Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipod repair. Memory reduced

• 06-09-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi there. I hope to get a few informed opinions. I left an iPod4with 64 GB of memory in for repair with a cracked screen. It was still working away. They accepted it and said there was a chance it might be repaired that day so I could pick it up, as I live a couple of hours away from the repair shop. It wasn’t so I had to get them to send it out to me.

When it arrived I examined it and found that it now only had 8GB of memory plus the screen replacement job was pretty bad. It was lifting off one side of the iPod.

I rang and told them my complaint, only about the memory first.They said they’d get back to me next day but didn’t. I rang them and they said the engineer hadn’t been in since. WhenI told them about the screen being unacceptable they said pretty curtly to just send it back, no further comment on the memory.

I still haven’t got around to sending it back. That was yesterday.

Today they rang again and said they had spoken to the engineer.This is what he said happened.

When he took off the cracked screen, the iPod stopped working.He replaced it with an 8GB inner (don’t know the correct term,) that they had,never checking that it was a 64 GB device that he was working on.

They said they shouldn’t have accepted it but seeing as they did they now accept some responsibility but don’t have a 64 GB inner (board?) to replace it with but can replace it with a 16 or a 32. Now a 16 is in no way acceptable to me, but I did suspect for some while that I miscalculated the amount of memory I would need and 32 would have been ample to buy. I told him that 16 would not be acceptable and I would think about it.

So, what do you people think? Is this an acceptable offer? How difficult is it to get a hold of 64GBpart? Just want to know what people think as I would like to get some facts before I proceed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'd say they are chancing their arm. Tell them you want the original parts and ur money back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I haven't seen any logic boards for the 4th gen iPod touch for sale separately, AFAIK they are not available as a spare part.
    I'd image they have some broken 16gb and 32gb ipod touches for spares and don't don't want to shell out the €400 for a 64gb iPod touch for a replacement logic board.
    They should have told you they damaged the logic board before just replacing it with a lower spec

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LuckyLoki

I haven't seen any logic boards for the 4th gen iPod touch for sale separately, AFAIK they are not available as a spare part.
    I'd image they have some broken 16gb and 32gb ipod touches for spares and don't don't want to shell out the €400 for a 64gb iPod touch for a replacement logic board.
    They should have told you they damaged the logic board before just replacing it with a lower spec

I guess what I'm wondering is do you think they damaged it seeing as it was working when I left it in?

Also if I ask for the parts back I, frankly, would have no idea if I had the correct parts or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose you could ask for the 32GB memory and that the screen replacement job will be free of charge as they bolloxed it up.
    Mind this means they will still have to fix the screen again, this time without fee, so either they'll say no or take ages to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

guil wrote: »
    I'd say they are chancing their arm. Tell them you want the original parts and ur money back
    This. They sound so shady I wouldn't put it past them that they gave the 64GB part in someone elses iPod, and are now trying to fob you off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement