Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plans to get android/iphone boards app...

• 06-09-2012 5:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking we start a protest. Forum picketing, strike days, work to rule days... we will post but withhold all use of the letter "e". Also I have an idea knocking about involving moderators, rubber ducks and tinfoil.... cant quite put my finger on it tho.

Its been too long without an app, we need to take action. Ideas appreciated. I'm gonna declare myself leader and then immediately stand down and pass the power to the 7th poster

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

If you go to boards.ie on your mobile it comes up as a mobile site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭jupiler_beer

Post # 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

areyawell wrote: »

And just add the site to your home screen and voila - free app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why do you need an app when boards touch already works fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

why do you need an app when boards touch already works fine?

Yeah but touch is pretty crap when compared to the full site experience, lots of things you can't do. Try reading what's behind spoiler tags, try posting images or YouTube links etc.

An app should give the full experience in a nearly packaged format that's easier to use on a smaller screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I find the boards touch useless TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Go to the Google Play store. Type in Boards.ie. App appears.

Choose the unofficial one; it's better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Tonto86 wrote: »
    ... we will post but withhold all use of the letter "e".

Dwn wth vwls

Go to the Google Play store. Type in Boards.ie. App appears.

Choose the unofficial one; it's better.

Just installed it, it's identical to the touch site. Have you even tried the touch site? Try this on your mobile device http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056747433?page=1#post_80632022

I don't see the point of an app that just opens a mobile site, a dedicated app needs to offer more otherwise it's no different to a bookmark

I prefer it to the touch site to be honest. It's smoother and faster in my own experience.

Also, no ads.

• Advertisement

I prefer it to the touch site to be honest. It's smoother and faster in my own experience.

Also, no ads.

Depends on what hardware you got. Get a lighter browser and adblock. I have no ads.

I'm just saying, I find the app runs a lot smother than the touch site. It's not an issue with the phone.

I obviously have ad block installed.

It still lacks far too many functions, I find myself toggling from touch to the full site (the Dolphin browser has an addon that does this) depending on how I'm posting. The full site is too clunky, it's designed for a KB and M, not stubby fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yeah but touch is pretty crap when compared to the full site experience, lots of things you can't do.
    really?
    Try reading what's behind spoiler tags,
    tap them, job done
    try posting images or YouTube links etc.
    same as normal, just type [ img ] / [ youtube ] etc, easy, quicker than the button for it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Also, no aids.

That's how I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i just use the full desktop version when on my phone.

Confab wrote:
    That's how I read it.

:D

Well, that too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

areyawell wrote: »

Why would people accept this?

If this was the case then there would be no apps such as RTE News, Irish tImes etc as you could just go their 'Mobile Site'.

An App can provide better functionality than a mobile site.

There was a thread on 'Apple Media Devices" from Boards staff that they were developong a "super" app and required testers for the beta but it seems to have died down.

same as normal, just type [ img ] / [ youtube ] etc, easy, quicker than the button for it anyway

That is just too much trouble for a mobile device, should have a simple wysiwyg editor

Advertisement