us promoted as without promotion we'd be going donw a slippy road.

We're not comfortable whatsoever, if Dundalk win tomorrow and we lose they're only 7 points behind us and we've still to go to Oriel.

We weren't expecting Europe, we were expecting midtable comfortable position, the real problem is Mathews tactics and attitude! Also the fact it's been brewing up the last few weeks but Friday was the last straw for most, a half arse, gutless performance for 85 minutes from Shels it was probably one of the worse performance I've seen in my 9 years going to Shels matches home and away tbh. Throw in Mathews comments and well it's made a lot of people unhappy!

So yes, you don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Rovers haven't won at home in five or six games and Brennan might unfortunately be back as Dennehy is suspended.

Not since Drogs in May, in the league.
    bohsboy wrote: »
    Yes..and 2007 before that I think?

Luckily the game is in Tallaght, where you's have something like 1 point gained or something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hernany Macedo may make his debut for Pats morrow!!!

geeky wrote: »
    The football isn't even watchable, the man is horrible, and our attendances are dwindling by the week. None of our good players are going to stay under him, so many unhappy campers in the squad.

In the short-term the statistics might only seem slightly below expectation, but long-term he is doing serious damage to the club that may have repercussions for a few years to come. Hopefully we get rid of him at the end of the season (or before) and things can be salvaged though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Exactly you don't understand!

He got us up, but any manager could have as the board "pushed the boat" out finance wise to get us promoted as without promotion we'd be going donw a slippy road.

We're not comfortable whatsoever, if Dundalk win tomorrow and we lose they're only 7 points behind us and we've still to go to Oriel.

We weren't expecting Europe, we were expecting midtable comfortable position, the real problem is Mathews tactics and attitude! Also the fact it's been brewing up the last few weeks but Friday was the last straw for most, a half arse, gutless performance for 85 minutes from Shels it was probably one of the worse performance I've seen in my 9 years going to Shels matches home and away tbh. Throw in Mathews comments and well it's made a lot of people unhappy!

So yes, you don't understand.

You're nine years going to Shels?? The first two or three of them were spent winning stuff you's weren't entitled to. Maybe that's what's giving you this bizarre expectation.

You's were relegated for cheating and now finally, you's have finally got back into the top division where Matthews has cemented your first season back at the top without fighting relegation.

What's the problem?? You can push on next season and go for Europe! Not bad for a club who spent the last few seasons in the nether regions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Shels are three points behind last years runners up. With the exception of Bohs, everyone else in the league are much better teams than shels.

Not sure what you lot actually want him to achieve.

monkey9 wrote: »
    You're nine years going to Shels?? The first two or three of them were spent winning stuff you's weren't entitled to. Maybe that's what's giving you this bizarre expectation.

You's were relegated for cheating and now finally, you's have finally got back into the top division where Matthews has cemented your first season back at the top without fighting relegation.

What's the problem?? You can push on next season and go for Europe! Not bad for a club who spent the last few seasons in the nether regions.

Well the first couple of years I was just entering teenage years, then endured a few seasons in the 1st Division not expecting anything.

*Demoted first off, learn the difference! Nothing is cemented, we'll lose tomorrow and I'd guess Dundalk will win, 7 points off then! Far from cemented!

The problem is Mathews tbh, nobody expects Europe, title run, or anything more than mid table safety! It's not the results, it the gutless, heartless ****e Mathews has us playing and his f*cking attitude and his poxy ego, he's ruining players and their morale! The Derry match on Friday was probably in the top 5 worse performances I've ever seen play by Shels, bare in mind our 2007 is included in that were Keely had no money and had 2 days to make a team!

Ebbs wrote: »
    Shels are three points behind last years runners up. With the exception of Bohs, everyone else in the league are much better teams than shels.

Last year you say, this season it's 7th place! On paper we're better than more that just Bohs, we have a better side than Cork, Derry, Bray, UCD, Dundalk and Drogheda to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

With the exception of beating a Dundalk side that thought they were going bust, not a single point has been won at Tolka since the second week of April - it could be argued on the basis of falling attendances that this shocking form is turning away casual fans and costing the club money it can ill afford.

Plus there's the whole being a horrible prick thing.

Ebbs wrote: »

Football would be a nice start. All this stuff about us pushing on would be great if it could happen (because our current league position isn't exactly disastrous) but under Matthews it never will. The man hasn't a tactical bone in his body, the players have no desire to play for him and I can see most of our best players leaving at the end of the season if he stayed.

If the league became even slightly more competitive next year, I could only see us being in a relegation scrap under Matthews.

He might get away a bit more with being so **** and unable to win points at home ever, if he was in the slightest bit likeable, but he is not and has completely burned all his bridges with the fans with his comments last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Well the first couple of years I was just entering teenage years, then endured a few seasons in the 1st Division not expecting anything.

*Demoted first off, learn the difference! Nothing is cemented, we'll lose tomorrow and I'd guess Dundalk will win, 7 points off then! Far from cemented!

The problem is Mathews tbh, nobody expects Europe, title run, or anything more than mid table safety! It's not the results, it the gutless, heartless ****e Mathews has us playing and his f*cking attitude and his poxy ego, he's ruining players and their morale! The Derry match on Friday was probably in the top 5 worse performances I've ever seen play by Shels, bare in mind our 2007 is included in that were Keely had no money and had 2 days to make a team!

Last year you say, this season it's 7th place! On paper we're better than more that just Bohs, we have a better side than Cork, Derry, Bray, UCD, Dundalk and Drogheda to an extent.

You are away with the fairies mate if you think all the blame can be laid at matthews feet . Some of your players are just not bothering to put in the required effort or are not up to the job . Big step up in first to prem football . And do you honestly think you are better than Drogheda either on paper or otherwise :confused: Results would suggest otherwise . I am no fan of AM as he made no friends during his time here . He also made some bang out of order comments when he walked away from the job like a coward . Deserves everything coming to him i reckon ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Wish ye would roll the pitch a few times in Tolka, some shocking bounces from my two attendances at Shels v Sligo Rovers games this season. I always like going to tolka.

Surely picking players who are upto the task, and motivating them to play for him is exactly Matthews' job. He has failed overwhelmingly on both counts anyway.

We have great footballing midfielders in our squad. How can they be expected to remain motivated having spent almost a full season watching the ball fly over their heads? How can Philly Hughes be expected to remain motivated when he receives absolutely no service? Those players will all go elsewhere and succeed at our expense if Matthews stays next season.

Our time in the Premier Division won't resume in any sort of positive manner until Matthews is gone.

No footballing philosophy, no ability to motivate a player, no likeability, no redeeming qualities.

Also, we definitely have a better squad on paper than Drogheda. Having the likes of Glenn Cronin, David Cassidy, Kevin Dawson, Philly Hughes, Conan Byrne, Paddy Kavanagh and Stephen Paisley to choose from would give managers like Mick Cooke, Aaron Callaghan or Declan Devine wet dreams.

Unfortunately football isn't played on paper and a manager with good tactical know how, and an ability to get his players playing can make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

To be honest that is what I would hope to see us compete for Europe next season aswell given that a good few members of our squad never played premier division football before this season . We have looked good going forward but we have made too many basic errors at the back , which is a huge reason why we have lost 24pts from winning positions this season. We need to cut out those basic errors and also convert more of the chances we create if we want to improve for next season.

This season was all about consolidation for City and hopefully improve next term . We went through a similar season in our first season in the first division but went on to win the league the following year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That was when Ryan Thompson had an absolute freak out giving out to one of their defenders right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

sheao wrote: »
    which is a huge reason why we have lost 24pts from winning positions this season.

I count it at 16.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Anyone know offhand what parking is like near Oriel Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Not great. There is a hotel opposite not sure can you use it. Best bet is to park near the Harp(?) brewery, car spaces available there if i remember correctly.

You are away with the fairies mate if you think all the blame can be laid at matthews feet . Some of your players are just not bothering to put in the required effort or are not up to the job . Big step up in first to prem football . And do you honestly think you are better than Drogheda either on paper or otherwise :confused: Results would suggest otherwise . I am no fan of AM as he made no friends during his time here . He also made some bang out of order comments when he walked away from the job like a coward . Deserves everything coming to him i reckon ......

Mathews from what most can gather has lost the dressing room, and it's not surprising tbh, I've seen it coming since the start of the season with the way a few players were treated.

Drogheda have 6 Shels rejects, the difference is Cooke has them working together as a proper team and they're in for a HUGE payout if they happen to win the League.

Made some bang out of order comments last week off camera to a few well known Shels fans, which in turn got Mathews begging Joe Casey to make them apologise online! :rolleyes:
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Wish ye would roll the pitch a few times in Tolka, some shocking bounces from my two attendances at Shels v Sligo Rovers games this season. I always like going to tolka.

Lack of funds and we've no idea how long we're left in Tolka, that's why the place is in a jock.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Nice at this stage of the season to be sitting comfortably in the table, definetly would've taken that at the start of the season.

3 wins from the next 3 and that'll make this season even better

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    That was when Ryan Thompson had an absolute freak out giving out to one of their defenders right?

Attempting to headbutt Dan Murray yes. When Pat Flynn is telling you to calm down given Flynner's history of kicking Bohs players, you know you've lost it:pac:

Reading the posts, Shels are having a season like Rovers in 2008. That's the worst season I can remember following Rovers, but it was necessary consolidation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

What's the craic with getting tickets for the away section in Tallaght tonight? Forgot to get my tickets last Friday and was too busy during the week to get to Tolka Park to get some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Dub XV wrote: »
    What's the craic with getting tickets for the away section in Tallaght tonight? Forgot to get my tickets last Friday and was too busy during the week to get to Tolka Park to get some.

They'll be on sale outside the ground.

No chance to see the Shels match on telly, is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Lars1916 wrote: »

Audio commentary "SRFCTV about to go live on srfc.tv :) KO 8pm"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

No. The Shams might have audio commentary if that will do?

Thanks. Listening to the match now :)

Any idea, how many Shels supporters ar in Tallaght?

Bohemians 1:0 up, btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Bohemians 1:0 up, btw

:(

Edit 1-1 Now.:)

kksaints wrote: »
    :(

Make it 1:1 ;)

And UCD 1:0 up at Dundalk