Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying meat in UK, bringing it back to Ireland

• 06-09-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm going for a job interview in Northern England soon, so I was hoping to buy some authentic Cumberland Sausage and bring it back with me.

Is it against custom laws to bring meat products from the UK into Ireland? Or is it legal, but I have to follow certain procedures?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have brought meat products from the Uk to Ireland (haggis for my mother). I have never had any problems doing so. I just pop them in my hand luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Do you think Sainsbury's and Dunnes in Newry don't sell meat to people cross border shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

Do you think Sainsbury's and Dunnes in Newry don't sell meat to people cross border shopping?
    Obviously, but I was more thinking of what might happen at the airport.

I just wanted to make sure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

It would appear that you are fine......

taken from here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

Only products which have been produced in accordance with EU rules may be imported for personal consumption. As a guideline, quantities should not exceed 10 kg. Generally, the products are on sale to the public in the EU country of origin, are appropriately packaged and have an identifying EU health mark. An EU health mark is an oval stamp with:

The country code on the upper part, for example, UK
    An approval number in the centre
    The initials EC (European Commission indication) on the lower part.

It would appear that you are fine......

taken from here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

Only products which have been produced in accordance with EU rules may be imported for personal consumption. As a guideline, quantities should not exceed 10 kg. Generally, the products are on sale to the public in the EU country of origin, are appropriately packaged and have an identifying EU health mark. An EU health mark is an oval stamp with:

The country code on the upper part, for example, UK
    An approval number in the centre
    The initials EC (European Commission indication) on the lower part.
    So I should just make sure whatever I buy has a health label? Shouldn't be too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There were restrictions when there was the foot and mouth problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

The only issue may be if you carry in your carry on luggage, but free movement of goods will cover you on the general right to carry foodstuffs across any internal border. Of course if certain products are banned in one state that will change that (example real abstinent), also if there is a quarantine in place due to say foot and mouth then that would change things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

There's no problem OP. I take Clonakilty sausages and puddings over to the UK and bring foodstuffs back. If it's paste or liquids I pack in bag. Anything dried I put in the hand luggage, and have the receipts to hand to prove purchase in the UK.

In any case - if you go through Cork Airport, there's a whole fridge full of perishables for purchase!

I wouldn't worry about it.

The only issue may be if you carry in your carry on luggage, but free movement of goods will cover you on the general right to carry foodstuffs across any internal border. Of course if certain products are banned in one state that will change that (example real abstinent), also if there is a quarantine in place due to say foot and mouth then that would change things.
    I would be planning on bringing it in carry on luggage. Is there any way around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Looks as though your post crossed with mine! See above.

• Advertisement

I would be planning on bringing it in carry on luggage. Is there any way around this?

I'm not saying there would be a problem, I am saying that security may have a problem, I doubt it but I can hardly keep up with what I can and cant carry on a flight these days. Best to check, also check if the duty free sell the product you want, sorts out that possible problem. I notice more and more duty frees selling local food stuffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

I know this isn't a legal issue but cumberland sausages are not cured, just raw pork. You would be risking a dose of food poisoning unless you had a way of keeping them below 5 degrees C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm not saying there would be a problem, I am saying that security may have a problem, I doubt it but I can hardly keep up with what I can and cant carry on a flight these days. Best to check, also check if the duty free sell the product you want, sorts out that possible problem. I notice more and more duty frees selling local food stuffs.

There's absolutely no problem carrying sausages in your carry-on bag, they're not exactly a liquid are they?

There's absolutely no problem carrying sausages in your carry-on bag, they're not exactly a liquid are they?

As I said I did not think there would be a problem, but considering the way the rules change might be best to check. I was just being careful.

Advertisement