Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel prices

• 06-09-2012 6:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    How much do u pay for kennels? We have 2 boxers one 5 years and the other 5 months. We're been priced €30 for them both per day to share the one pen?

Seems a bit pricey. Based in north Dublin and will be 10 days so €300 is a bit much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    How much do u pay for kennels? We have 2 boxers one 5 years and the other 5 months. We're been priced €30 for them both per day to share the one pen?

Seems a bit pricey. Based in north Dublin and will be 10 days so €300 is a bit much

Tbh €30 seems the norm! The canine country club in sallins are doing a great deal at the moment €165 for 2 dogs for a week, so I am sure for 10 days it would be less than €300!
    http://www.caninecountryclub.ie/rates.php
    It is not too far away either and the workers are great, all complete dog lovers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

usually about 15 per dog per night so your quote is about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

sounds decent, i've paid more (37 for 2 dogs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I think I mailed you before about your boxer? PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Very expensive compared to the midlands, €10 per night per dog down here in two of my local kennels and €12 in a third local kennel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Prices vary hugely and price doesn't always reflect quality of care so perhaps shop around a bit more outside of your immediate area. €30 for two does seem a bit too high for 10 days that adds up, but at the same time it depends on the kennels if they charge that much I would expect them to provide the food (unless they are on a specific diet) and at least two really good walks a day, not cooped up. So if they do all that then it's not too bad but don't think I've ever paid that much for two of mine (in the same pen) although we are in the midlands too, the highest I've had to pay is €21.00 a day for the two (with me providing their food).

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Wow, remind me not to move to Dublin with my two dogs. I pay 15eur for my two per night outside of Cork. It's 10eur for one dog per night. Probably is one of the cheapest around but they're looked after very well. Nothing posh but more than good enough. I provide their food but I'm not sure the price would be any different if I didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We pay €12 so that would be €240 but I would be expecting a small discount for the 2nd one. Maybe €200 for the 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

carav10 wrote: »
    Wow, remind me not to move to Dublin with my two dogs. I pay 15eur for my two per night outside of Cork. It's 10eur for one dog per night. Probably is one of the cheapest around but they're looked after very well. Nothing posh but more than good enough. I provide their food but I'm not sure the price would be any different if I didn't.

Sure move up but just never go on holidays!! :p

I paid 20 a night last time but it was a small kennels - there was only 6 dogs there including my guy (think the max was 10 or 12), kennels thenselves weren't modern like other places but I was more worried about the care he'd get. The guy was fantastic - he sat in the back of the car and gave the dog a kiss when we were going lol!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

€14 or €15 per dog per day/night around Meath seems to be the norm. Never heard of anywhere charging €10 to be honest until I saw some of the replies here :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Not to mention that the standard of accommodation is horrible - like little jail cells for dogs - in virtually all of the kennels I inspected before deciding never to use them.

The market's wide open for a couple of dog-lovers to open a place that's a really nice, cosy, homey kennels that dogs love to go to.

I mean, €30! I paid €45 for a night in a very nice B&B in Wexford not long ago!

Meanwhile, I'd see if there's any trustworthy and kind local person who might stay in your home and mind your dogs while you're away. I have a friend who used to do this - a single parent, she and her son would move in and mind homes, dogs, hens, cats for the price of some food and a reasonable fee, and they were a pleasure to have stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

€14 or €15 per dog per day/night around Meath seems to be the norm. Never heard of anywhere charging €10 to be honest until I saw some of the replies here :)

Well in Offaly plenty of Kennels even a state of the art one charging €10 per night.

http://www.boardingkennels.org/details/kennels.php?recordID=5082

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Not to mention that the standard of accommodation is horrible - like little jail cells for dogs - in virtually all of the kennels I inspected before deciding never to use them.

The market's wide open for a couple of dog-lovers to open a place that's a really nice, cosy, homey kennels that dogs love to go to.

I mean, €30! I paid €45 for a night in a very nice B&B in Wexford not long ago!

Meanwhile, I'd see if there's any trustworthy and kind local person who might stay in your home and mind your dogs while you're away. I have a friend who used to do this - a single parent, she and her son would move in and mind homes, dogs, hens, cats for the price of some food and a reasonable fee, and they were a pleasure to have stay.

We do a version of this. Our neighbour who adores our dogs looks after them when we're away, (he has a key anyway) The odd time we do get away he looks after them here, he goes home to his own bed at night but comes back to them first thing in the morning and lets them out, brings them down to his for breakfast and has them throughout the day, between his place and ours.

He's a divil though, he refuses payment so we always bring him home something nice and also bring him places (as he doesn't drive) and also give him a load of firewood for his stove when we get a bulk delivery. TBH he loves the company and the dogs love him. I used to leave Coco in kennels when she was an only girl:D but she's far happier with her own environment and her 'uncle' minding her. Benson I'm sure would be fine in kennels once he had Coco but the freedom they have at home far outweighs what a kennels can offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

The home boarding we use in Mayo/Galway is €10/night. Lex loves it there.

Advertisement