Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Connection - Muff, Donegal....

Options
  • 06-09-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Can someone pppplllleeeeaassseeehelp me before I pull my hair out.

I have recently moved to Aught, in Muff, Donegal. The crowd I am waiting on installing my broadband have been a nightmare and keep fobbing me off with different installation dates. The problem is that I work from home and I need access to the internet, all day, every day. At the moment, I've had to travel down to Derry to use a family members internet so I can get on with my work.

What the installation crowd are now telling me is that our home line will handle a maximum of 1 and a half mb - what I need to know is, is this going to be absolutely useless for working with? I contacted a company in Derry who offer Satellite connection, but they have a 3 month waiting list. :mad:

If anyone knows anything or has any advice regarding broadband speeds in this area, it would be a great help.

Also, cannot get a signal for love nor money with my vodafone mobile - would o2 generally be the best reception in that area? Hope someone can help......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

What the installation crowd are now telling me is that our home line will handle a maximum of 1 and a half mb - what I need to know is, is this going to be absolutely useless for working with?

what is it you do? can't really say if it would work for what you need if we don't know what you need!

Have you a phoneline in the house?

Is it just BB you need?

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/broadband/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Im with Eircom and live close to the border, I have a landline and I am 2.5 miles from our exchange and I can get 3MB. Where we are may be considered to be kind of remote, but we can still get decent BB. A friend can pick up a clear wireless 3G signal from our house on his iphone. I would go to a few different ISPs and ask them for a weeks free trial. They should provide you with the necessary equipment to get connected before you commit to any of them. Try Vodaphone, the Northern Ireland bb network ring was taken as far as Bridgend 12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would go to a few different ISPs and ask them for a weeks free trial. They should provide you with the necessary equipment to get connected before you commit to any of them.
    Im open to correction but there is a 14 day cooling off period with every ISP

yeah there is a cooling off period but not 100% sure of the time period. its enough tiome to run a few speed tests for a few days anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sounds like you need a landline. I had the wireless service you mention and tbf its decent enough. Was always a decent signal.

I would be wary about relying on mobile broadband, cos its midband not broadband. Plus it is notoriously erratic in terms of providing a strong, continuous signal, which you need.

did you ask a neighbour what they do for broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

Can certainly copy that midband is highly erratic here in Quigley's Point. I use O2 midband but am not up often enough to justify a landline BB connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

muffler wrote: »
    Im open to correction but there is a 14 day cooling off period with every ISP

14 day cooling off period right enough,ok to test speed etc, however if your bill is bigger than promised (after 30 days) then there's nothing you can do about it, you've signed the contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kinbay3

Northwest electronics in derry cover donegal and have 10 mb speed in places where there is no mobile or landline

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rosielocks

I'd totally agree with the others about getting a landline - we used to have mobile internet, and now we've proper broadband I can't believe how we put up with it for so long! We had to pay an installation fee, but after that our weekly bills worked out at around a tenner more each month. That includes a phone, which we rarely use, but considering mobile coverage on most networks can be dodgy in east Inishowen you might actually need it. (The phone companies say the poor signal is to do with the lay of the land, but from what I can tell it seems more to do with the confusing UK signals from across the border. I live in the Buncrana area, so it doesn't really effect me, I'm just basing that on chatting with friends.)

Anyway, as for which company, we're with Eircom because it just seemed the quicket and handiest at the time, but I heard recently O2 have a good phone/broadband package going. I remember when we were first moved in we contacted a cerain local company, which I don't want to name, and we had the same experience as you're describing - they were taking so long getting around to it we just gave up waiting and went with Eircom. Then, after we'd been in the house for about a year and hadn't heard anything back from them in that whole time, we got a phone call out of the blue telling us they were ready to install our broadband now! I really don't see why there should be such a delay. In this day and age they should be grateful of the custom, and if they're messing you about just take your business elsewhere. I'd rather keep my business as local as possible, but I wouldn't wait a year to do so!

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

kinbay3 wrote: »
    Northwest electronics in derry cover donegal and have 10 mb speed in places where there is no mobile or landline
    Their waiting lists are up to three months unfortunately. I found their website and general customer service to be appalling, too. Got the sense they didn't really want another customer anytime I got in touch. A pity because it sounds like a good service on the face of it.

OP -- unfortunately, all these land-line providers are using the same physical lines so they can't compete on speeds. If it's true that your line can only handle 1.5mb, then that's all you'll get regardless of provider or package you signup too (Vodafone, O2, Eircom, etc.)

I was told here in Buncrana that speeds might be a problem but I'm getting near enough the 8mb as advertised. If I were you I'd try and get on the waiting list with NWE and get a 3mb package from one of the landline providers in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Im getting over 10 mbits on an 8 megabit connection in Buncrana , but dont tell anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Taquilasunrise

One of our family friend is using satellite bb with 8mb downkoad / 2 mb upload with http://www.onwave.ie/ around Muff area.
    Give them a call and best luck.

One of our family friend is using satellite bb with 8mb downkoad / 2 mb upload with http://www.onwave.ie/ around Muff area.
    Give them a call and best luck.

Sweet Jesus that's a low cap

Advertisement