Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Most Extravagant Purchase?

Options
  • 06-09-2012 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

So what's been yours? What item of PC hardware (or indeed software) has been your most extravagant buy? Monster dual GPU? Expensive custom water-cooling? Basically, where have you pushed the boat out when cheaper purchases would have done the job just as well?

Please note, this is not a willy-waving thread! Essentially, I'm just trying to make myself feel better for desperately wanting a Silverstone Fortress FT02 :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It is e-penis thread and there is nothing wrong in it! ;)

Well, I guess my one is gtx 680, when it was less then month after release. Costed me around 540eu with delivery. Still love it though. I wanted at least once in my life have a best gpu out there and I got it. No regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Most expensive single item would be the GTX 670, but that's not quite extravagent. Maybe my H100, it's so unneccessary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Mine was this beauty, for €850, back in the day.

Not exactly extravagant, so much as just... monstrous.

My most extravagant purchase was probably that second 580 I had for a while. Completely unnecessary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

probably the 42 inch lcd tv I bought to use as a monitor

it was... amazing although it made fitting the computer setup into a room awkward as ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

probably my gtx460 when it first launched. around £200 and I barely used it. sold it on for around €80 to my brother.

6990 is probably my most expensive, followed by my catleap, but the catleap is amazing and a 6990 is minimum requirements to run BF3 on ultra.

don't even want to think about how much money I've sank into water cooling gear so far, and it isn't even up and running yet. oh god the gentle typhoons. 6 of them. €80+ on fans alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The PC I built in early 2007 cost me over €4000.

I spent €995 on a QX6700, when it was just out, it was the only quad-core CPU at the time.

I spent €1278 on 2 8800 GTX, also brand new out, blew everything away at the time.

I spent €558 on 4GB DDR2 PC6400

In them days I had more money than sense.

edit: -

And here she is, this photo was take over a year and half after I built her.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56550911&postcount=33

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

sink wrote: »

I spent €995 on a QX6700, when it was just out, it was the only quad-core CPU at the time.

I spent €1278 on 2 8800 GTX, also brand new out, blew everything away at the time.

ding ding ding. we have a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yup. Can't remember what my first one came to (the QX9650 rig), never actually totted up the end cost, but I think it was around 3.5-4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    sink wrote: »

ding ding ding. we have a winner.

The craziest thing was I spent most of my time playing CS:S which would hav run well on a pc that cost a quarter that at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I just got a new build with a gtx 670 and a i3770k, 16gb and a 250gb ssd, its not particularly extravagant, but its the most i have (relatively) spent on a pc since the 90s. I spent 1600 on it, i guess its extravagant because i could spend 50% of the cost and get 70% of the perfotmance, but i use my pc every day so i guess its worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Most I have blown in one go was three of these @ €550 each, best monitors I have ever owned, and hopefully they'll keep me going until 7680x1440 @ 120hz and the GPU's to run same are a realistic option.:cool:

Ape-x, I might be selling a black FT02 in a few months if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Mine is getting 2 x 7970`s...I bought one new and one 2nd hand off a mate..

The 2nd hand one just sh!t itself last night:mad:::mad: im not a happy man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

glynf wrote: »
    Most I have blown in one go was three of these @ €550 each, best monitors I have ever owned, and hopefully they'll keep me going until 7680x1440 @ 120hz and the GPU's to run same are a realistic option.:cool:

Ape-x, I might be selling a black FT02 in a few months if you are interested.
    I was really after a silver one glynf, but sure stick it in the "Selling Personal PC Gear?" thread when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

dwighet wrote: »
    Mine is getting 2 x 7970`s...I bought one new and one 2nd hand off a mate..
    The 2nd hand one just sh!t itself last night:mad:::mad: im not a happy man

Thats a sickener. At least the warranty covers them.

@Ape x, will post here when I flog it, silver one is nicer though. either way fantastic case. I'm only changing as it would be a bit small for 3 gpu's and watercooling and lm defo sticking with silverstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 petegavin

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga

back when i was raiding in wow :/ also was great for pvp it comes with a good driver to so you can middle mouse click for alternative keybinds instead of pressing shift

Advertisement