Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going Back in Time to Visit Your Younger Self

• 06-09-2012 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure where to put this thread but anyway, feel free to move.

A colleague and myself were thinking about the hypothetical situation where one could go back in time to visit their younger self and give one nugget of information to themselves that would help them along the journey. After days, neither of us could come up with just one piece of advice so we said we'd go for 3. I'm still waiting for his answers, but after some drunken pontification, I think the following three would be mine:

1. Keep your credit rating squeaky clean

2. It's likely that what you do after your leaving cert will have a bigger bearing on your future career than the actual exam itself

3. Never compromise your own happiness or ideals for the sake of romantic love - there will always be someone better for you

Not much after 28 years but there you go.

Any contributions? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

4. Check that this thread hasn't been done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Dont eat that kebab

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

don't start smoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Never look back....always look forward....unless Dale Winton is behind you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Thing won't just work themselves out, or fall into your lap. Even if it seems that way for other people. You have to know where you're going and how to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Don't slap that sunburnt girl's back in Gran Canaria you cheeky little pup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

4. Check that this thread hasn't been done before.

1. learn to count (4 has no place in a 1-3 game)
    2. if you dont think a thread should exist due to similar threads existing...er dont post on it?
    3. be nice :D

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    1. learn to count (4 has no place in a 1-3 game)
    2. if you dont think a thread should exist due to similar threads existing...er dont post on it?
    3. be nice :D

1. I dont think anybodys paying attention to your 1-3 rule.
    2. Never mentioned anything regarding weather this thread should exist or not.
    3. That was me being nice.

Don't ride that nurse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Put a 100 euros on Greece winning euro 2004

• Advertisement

1. I dont think anybodys paying attention to your 1-3 rule.
    2. Never mentioned anything regarding weather this thread should exist or not.
    3. That was me being nice.

I think you're looking for the "I want to fight with someone for the sake of it" thread - try an abortion/gay marriage one - they're full of people willing to give you the anonymous little spat you're clearly looking for :D

If your parents don't like him, there's probably a damn good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Go to college
    don't smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Sin City wrote: »

Why only 100? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Tell myself its true what all the grown ups say enjoy your youth as best you can it'll be gone soon.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Tell myself its true what all the grown ups say enjoy your youth as best you can it'll be gone soon.

true, and realise that the point at which you are least confident about your body (say 17-20) is actually when you have the best figure, youthful complexion that hasn't yet been ravaged by drinking and smoking etc ;)

I'm more confident about my body and looks now than when I was a teenager/early twenties but it's definitley further south and "cuddly" now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Sin City wrote: »

At 100/1 you would of picketed €10,000 plus you 100 back. Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

Let me add my 3:

Apply yourself more in school. You have the brains and apptitude but not the right attitude.

Don't smoke.

Don't bottle things up inside you, be open with your thoughts and emotions (maybe a male thing, but certainly a family trait so I didn't lick it off the ground).

I think you're looking for the "I want to fight with someone for the sake of it" thread - try an abortion/gay marriage one - they're full of people willing to give you the anonymous little spat you're clearly looking for :D

Roll on with the If you could go back in time thread#476 then. Honestly, if you are going to be so sensitive with your threads, dont post them in Afterhours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Dont get your (now ex-)fiance's name tattooed lol. She will ask, but what you say is NO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

The winning Irish and Euro lottery numbers for all draws since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

get busy living or get busy dying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

1. They will always tell you that school is the best time of your life. That's a load of sh1te. School will be hard as hell, stand up for yourself more and don't take bullies' crap lying down like you may feel like doing.

2. Appreciate, and spend time with, your friends more. Some of them will not be with us as long as you may think.

3. Stop over thinking everything. It really doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Not sure where to put this thread but anyway, feel free to move.

A colleague and myself were thinking about the hypothetical situation where one could go back in time to visit their younger self and give one nugget of information to themselves that would help them along the journey. After days, neither of us could come up with just one piece of advice so we said we'd go for 3. I'm still waiting for his answers, but after some drunken pontification, I think the following three would be mine:

1. Keep your credit rating squeaky clean

2. It's likely that what you do after your leaving cert will have a bigger bearing on your future career than the actual exam itself

3. Never compromise your own happiness or ideals for the sake of romantic love - there will always be someone better for you

Not much after 28 years but there you go.

Any contributions? :)

If you go back in time you cant talk to yourself. It would create a paradox in the spacetime continum and the universe would be destroyed

[QUOTE=SouthTippBass;80637273]Roll on with the If you could go back in time thread#476 then. Honestly, if you are going to be so sensitive with your threads, dont post them in Afterhours.[/QUOTE]

Great :D

Tazium wrote: »
    The winning Irish and Euro lottery numbers for all draws since.
    There's always one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

get out and see the world, it gives you a broader perspective

never give up what you want to suit somebody you "think" you are in love with.

Always try to have a focus, and work during your life - work hard and play hard
    Don't just sit around watching the clock thinking you have an "easy life" on the dole - fact is you have no life - life is far more rewarding when you work for what you have.

I think I may have done this wrong - this would be advise for any young person. and not myself. thankfully I have always been lucky enough to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

1. Buy in 1997
    2. Sell in 2007
    3. Don't think with your ****

Advertisement