Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams Online

Options
  • 06-09-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has used the Debenhams website before.

I placed my very first order with them yesterday for € 65.00.
    Payment was taken from my card as soon as the transaction went through, but about an hour later i got another email, stating that they had cancelled my order for security reasons, but could not give me the details.
    The payment however has not been refunded. I called customer services and she could give me no explaination, only that it could take " a few days " for the payment to be returned. She didnt know if the stock was available, or what security reasons was used to cancel, or in fact anything.
    I asked to speak to a supervisor but was instead told to send a complaint to an email address, which as it happens has an automated response time of 3 working days.
    I have been on their terms and conditions page and read this ;
    2.3 We take payment from your card, when we process your order and have checked your card details. Goods are subject to availability. If we are unable to supply the goods, we will inform you of this as soon as possible. A full refund will be given if you have already paid for the goods.

Does this mean they can take payments immediately but refunds can take anything up to a few days..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Refunds normally take a few days on credit cards regardless of where you buy from.

I would contact your bank to check is there an issue with your card which caused them to decline payment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Regardless of if they either just authorised your card or took a payment you are still looking at a waiting period, if its a authorisation your bank could hold it for say 5 working days. If its a refund it could be 2-3 working days to receive it.

Those are the timeframes you are looking at regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

I have to wait it out so.
    Just seems like sharp practice to take payments so fast but so slow to refund back.
    I have checked with my bank and they tell me all the details are correct and I shouldn't have had a problem. All the billing addresses are the same on my online account with Debenhams also.

Are online companies in general allowed to take payments for goods they dont have in stock ? ( without giving a lead time )
    You know they way some websites have stock alined with actual warehouse stock and the cart system stock online.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's not sharp practice - it's the way that the credit card system works.

Also, they may not have actually debited your card at the time, but instead placed a hold on the card for the funds. There are more nuances to this than you may realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

I suppose from a consumer point of view, it would be nice to know the reasons why they could not send the order.
    The customer services phoneline do not know, which means i cant go to re - order it again, as they cant even tell me if the product is actual in stock.

I'll await my automated answer from them.

Thanks for the input.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement