Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP

• 06-09-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

All,

Could really do with some advice. Situation is as follows:

My wife of 8 years and I split 4 years ago. She left our family home leaving me to pay rent, a mortgage on a house we were about to start b (which is in both names) a car loan, credit card loan on the house we were building and a personal loan on the house we were building. Four years later she is now contacting me saying she wants me to sell the house and give her half the money. I am in a new relationship and have a child. We all live in the house. What if anything can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Get a solicitor and fast! This might get messy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Get a solicitor and get in first to apply for Divorce ye have the 4 years done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jamie2

Thanks. Problem is I cannot afford one. She quit her job and is getting legal aid. I am just over the legal aid threshold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

jamie2 wrote: »
    Thanks. Problem is I cannot afford one. She quit her job and is getting legal aid. I am just over the legal aid threshold.

i know a person with a fair number of children, separated, on SW and a few hours declared to SW working. That person agreed with solicitor to pay a small amount per week, (she was entitled to get legal aid but wanted to use a particular solicitor) when matter was finished she got a refund as she had paid more than the final bill.

If you cant afford to protect you future interest, it may be a false economy. FLAC maybe able to give you some advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I sympathise but starting a new family without getting this sorted out was a tad irresponsible. Get on to you local solicitors and find one that will be willing to come up with some sort of payment plan. Use FLAC as a starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

jamie2 wrote: »

Private solicitors are often cheaper than legal aid ones. If the house has significant positive equity it is worthwhile protecting your interests. You can do this yourself by Reading up on law and practice, or you can pay someone else to do that for you. But it's not going to go away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I sympathise but starting a new family without getting this sorted out was a tad irresponsible.

I seriously hope, when you qualify, you don't give your clients lectures on personal responsibility, etc.

Life is messy - if it wasn't, there would be no need for solicitors in the first place.

The last thing someone in trouble needs to hear is, tsk, tsk, tsk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

krd wrote: »
    I seriously hope, when you qualify, you don't give your clients lectures on personal responsibility, etc.

Life is messy - if it wasn't, there would be no need for solicitors in the first place.

The last thing someone in trouble needs to hear is, tsk, tsk, tsk.

Nope this is free advice. Perhaps if more heeded it there would be less call for those who charge for theirs. The point I was trying to make just to underscore it is the OP has already left this too late - leaving it any longer is the worst thing he can do.

Life generally gets messy when people act irresponsibly - granted it's not always the irresponsible party that suffers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement