Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bog standard desktop

• 06-09-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I tried a search but nothing suitable came up...

I'm looking for recommendations for a bog standard PC; where to buy and how much to pay?

My laptop has served me well over the last few years, but it is on its last legs (yes, I've backed up everything). I have a tablet for casual internet browsing, so what I'm looking for is a PC for storing all my music, pics, videos etc. and streaming them to my TV (via apple tv) and also to work on the odd presentation/essay/word document. I'm not a gamer so nothing needs to be top end stuff.

I'm thinking 4gb ram and 500gb to 1tb with a half decent processor, but any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

This one seems good value if you can find an Aldi with one in it:

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys2_22915.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11 allancar

Really? I've bought a few gadgets from Aldi over the years for 10 here and 20 there and they've been hit and miss, but I would be nervous buying something that big. It looks good alright, but I don't know one processor from another, have you bought or used one?

Thanks for the suggestion

AMD is fine, you have a full gaurentee from them and their PC's are as good as anyone's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

I suggest you make a post in the PC Building And Upgrading forum. Fill out this form and you'll get some sound advice.

Building is of course the best way to go in my opinion but most people dont want the hassle especially for something thats not any special.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's the hassle free "does what it says on the tin" option I'm looking for. A build is a bit daunting to be honest.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

If you definitely want a pre-built, that aldi rig looks decent for the price. I had a Medion a few years back and it did me well. Although I'm not familiar with apple tv, do you need an iOS device to stream to it?

If you definitely want a pre-built, that aldi rig looks decent for the price. I had a Medion a few years back and it did me well. Although I'm not familiar with apple tv, do you need an iOS device to stream to it?

Yeah, at the moment it goes from my laptop thru my iphone to the tv

I must take a trip to Aldi so.

Advertisement