Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router dropping out - download speeds way down

Options
  • 06-09-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hoping you can help. Recently my router keeps dropping out randomly, needs to be turned on/off frequently.

Plus my download speeds have dropped in the last week from roughly 5.50 Mbps to 1.38 Mbps.

Is there anything I can do, or is it a fault with the line?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

how do you mean its dropping out, are you loosing sync (dsl light flashing)? or does the connection to the modem from your computer just drop out?

if its loosing sync there could be a problem on the line.

if its loosing connection to the modem and its a zyxel, it just might need a firmware update.

the only way to know about either of those options is to call tech support.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Its a netopia router.

It drops as in the Internet light on the router goes red and has to be reset.

Carried out a speedtest.net on it last week with download speeds of circa 5.50 Mbps, down to 1.38 Mbps this week.

Not sure if they are both connected.

Also, when I go to check for any Netopia software updates on http://192.168.1.254 I am brought to an advertisement page for Motorola:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

motorola own netopia, so they are basically motorola modems with either eircom or netopia on the top.

like i said previously the guys in tech support would be able to help you better and see the status of your line to see whats causing the drops, if you are going to ring up call from your mobile (1901 opt.4 freephone number) so they can run a line test while you are on the phone to see if there is a fault on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Strangely enough I am having very similar problems. Firstly I should say the eircom support have been very helpful but from a point where I thought the problem was solved, it re-occurred today. Normally 5mb has either dropped completely sporadically or to about 310k. It's depressing not to be able to identify the problem at this stage. Eircom had supplied a new zyxel router without success, and sent out an engineer as well.

• Advertisement

Mumha wrote: »
    Strangely enough I am having very similar problems. Firstly I should say the eircom support have been very helpful but from a point where I thought the problem was solved, it re-occurred today. Normally 5mb has either dropped completely sporadically or to about 310k. It's depressing not to be able to identify the problem at this stage. Eircom had supplied a new zyxel router without success, and sent out an engineer as well.

Long shot here Mumha, but are you in the D13 area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Plascebo wrote: »
    Hi,

Hoping you can help. Recently my router keeps dropping out randomly, needs to be turned on/off frequently.

Plus my download speeds have dropped in the last week from roughly 5.50 Mbps to 1.38 Mbps.

Is there anything I can do, or is it a fault with the line?

Thanks.

Hi Plascebo,

With a speed drop that dramatic occurring there should definitely be something we can do to improve it. Some good suggestions posted here already (many thanks folks) but if you'd like to PM me your landline number I'll run some tests from our end to see when the drops are occurring and also the modem firmware version. Will also test the actual phoneline for faults. Send on the info and I'll get back to you.

Regards

James

Hi Plascebo,

With a speed drop that dramatic occurring there should definitely be something we can do to improve it. Some good suggestions posted here already (many thanks folks) but if you'd like to PM me your landline number I'll run some tests from our end to see when the drops are occurring and also the modem firmware version. Will also test the actual phoneline for faults. Send on the info and I'll get back to you.

Regards

James

Thanks James, much appreciated.

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Thanks James, much appreciated.

PM sent.

Hi again,

Thanks for the PM, have been able to look into this a bit further. There are no outages reported in the area but from testing the line directly there seems to be a minor fault. This would explain the sudden drop in broadband speed. Not sure if you logged this fault yourself but it went in at 10.42am with notes stating "LINE NOISY, CRACKLING". We have 2 mobile contact numbers logged for the engineers and for your own records, the reference number for the fault is 11448595. These are normally resolved within 2-4 working days. Once the engineer has sorted the issue out, the speed should return to normal but if not, or if there are any delays, get back to us here and we'll chase it for you.

Regards

James

Hi again,

Thanks for the PM, have been able to look into this a bit further. There are no outages reported in the area but from testing the line directly there seems to be a minor fault. This would explain the sudden drop in broadband speed. Not sure if you logged this fault yourself but it went in at 10.42am with notes stating "LINE NOISY, CRACKLING". We have 2 mobile contact numbers logged for the engineers and for your own records, the reference number for the fault is 11448595. These are normally resolved within 2-4 working days. Once the engineer has sorted the issue out, the speed should return to normal but if not, or if there are any delays, get back to us here and we'll chase it for you.

Regards

James

Thank you James, you are a gentleman.

• Advertisement

Hi James, I know it is the weekend, but just wondering if there is any update because I am now down to speeds of 0.11 Mbps?

Also had a phone call from an Eircom representative (very nice lady) on Friday who informed that there was no issue with the line.

Hi again,

Regards

James

Hi again James,

Just wondering if there is any update on the issue with the minor fault you noticed with the line, as still getting low speeds (I think I was upgraded to the 8mb package, am currently getting anything from 0.17 Mbps to 2.53 Mbps, nowhere near the 8mb).

Thanks

Hi Linda,

I have sent you a pm.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

Hi Linda,

I have sent you a pm.

Cheers.