Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MovieExtras

Options
  • 06-09-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I recently signed up to MovieExtras.ie and i got asked whether i was available to be on extra on Fair City the next day, but i wasn't available to i said no. I was just wondering if this would affect my chances of getting called to be an extra in the future or will they continue to send out availability checks to everyone and pick from the ones who reply yes which ones they'll bring in?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

Hi

Derek here from MovieExtras.ie.

No, by turning down an av check, it will NOT affect any future opportunities.

Once we find out who is available than generally we will pass the list onto to the casting director who makes the final choice.

The main thing that will affect you getting more work is not showing up when booked, generally you will not be offered anything in the future if you are a no show.

If you have any other questions you can always email Don at Support@MovieExtras.ie

Cheers
    Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭sleepyman

Is there alot of competition for extra places or is it just pot luck who the production company are looking for?
    I signed up to movieextras before Christmas but unfortunately haven't received any calls.
    I have updated my personal information etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

That first reply was a bit awkward...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

sleepyman wrote: »
    Is there alot of competition for extra places or is it just pot luck who the production company are looking for?
    I signed up to movieextras before Christmas but unfortunately haven't received any calls.
    I have updated my personal information etc.

Its complete pot luck. I was a member of MovieExtras and got a serious consideration for Season 1 of Games of Thrones. I couldn't take it as it required 12 weeks of availability or something crazy like that. Annoyed I didn't take it now but I couldn't have at the time. I suspended my subscription as I went to the States for a few months. I'm going to renew it soon enough.

Key points though:
    • Its not a job nor a dependable income. If you want to make regular money, become an actor and get out there.
    • Its a bit of fun and the odd bit of drinking money. In my experience, you'll probably make back your subscription at the very least. Others have made very good money indeed. Many of the jobs (About ~75%) I was asked to do were unpaid I'll note.
    • Lastly, its entirely pot luck as to who gets chosen. Remember MovieExtras are pretty much a casting agency. They hand the production a list of people that fit a basic profile and the production choose who they want. If you have a skill it may increase your chances of getting hired i.e. Musician, Martial Arts, Experienced horse rider etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ironclaw wrote: »
    [*]Its not a job nor a dependable income. If you want to make regular money, become an actor and get out there.

Hah! Regular money as an actor? :pac:
    If you have a skill it may increase your chances of getting hired i.e. Musician, Martial Arts, Experienced horse rider etc.

For things like Game of Thrones, Vikings etc. it can help if you're a guy that you have facial hair too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement