Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Viewing on Mars

Options
  • 06-09-2012 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Anyone familiar with the Farsight Institute?

In 2010 they conducted a remote viewing study concentrating on Mars. Some of their findings included locating an active industrial site on the planet and an artificial dome and tunnels.

I remember this being reported about at the time but I forgot about it until now. This remote viewing session began with a photo taken by the Mars Observer. Here is a link to an article and presentation by the Institute.

I am not sure what to make of this particular study but I don't think I can dismiss Remote Viewing as a subject out of hand seeing as it was taken so seriously by various intelligence agencies over the years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone familiar with the Farsight Institute?

In 2010 they conducted a remote viewing study concentrating on Mars. Some of their findings included locating an active industrial site on the planet and an artificial dome and tunnels.

I remember this being reported about at the time but I forgot about it until now. This remote viewing session began with a photo taken by the Mars Observer. Here is a link to an article and presentation by the Institute.

So, what did their study result in? Have any of their findings been verified? I presume we're waiting for the Curiosity Rover to find an active industrial site before claiming any kind of success?
    I am not sure what to make of this particular study but I don't think I can dismiss Remote Viewing as a subject out of hand seeing as it was taken so seriously by various intelligence agencies over the years.

Any number of insane research projects were entertained by intelligence agencies over the years, particularly during the Cold War, erring on the side of "better safe than sorry" I suppose. Didn't the CIA conduct a survey and determine that it was a waste of time and money and that it never produced anything useful? As I recall there was a rather eccentric military guy who was driving this kind of research. He used to think he could walk through walls, etc... Once he retired or died, so too did the research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Dave! wrote: »
    So, what did their study result in? Have any of their findings been verified? I presume we're waiting for the Curiosity Rover to find an active industrial site before claiming any kind of success?

The report has not yet been published. I believe the main mission of the Curiosity Rover is to analyse soil and atmospheric samples for organic compounds and attempt to detect traces of water.
    Any number of insane research projects were entertained by intelligence agencies over the years, particularly during the Cold War, erring on the side of "better safe than sorry" I suppose. Didn't the CIA conduct a survey and determine that it was a waste of time and money and that it never produced anything useful? As I recall there was a rather eccentric military guy who was driving this kind of research. He used to think he could walk through walls, etc... Once he retired or died, so too did the research.

I don't know about anyone that thought he could walk through walls, you probably know more about this kind of thing than me.

I would normally be quite skeptical but I just find the topic of remote viewing interesting. I agree with you that a lot of probably crazy projects were undertaken by intelligence agencies over the years and especially during the cold war. But we don't know if any of these projects have been revisited or are currently being conducted by intelligence agencies as this type of information is obviously not in the public domain.

What is in the public domain though is the fact that the UK MOD conducted a short Remote Viewing trial as recently as 2002. Link The report does not state how eccentric or otherwise the military guys heading this study were however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

That's what "The Men Who Stare at Goats",was based on. Worth reading or if you couldn't be bothered reading it, the film is fairly good too. As far as I know, there's still abit of it going on.Not as much as the 70's , but they still have guys researching some mental ****e, mainly tech based,like can you make some one psychic by spamming certain parts of the brain with low level emf's.I heard certain sections of FBI are into a small bit of it themselves, mainly too do with profiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

From Wikipedia
    In the early 1990s the Military Intelligence Board, chaired by DIA chief Soyster, appointed an Army Colonel, William Johnson, to manage the remote viewing unit and evaluate its objective usefulness. Funding dissipated in late 1994 and the program went into decline. The project was transferred out of DIA to the CIA in 1995.

In 1995, the CIA hired the American Institutes for Research (AIR) to perform a retrospective evaluation of the results generated by the Stargate project. Reviewers included Ray Hyman and Jessica Utts. Utts maintained that there had been a statistically significant positive effect, with some subjects scoring 5%-15% above chance. Hyman argued that Utts' conclusion that ESP had been proven to exist, "is premature, to say the least." Hyman said the findings had yet to be replicated independently, and that more investigation would be necessary to "legitimately claim the existence of paranormal functioning."

Based upon both of their studies, which recommended a higher level of critical research and tighter controls, the CIA terminated the 20 million dollar project in 1995.Time magazine stated in 1995 that three full-time psychics were still working on a $500,000-a-year budget out of Fort Meade, Maryland, which would soon be shut down. The AIR report concluded that no usable intelligence data was produced in the program. David Goslin, of the American Institute for Research said, "There's no documented evidence it had any value to the intelligence community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_viewing#Decline_and_termination

So basically the CIA inherited the research project in 1995, cut off funding the same year & a report concluded that no useable intelligence was ever produced by the program.

With all that money invested, all the time invested & no useable data was ever produced...I think I'm fairly satisfied this phenomena doesn't exist.

Advertisement