Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camper electrics

• 06-09-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys, ive hooked up a van for my friend off the main,so,socket outside,into fuse box,then too 4 double plug sockets in van..

Now,where im lost and confused,is the 12volt system,he has loads of stuff here for it,but im like :confused:.if i give you a list of what he has and what he wants it for,could someone tell me what else he may need and brief on what too do.i figure the wiring in van will be simple enough but as far as too battery,chargin etc no clue

He has 2x 100 watt solar panels for roof.
    2x solar charging controllers
    6x Leisure Batterys (12volt 110AH)
    jumper cables for batterys
    4 led spot lights (6watts)
    12volt mini tv
    12volt sat box (prob pain in ass too tune in as be in new location)

He basicly will be living in this and wants too run xbox and laptop in it.We have built in the kitchen and that for him and i told him for tea he better boiling the water(would i be right).

If this any help,he wants too charge the batterys while on move and solar too keep it topped up.

Would he be pushing the electric set up at this rate or if possable how far can we push this up for him.

Ive fitted new shocks and springs too deal with weight issue for this "HOME" of his.
    and all electic set up is in very rear,under the raised bed and i have put vent in the side of the van for the batterys.

also,if some one can give me advice on shower/toliet issue.we have fought over this part.cant get a full all in one unit by anychance.

Sorry for all questions but im a novice too this and trying too help a friend out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Hi guys, ive hooked up a van for my friend off the main,so,socket outside,into fuse box,then too 4 double plug sockets in van..

Now,where im lost and confused,is the 12volt system,he has loads of stuff here for it,but im like :confused:.if i give you a list of what he has and what he wants it for,could someone tell me what else he may need and brief on what too do.i figure the wiring in van will be simple enough but as far as too battery,chargin etc no clue

He has 2x 100 watt solar panels for roof.
    2x solar charging controllers
    6x Leisure Batterys (12volt 110AH)
    jumper cables for batterys
    4 led spot lights (6watts)
    12volt mini tv
    12volt sat box (prob pain in ass too tune in as be in new location)

He basicly will be living in this and wants too run xbox and laptop in it.We have built in the kitchen and that for him and i told him for tea he better boiling the water(would i be right).

If this any help,he wants too charge the batterys while on move and solar too keep it topped up.

Would he be pushing the electric set up at this rate or if possable how far can we push this up for him.

Ive fitted new shocks and springs too deal with weight issue for this "HOME" of his.
    and all electic set up is in very rear,under the raised bed and i have put vent in the side of the van for the batterys.

also,if some one can give me advice on shower/toliet issue.we have fought over this part.cant get a full all in one unit by anychance.

Sorry for all questions but im a novice too this and trying too help a friend out

Seriously, Contact an auto electrician to complete this. If you need to ask these kind of questions then you should not be going near it. I appreciate you're trying to help a friend, but electricity is a dangerous thing to be interfering with if you don't know what you're doing

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭now radio soldier

okay,went too an auto electrican after i wired her up,i put all sockets in,12volt ones,theres 7 in total,and i put extra household ones in on the mains hook up,i then basicly put batterys and all in van,and said too him here u go.
    he said all my work was grand and double checked all wiring,he hooked up the zig units for me,then wired the two solar panel i mounted too roof into a control unit then too batterys.then from van too the batterys.

He checked the household electrics for me too and was impressed that i did it.

Only flaw he said too me which he sorted,he fused every 12volt socket independant too the zig unit as he says safety first.

Only thing he wasnt sure of,was weather i can get a all in one shower unit in ireland for the van,he said he seen ones were u slot in with couple of mods but not so sure,do you guys have an answer for this?

Id like too thank both of the above people for the advice as i could have seriously made a huge mistake in this build,at present my friend is living in this now even though its not complete as yet.

Thanks again

Advertisement