Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB bank charges in canada

Options
  • 06-09-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Can anyone explain to me how much you get charged for using an AIB debit card in Canada? and whats the maximum you can take out?

Thanks,
    Dave.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im with Ulster Bank myself but there all around the same, there very expensive to take out money from atm's its like 3% plus then a foreign exchange fee.
    Best bet is to convert some money before you go and then open a bank account over there and transfer over the internet from you Irish to Canada account, thats what im doing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

Yea, we're gonna bring some cash. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

What the Mizerly one said is what I'll be doing. Easiest way tbh. :D

another one, Getting a bank account. do you need an permanent address and bill in your name? doesnt this mean that you wont be able to get a bank account for a couple months??

another one, Getting a bank account. do you need an permanent address and bill in your name? doesnt this mean that you wont be able to get a bank account for a couple months??

Good question - the dos and don'ts for getting a back ac would be handy if anyone could post them here. Such as the need for a permanent address as mentioned. The need for a bill in your name as mentioned. The need for a social security/pps/whatever the hell it is called number! The need to put x amount in newly opened acc!!! etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Went in to CIBC with my passport, work permit and the address of the apartment I was staying in. Walked out with Visa Debit card and account 10 minutes later. No nonsense. Didn't need proof of Canadian address.

I used my AIB card quite a bit and it was cheap enough -then again I have a student account so that might make a difference. I was paying €1.50 per $300 withdrawn roughly.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Went in to CIBC with my passport, work permit and the address of the apartment I was staying in. Walked out with Visa Debit card and account 10 minutes later. No nonsense. Didn't need proof of Canadian address.

I used my AIB card quite a bit and it was cheap enough -then again I have a student account so that might make a difference. I was paying €1.50 per $300 withdrawn roughly.

You were staying in an Apt tho. Would it be different in a hostel or such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

hdowney wrote: »
    You were staying in an Apt tho. Would it be different in a hostel or such?

Doubt it. I would just give them the hostel address and not mention it's a hostel . I got the Visa debit card on the spot and never got anything posted to me.

Doubt it. I would just give them the hostel address and not mention it's a hostel . I got the Visa debit card on the spot and never got anything posted to me.

Hoping to find an apt asap after moving, so if it is just a case of a week or two I'll hold out til in the apt yakno, but otherwise yea I'll give that a shot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

No its not like Ireland to open a bank account, i opened a bank account when i went over in 2006 and i was staying in a hostel.
    All you need is passport work visa and the account will be opened in 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

Brilliant news, thanks for that.

Advertisement