Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Gardai - Accomplishments to date

• 06-09-2012 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I had a small argument with a co-worker recently over the guards.

I accused them of being morally corrupt, she strongly disagreed. I asked her to tell me one thing that they had done recently that you could say fair play to. I kind of feel like there is a culture of apathy in the guards that negatively impacts all other parts of society.

My argument went something like this:
    • They havent arrested most of the bankers/politicians who have acted improperly or corruptly
    • They dont overly mind baton-charging protesters
    • They took a long time to respond to a call when our house was broken in, and then didnt take prints. (The "There's very little chance of catching him." attitude)
    • A girl was attacked recently at my local train station (the 3rd in 4 years), yet they havent notified the community or made requests for information. This one really annoyed me, as I thought it would be common sense to do that, and could be preventative.
    • That guard who got a slap on the wrist for making the rape joke. I hate that "closed ranks" mentality
    • The whole Catholic church thing
    I also suggested that if they were not satisfied with the judicial system, it would make sense (and be a bold statement) if the guards were to march for judicial reform.

Her argument was:
    • They dont get adequate support from successive weak governments (fair enough, I suppose)
    • They dont get the respect of the people
    • They do a dangerous job
    • Why should they put up posters when someone has been attacked? They dont do that in other countries.
    • Her dad is a guard
    • They work irregular hours and bank holidays

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

What was the question again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Aganica

How much oil does a gum boil boil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

There wasn't one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I accused them of being morally corrupt, she strongly disagreed. I asked her to tell me one thing that they had done recently that you could say fair play to. I kind of feel like there is a culture of apathy in the guards that negatively impacts all other parts of society.

• They havent arrested most of the bankers/politicians who have acted improperly or corruptly
    • They took a long time to respond to a call when our house was broken in, and then didnt take prints. (The "There's very little chance of catching him." attitude)
    • A girl was attacked recently at my local train station (the 3rd in 4 years), yet they havent notified the community or made requests for information. This one really annoyed me, as I thought it would be common sense to do that, and could be preventative.
    • That guard who got a slap on the wrist for making the rape joke. I hate that "closed ranks" mentality
    I also suggested that if they were not satisfied with the judicial system, it would make sense (and be a bold statement) if the guards were to march for judicial reform.

Her argument was:
    • They dont get adequate support from successive weak governments (fair enough, I suppose)
    • Why should they put up posters when someone has been attacked? They dont do that in other countries.
    • Her dad is a guard

You don't get respect, you earn it.

There are very few Gardaí who I'd respect and the ones that I do are all approaching retirement. IMHO a lot of the younger Gardaí don't give a toss.

• Advertisement

on serious note i hope the lot of them get leprosy

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

[*]Why should they put up posters when someone has been attacked? They dont do that in other countries.

They do it all the time in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Aganica wrote: »

they won't-we don't have it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What a sad pathetic post & thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Aren't the Guards absolutely forbidden to openly protest their conditions?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »

Very true Garda

Say what you will about the Gardaí, they're extremely good when it comes to solving murders/deaths. Take the examples of Manuelo Riedo and Kieran Cunningham, both killed in Galway. The culprits were found and arrested within a week or two. These are just two cases I know about, there are probably many many others. You can say what you will about the sentences they might receive, but that hasn't much to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Musiconomist

Haha, I suppose I was just looking to be proven "right" by complimentary opinions of strangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Why did she imply that they deserve respect?

I want respect because I've got a degree, but that just isn't happening.

EnterNow wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Her argument was:
    • Her dad is a guard

You could have just shortened your post to the highlighted bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

[*]They havent arrested most of the bankers/politicians who have acted improperly or corruptly

They arrested Sean Quinn and his family on fraud charges.
    [*]They dont overly mind baton-charging protesters

As far as I know, they aren't equipped with pepper spray.
    [*]They took a long time to respond to a call when our house was broken in, and then didnt take prints. (The "There's very little chance of catching him." attitude)

Burglars use gloves.
    Plus they'd have to fingerprint everyone in your house and previous visitors to rule their fingerprints out.
    Too much work/cost.
    [*]A girl was attacked recently at my local train station (the 3rd in 4 years), yet they havent notified the community or made requests for information. This one really annoyed me, as I thought it would be common sense to do that, and could be preventative.

It's not their job to notify the community.
    Typically local newspapers do that.
    And if someone had information they should come forward, not expect a personal request for it.
    [*]That guard who got a slap on the wrist for making the rape joke. I hate that "closed ranks" mentality

You think they should be fired for bad humour?

[*]The whole Catholic church thing

What are you talking about, 20 years ago or today? :confused:
    If a claim of abuse is reported of course they're going to investigate it today.

I don't think you understand their role at all.
    They're just detain criminals, make a report and see if their station sergeant agrees they've enough proof to send it to the director of public prosecutions.
    It's up to the DPP to decide to proceed with a criminal case or not, and the Judges to sentence the guilty within the limits of the law for that particular crime.

Another leper:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

[*]That guard who got a slap on the wrist for making the rape joke. I hate that "closed ranks" mentality

You mean the Corrib case where the tape was edited and released to the public to give the impression that the Gardaí were making rape jokes rather than joking about the woman who were accusing them of rape as they were arresting others?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He wants you to agree with him and say Garda are morally corrupt no question just shake your head yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Her argument was:
    • Her dad is a guard

Valid.
    You earn that, the days of someone in a uniform being automatically given resect are gone.
    Not always, in well populated cities sure, but in tiny rural towns I doubt there's anywhere near as much danger. "the swans escaped again" :pac:
    They do.
    And?
    Pffft, cry me a river, so do I, so do barmen, so do people in Mcdonalds. If you dont want to work crappy hours get an office 9-5 job.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    You mean the Corrib case where the tape was edited and released to the public to give the impression that the Gardaí were making rape jokes rather than joking about the woman who were accusing them of rape as they were arresting others?

^ Superintendent leper. Go back to your colony leper !!!!

How do you fit 47 lepers in a Volkswagen? Use a blender. How do you get them out? Use Doritos.

Why did the hooker leave the leper colony?

Business was dropping off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Anyone that can come on here and say the Guards deserve leprosy, have obvioulsy some serious issues. No different than the lads you hear saying all Guards are scum, (basically because the Guards arrest them all the time for breaking the law and wont let them rob whenever they want).

Personally I have no issues with them because I dont break the law so have no need to be annoyed with them. I do understand that there are people that also dont break the law and have maybe been burgled that have an issue with them due to the time taken to respond or to solve the problems.

They do a pretty hard job imo and have to deal with some of the worst scumbags in town, the type of people most of us would avoid at all costs and they dont get a whole lot of thanks for it. I for one would not like their job at all especially on a friday and saturday night when they are out breaking up fights and getting abused by the scum.

As for accomplishments to date well who knows as what do you measure, I suppose you would have to take them out of the equation and have no Guards around for a set period of time and compare the crime in that period to an equivalent period with the Guards there to truly measure their accomplishments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Why did the hooker leave the leper colony?

Business was dropping off.

Banned.

They arrested Sean Quinn and his family on fraud charges.
    Exactly. Not a politician yet. If the Quinns hadnt paid their bin charge they'd have gotten worse.

As far as I know, they aren't equipped with pepper spray.
    I assume that's a joke. Have you seen the picture of the guard batoning a protester holding up his fingers in a piece sign?
    Burglars use gloves.
    Plus they'd have to fingerprint everyone in your house and previous visitors to rule their fingerprints out.
    Too much work/cost.
    You dont know all burglars use gloves.
    Also, too much work/cost? They may as well have told us on the phone that they werent going to look for the criminal and saved on the petrol money.
    It's not their job to notify the community.
    Typically local newspapers do that.
    And if someone had information they should come forward, not expect a personal request for it.
    You've missed the point. How would someone know to come forward? Word of mouth, if at all! There's not 3 million people glued to crimeline. Also, gathering evidence and possibly preventing crime isnt the guards job?
    What are you talking about, 20 years ago or today? :confused:
    If a claim of abuse is reported of course they're going to investigate it today.
    How many guards were aware of abuse claims, and didnt act? How many priests/bishops failed to report abuse claims and were never punished? Just this week, one admitted moving an abuser between dioceses.
    I don't think you understand their role at all.
    They're just detain criminals, make a report and see if their station sergeant agrees they've enough proof to send it to the director of public prosecutions.
    It's up to the DPP to decide to proceed with a criminal case or not, and the Judges to sentence the guilty within the limits of the law for that particular crime.
    My point is that they dont even do that part. Get the criminals into the courtrooms. At that point, their job is done. If the judge makes a bad decision, at least it's not the guards fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

The most pathetic thing about this thread is my comment and the fact that I was so annoyed I felt I had to post something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Oh good. A Garda bash! :( Never enough of those.

mitosis wrote: »
    Oh good. A Garda bash! :( Never enough of those.

Oh good. A Garda bash bash! :( Never enough of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Get assaulted. Verbally abused. Deal with complete scumbags. See the justice system piss all over their work. Enter the homes of dead people on the request of family/friends. See bodies twisted up in a crash. Break news to families. Conduct boring stops and deal with stupid calls wasting their time. Arrest the same little scumbag over and over. Be spat on.

This is around 1% of the stuff the gardái deal with in a single shift at times. While you're enjoying your shift in a cosy office.

I notice the people who bash the gardaí are normally softies. If you just came from a call where bodies were torn up in a crash could you grit your teeth and deal with a little nuisance scumbag or go around 'aiming to please' 100% of the time? Especially on that pathetic wage they get? No I imagine you'd go whimper and hand in your notice the next day.

Show some more respect to the people who genuinely put themselves into serious danger with little more than a metal stick.

A Garda bashing thread?
    On Boards?
    WTF?

cursai wrote: »
    The most pathetic thing about this thread is my comment and the fact that I was so annoyed I felt I had to post something.

This might seem pathetic or funny to you, but it's quite serious to me.

The girl who was attacked was 14/15, so I've been told, near my train station at about 10-11pm, at the bottom of my girlfriends road. I know where because I walked past the police tape the next morning.

That is why it angers me to think that the guards could be doing more. It is ordinary people who pay the price, in the end.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Get assaulted. Verbally abused. Deal with complete scumbags. See the justice system piss all over their work. Enter the homes of dead people on the request of family/friends. See bodies twisted up in a crash. Break news to families. Conduct boring stops and deal with stupid calls wasting their time. Arrest the same little scumbag over and over. Be spat on.

This is around 1% of the stuff the gardái deal with in a single shift at times. While you're enjoying your shift in a cosy office.

I notice the people who bash the gardaí are normally softies. If you just came from a call where bodies were torn up in a crash could you grit your teeth and deal with a little nuisance scumbag or go around 'aiming to please' 100% of the time? Especially on that pathetic wage they get? No I imagine you'd go whimper and hand in your notice the next day.

Show some more respect to the people who genuinely put themselves into serious danger with little more than a metal stick.

I agree with the majority of the points you've raised. It is a hard and mostly thankless job. And to clarify, I am 100% a softie, with an office job. And I would never be a guard. But that's why I never applied to be a guard, passed the entry exams or went through the training. Every guard chose to be a guard, and knew what the job would entail. If any dont like it, they are free to change their minds.

In agreeing with most of your points, I cant say that they do a great job though. I've said already what I find wrong with their attitude and methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

When was the last time the Gardaí baton charged protesters? The May Day things about 8 yrs ago IIRC. And the Garda who was the main culprit there was brought to court.

How many Gardaí were killed/seriously injured on duty since? At least two killed (possibly more) and many more stabbed/shot at/assualted.

And yet people remember/give out to Gardaí for baton charging people and forget how much they put themselves on the line for the ordinary people. Sure there are bad ones, sure there are excellent ones and most of them are probably average like most professions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The Gardai acomplish hundres and thousands of things every month/year.

You just don't get to hear about them. Doesn't mean they dont happen.

You have given two examples of your personal experiences that were negative.

How can you possibly draw any conclusions from those?

• Advertisement

I agree with the majority of the points you've raised. It is a hard and mostly thankless job. And to clarify, I am 100% a softie, with an office job. And I would never be a guard. But that's why I never applied to be a guard, passed the entry exams or went through the training. Every guard chose to be a guard, and knew what the job would entail. If any dont like it, they are free to change their minds.

In agreeing with most of your points, I cant say that they do a great job though. I've said already what I find wrong with their attitude and methods.

My main point is that gardaí do the toughest work in Ireland. Statistics say they'll die almost 10 years before their time due to mental issues related to their work.

You don't get into the gardaí if you're a big robot who feels nothing. Part of the criteria is being able to deal with people. **** they enter homes to take children away from **** parents and inform people their son is wrapped around a tree. They're people.

Recently an article came out (was on AH - not arsed to find a link) about a garda who quit the force. He mentioned he'd often arrive for duty without so much as a patrol car available to use. Or not being allowed to pursue a case as there wasn't the overtime available.

Police in no country turn up with the superman cape flying from their backs.

You've said you couldn't be a guard. Fair enough. But critisising them in the way you do is reminiscent of a fat fúcker sitting on a bar stool critisising Rooney.

I'm thinking of applying when I'm finished my degree. And honestly the biggest factor that puts me off is the level of garda bashing I'd have to hear while dragging myself out of bed to go to work and deal with horrible, horrible incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I cant say that they do a great job though.
    Considering that you don't really understand what it is the Gardai do, I'm not really surprised that they don't live up to your unrealistic expectations.

Valetta wrote: »
    The Gardai acomplish hundres and thousands of things every month/year.

You just don't get to hear about them. Doesn't mean they dont happen.

You have given two examples of your personal experiences that were negative.

How can you possibly draw any conclusions from those?

Actually, those were just the most obvious two that came to mind. There are others. I do know that the guards do a lot, but in my opinion, there are things that could be improved.

As for drawing conclusions from my own experiences, how could I draw conclusions from anything else?

kevmy85 wrote: »
    When was the last time the Gardaí baton charged protesters? The May Day things about 8 yrs ago IIRC. And the Garda who was the main culprit there was brought to court.

How many Gardaí were killed/seriously injured on duty since? At least two killed (possibly more) and many more stabbed/shot at/assualted.

And yet people remember/give out to Gardaí for baton charging people and forget how much they put themselves on the line for the ordinary people. Sure there are bad ones, sure there are excellent ones and most of them are probably average like most professions.

The last baton charge I recall (ha - compared to the London Met or any other riot squad, the gardaí are softies) was outside the department of Finance against students and Eirigi two years ago. They were occupying a government department and blocking the street in an unauthorized 'split' protest from the main student march.

The gardaí allowed it to continue for around 40 minutes. They then dragged people from the department. Made numerous announcements for the crowed to move. This was while unprotected gardái in normal uniform were being pelted with bottles and stones from Eirigi at the rear of the crowed.

The riot squad then battoned sitting protesters when they failed to move. Looked harsh but meh... over an hour is more than enough time to comply with reasonable orders from the gardaí as it was now a public order situation where gardaí were being assaulted.

People whinge over anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

a fat guy wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

Hows that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Tarring every single guard with the same brush is a bit much. Sure there are jobs-worths, same as every single profession. It's not the random guard on the beats fault the "corrupt politicians" haven't been arrested. Those things take time, months maybe years to compile evidence books. No point in saying 'sure look at the economy, thats the evidence you need'. It simply doesn't work like that. Also it's not csi. The chances of finding a usable print amongst thousands of others are slim. I hate Garda bashing threads, especially when the actual basing is awfully poorly constructed without actual plausible basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As for drawing conclusions from my own experiences, how could I draw conclusions from anything else?
    Typically when people want to draw conclusions from outside of their own experience, they go and do some research. Simple things like facts and figures are a good place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I wonder how many of the people defending the gardai have been the victim of a crime and needed them.

I had a reasonably positive attitude to them until I needed them and since that time I find it difficult not to regard them with contempt.

I have to accept it's bad to judge a whole organisation based on one personal experience but it's consistent with reports from other people.

I think things are improving as there seems to be at least a growing accountability for misconduct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Just go to a district court and you can see what they do. If you want to see the more serious stuff then go to the CCJ or circuit court sitting around the country. That's just crime stuff. There's a lot more involved in the job. For example, have a look at road death figures for the past decade. See that decline? That didn't happen by accident you know. See all those dead peoples names? Who do you think broke that news to their families?

And Gardaí are not able to take industrial action, it's illegal. I suggest if you'd like some change you campaign for it and stop moaning on the internet.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    My main point is that gardaí do the toughest work in Ireland. Statistics say they'll die almost 10 years before their time due to mental issues related to their work.

You don't get into the gardaí if you're a big robot who feels nothing. Part of the criteria is being able to deal with people. **** they enter homes to take children away from **** parents and inform people their son is wrapped around a tree. They're people.

Recently an article came out (was on AH - not arsed to find a link) about a garda who quit the force. He mentioned he'd often arrive for duty without so much as a patrol car available to use. Or not being allowed to pursue a case as there wasn't the overtime available.

Police in no country turn up with the superman cape flying from their backs.

You've said you couldn't be a guard. Fair enough. But critisising them in the way you do is reminiscent of a fat fúcker sitting on a bar stool critisising Rooney.

I'm thinking of applying when I'm finished my degree. And honestly the biggest factor that puts me off is the level of garda bashing I'd have to hear while dragging myself out of bed to go to work and deal with horrible, horrible incidents.

Dont get me started on Rooney.

I do feel for the honest guards. If it was me, I would like to feel like I'm making a difference. From what I can see though, they simply arent doing, or maybe arent being allowed to do, their jobs.

No one can tell me that more priests, bishops, high ranking guards, bankers and politicians shouldnt have been arrested over the last 50 years. The bishop's admittal this week that he knowingly moved an offender from one diocese to another should have meant his immediate arrest. Why is this acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Exactly. Not a politician yet.

A law has to be broken first.
    Please tell me which law a politician has broken specifically?
    Fianna Fail were incompetent at managing the economy and made a serious judgement call on the bank guarantee but they were legally elected and given the power to make that call.
    They didn't break a law.
    Maybe the financial regulator could've been punished for rubber stamping false declarations from the banks, but what politician has broken a law?
    You don't understand the situation.
    I assume that's a joke. Have you seen the picture of the guard batoning a protester holding up his fingers in a piece sign?

Gardai have the right to use force to remove people who are causing an obstruction/disruption to the community if necessary.
    If they protestors organized a legal march through the city centre there wouldn't be a problem, it happens all the time without incident.
    You dont know all burglars use gloves.

And not all bank robbers wear masks/disguises, but we all know the majority do. It's common sense.
    You've missed the point. How would someone know to come forward? Word of mouth, if at all! There's not 3 million people glued to crimeline. Also, gathering evidence and possibly preventing crime isnt the guards job?

How do you know that they didn't request information?
    On serious incidents they post notices at the scene of the crime and the Gardai ask people if they were around that location at the time.

How many guards were aware of abuse claims, and didnt act?

You tell me?
    The gardai have enough work to do with reported crimes, they're not going to go on speculation unless someone makes a report/complaint.
    How many priests/bishops failed to report abuse claims and were never punished? Just this week, one admitted moving an abuser between dioceses.

You need to prove they had knowledge of it.
    Also, they could argue that they heard it under the seal of confession and were not able to disclose it.
    My point is that they dont even do that part. Get the criminals into the courtrooms. At that point, their job is done.

No... you still don't understand.
    Their job is not to get the criminals to the courtrooms.
    You need to read up on the Irish justice system.

Their job is to obtain evidence and file charges to the DPP.
    The director of public prosecutions makes a decision whether or not the Guards have enough evidence and have followed the proper procedures (warrants etc), to bring the alleged criminal to court.... not the guards.

Probably because they put themselves in these situations so you can be a bit safer

http://www.herald.ie/news/five-gardai-in-hospital-after-cars-rammed-by-stolen-vehicles-2921999.html

How many guards were aware of abuse claims, and didnt act? How many priests/bishops failed to report abuse claims and were never punished? Just this week, one admitted moving an abuser between dioceses.

How many parents were aware of the claims and did not act? And even sent the kids back to their abuser. The fact is that the church had such a hold over the country that nobody did anything. It's a little strange to be blaming the Gardaí alone. The whole country should take some of that blame.
    My point is that they dont even do that part. Get the criminals into the courtrooms. At that point, their job is done. If the judge makes a bad decision, at least it's not the guards fault.

The Gardaí also have to prosecute the case as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

Having to call to someones door and tell them that their son has died in a car accident is reason enough to deserve respect.

If the scumbags in this country respected the guards there would be a lot less problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Dont get me started on Rooney.

I do feel for the honest guards. If it was me, I would like to feel like I'm making a difference. From what I can see though, they simply arent doing, or maybe arent being allowed to do, their jobs.

No one can tell me that more priests, bishops, high ranking guards, bankers and politicians shouldnt have been arrested over the last 50 years. The bishop's admittal this week that he knowingly moved an offender from one diocese to another should have meant his immediate arrest. Why is this acceptable?

This is my point.

You can't see all that the guards do, so therefore shouldn't be drawing conclusions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement