Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting new house, Bord Gais wan't €200e deposit, can't afford it. Any advice?

Options
  • 06-09-2012 11:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭

So I just moved into a new house and found out that Bord Gais needs a 200e deposit, even though the guy who signed me up on the phone said there would be no deposit.

Anyway, I rang them up and said listen, I won't be able to afford the 200e by the deadline, so I'll just wait till November when it's colder and then go ahead with it. You can turn off the gas till then.

Then he said "Ok, that will cost you 140e in total, for disconnecting and reconnecting".

Can't fecking afford that either!

So what the hell can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

When i signed up with them they waived the deposit if i went for direct debit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Allah_

Even with direct debit they want a deposit... what will happen if I just tell them to eff off, I don't want their gas and I'm not paying to be disconnected?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Normally they don't look for it if you pay via DD, no real way around it to be honest....could try another provider.

But bottom line is they want to limit the risk to themselves, can't say I blame them especially with rentals. you can tell them to eff off as you so nicely put it but that won't solve your problem come winter,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Would a prepaid meter be an option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Avoid bord gas go to electricity Ireland formally esb they do gas aswell and yes u have a deposit added on to ur first bill but it means u don't have to deal with those cu*ts in BG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

I rang them up and asked why I as a homeowner was being asked to pay. They said sorry, thought I was renting and the deposit was waived. They will take your word for it.

Prepaid meter would be 110e, non refundable. And I need permission from the landlord to install that. I'm only here a few days and I don't want to be asking for permission to re-wire the house already! At least I'd get the 200e deposit back at some stage... it's just a big pain in the hole. And it just feels wrong that they're asking for money off me already and haven't touched the gas, nor do I want it.

I rang them up and asked why I as a homeowner was being asked to pay. They said sorry, thought I was renting and the deposit was waived. They will take your word for it.

But I'm not a home owner, I'm renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Dont bother pay the deposit, they will keep sending out a letter every month. The exact same thing everytime, they were not threatening letters or phone calls either. Once you pay the bills on time they are no worrys. My auctioneer told me not to pay and lots of others dont pay the deposit either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

Allah_ wrote: »
    But I'm not a home owner, I'm renting.

And i've never owned a house in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

OP

Can you switch to Flogas ?

There is nothing mentioned about any deposit on their website .

http://www.flogasnaturalgas.ie/howdoi.php?anchor=hdi01#hdi01

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Plug wrote: »
    Dont bother pay the deposit, they will keep sending out a letter every month. The exact same thing everytime, they were not threatening letters or phone calls either. Once you pay the bills on time they are no worrys. My auctioneer told me not to pay and lots of others dont pay the deposit either.

After about two years of doing this, they threatened me with disconnection. Not for not paying the deposit, but for arrears in my bills. Turned out they used the money I was paying for gas used to pay off the deposit first. So, unknowingly, I had paid them the deposit but had run up deposit-sized arrears...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭tdow

edellc wrote: »
    Avoid bord gas go to electricity Ireland formally esb they do gas aswell and yes u have a deposit added on to ur first bill but it means u don't have to deal with those cu*ts in BG

As far as I know, you won't have to pay a deposit with electric Ireland if you sign up for direct debit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

tdow wrote: »
    edellc wrote: »

As far as I know, you won't have to pay a deposit with electric Ireland if you sign up for direct debit

No I am renting and they said there Will be no deposit if paying by dd.there deposit is 300 euro though

Advertisement