Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to spraymalt or dextrose?

Options
  • 06-09-2012 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi
    I made a batch of wheat beer (Coopers Wheat Beer) using 500g wheat spray malt and 500g dextrose yesterday. (Coriander hops and orange peel too hoegaarden clone). I want to add another 500g or so of sugar or spray malt. Ideally i would like it to be 5-5.5%. Batch density was 1038 at 22C.

2 questions

Can I add dextrose or wsm after the original batch and if so how long before it's too late to add to the batch. (ingredients won't arrive will monday).

What is my upper limit in grams to add in. I don't want it to taste cidery?

Would appreciate all advice
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi

you could boil up the dextrose/DME with some water, let cool and very gently mix into the fermenting beer

Duvel do a similar method of "feeding" the fermenting beer with sugar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maybe down the temperature to slow down fermentation a bit till monday!!!

I added in a few hundred gm of brew sugar with the same Coopers wheat a few days later and it turned out fine... I did a bit of scouting around on the net and seemingly it is better not to overload it with sugar at the start...

Advertisement