Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LEDS or CFLs for attic conversion

• 06-09-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am doing an attic conversion. I have a choice of say 8 LEDs or 2 CFLs. In terms of energy costs which wins?

I was initially thinking 8 LEDS but if you have to have 8 of them maybe CFLs could win.

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi,
    I am doing an attic conversion. I have a choice of say 8 LEDs or 2 CFLs. In terms of energy costs which wins?

I was initially thinking 8 LEDS but if you have to have 8 of them maybe CFLs could win.

Advice appreciated.

What do you mean 'choice' , who's giving you this Ultimatum? They can give you the watt consumption and then you'll know which 'choice' wins..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

provided 8 LEDs will give the same light as 2 CFLs the answer is simple.

which of the two option has the lowers Wattage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

depends on the quality of light...

CFL in this day have good colour rendering, and a nice colour. Typically you will see 827 on a good domestic CFL, the 8 meaning 0.8 CRi (an incandescent lamp gets 1, meaning all colours are rendered visually correctly) and 27 meaning 2700Kelvin - warm white.
    HOWEVER, you're fitting 2 as against 8 LEDs - will there be enough, or will you have inconsistent light levels?

LEDs on the other had a poor reputation for colour rending / light temperature unless you spend appriox. €20 each per lamp... but you will have plenty of them, so good levels.

In an attic scenario, I would go with LED spotlights, but of a reputable brand (i.e. Philips MasterLED)

Advertisement