Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaining about a teacher

Options
  • 06-09-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

My son is in JC year and goes to a great school apart from 1 teacher. Maths. he loved maths untill he got this teacher but now hates it. His grade last year went from A's all along to failing :eek: Last year i requested a meeting with this teacher many times but told she was busy. Requested she phone me many times and never phoned.
    Now new year and its got worse. My son has said that loads of the kids are failling and parents are not happy. Every single day i've recieved a note home re a book she knows I cant get. He got a note home over putting his pencil case in his bag :confused: this is the only teacher i've ever received a note home from.
    She wont meet with me wont return my calls.... I've now asked other parents to come with me to the school to discuss the issues we are having. As of today there are 8 parents who what to meet with her. Will this come across as ganging up on her? Will the pupils suffer? really not sure if going down to the school like this is a good idea. It is a brillant school and the kids seem to love it (mine adores it) really nervous about rocking the boat but dont know what else to do. HELP :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

its important to meet the teachers not just to defend your child but to also see whats really going on in the school. sometimes the kid doesnt always tell the whole truth and sometimes the teacher doesnt either. if theres 8 complaints then something must be wrong. Teachers, like any other people in the world can be good bad or just plain ugly. if theres a parent teacher meeting soon, wait untill that. if there is no meeting, then go to the school and talk to the principle. you have every right to do so, but try not to come off as offensive, be calm and find a middle ground. if you act to aggressively school staff tend to gang up and work together against you...

disclaimer: all in my opinion not fact :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Have you spoken to the principle ? This teacher needs to be reported if so many parents are having a problem with her. She is obliged to meet with you if you have concerns over your son.
    Go to the school and insist on speaking with the principle and this teacher phone in advance and make an appointment if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Have you spoken to the principle ? This teacher needs to be reported if so many parents are having a problem with her. She is obliged to meet with you if you have concerns over your son.
    Go to the school and insist on speaking with the principle and this teacher phone in advance and make an appointment if possible.

We have done this but to enter into any form of complaint you have to meet with the teacher first. Ive said she wont return my calls or request, so the messages have been passed on (heard this before)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭flatbackfour

Justask wrote: »
    My son is in JC year and goes to a great school apart from 1 teacher. Maths. he loved maths untill he got this teacher but now hates it. His grade last year went from A's all along to failing :eek: Last year

Are his grades down in other subjects
    i requested a meeting with this teacher many times but told she was busy.
    Requested she phone me many times and never phoned.
    Who did you go through to ask for this meeting?

Now new year and its got worse. My son has said that loads of the kids are failling and parents are not happy.
    I would stick to how your son is getting on with the teacher etc and not be concerned about what your son says about others
    Every single day i've recieved a note home re a book she knows I cant get.
    Why not? Is it on the book list? PM me if you like I am a maths teacher I can show you where to get the book.
    He got a note home over putting his pencil case in his bag :confused: this is the only teacher i've ever received a note home from.
    Maybe he was packing up before being asked. He was only putting his pencil case in his bag. But this can be very disruptive if he does it before being asked to pack up or if he throws it in his bag in an aggressive way.
    She wont meet with me wont return my calls.... I've now asked other parents to come with me to the school to discuss the issues we are having.
    Have you spoken to the principal before you round up the lynch mob?
    As of today there are 8 parents who what to meet with her. Will this come across as ganging up on her?
    Yes
    Will the pupils suffer? really not sure if going down to the school like this is a good idea.
    Its not its a very bad idea, a quiet word with the principal is your best bet

shane9689 wrote: »
    its important to meet the teachers not just to defend your child but to also see whats really going on in the school. sometimes the kid doesnt always tell the whole truth and sometimes the teacher doesnt either. if theres 8 complaints then something must be wrong. Teachers, like any other people in the world can be good bad or just plain ugly. if theres a parent teacher meeting soon, wait untill that. if there is no meeting, then go to the school and talk to the principle. you have every right to do so, but try not to come off as offensive, be calm and find a middle ground. if you act to aggressively school staff tend to gang up and work together against you...

disclaimer: all in my opinion not fact :P

All the teachers in this school are great....and in no way would we want to come across as ganging up on her. Oh isnt parenthood great :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

We have done this but to enter into any form of complaint you have to meet with the teacher first. Ive said she wont return my calls or request, so the messages have been passed on (heard this before)

then screw talking with them arrive when you know your son has class (preferably if his class is just before break). wait untill 2 minutes before the class is over, and tell the principle you want to speak with her right away. theres no excuse then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Complain in writing to the principle?
    Sit in reception & tell them you've all day to wait for her and that you will wait as long as it takes?

She sounds like an old fashioned dinosaur who needs a dose of reality

Have you told the principal that she will not return your calls. if you have the principal will tell the teacher to contact you.

I am sure of this.

Stick to the correct procedure.

Are his grades down in other subjects

Who did you go through to ask for this meeting?

I would stick to how your son is getting on with the teacher etc and not be concerned about what your son says about others

Why not? Is it on the book list? PM me if you like I am a maths teacher I can show you where to get the book.

Maybe he was packing up before being asked. He was only putting his pencil case in his bag. But this can be very disruptive if he does it before being asked to pack up or if he throws it in his bag in an aggressive way.

Have you spoken to the principal before you round up the lynch mob?

Yes

Its not its a very bad idea, a quiet word with the principal is your best bet

All subject results are improving.
    Folens have told me the book is not in print anymore. Kids do lose books from time to time.
    Lynch mob?

Lynch mob?

In reality no. But if her disrespect for both you, your child & the other eight parents continues, it would certainly be called for as it's not as if she hasn't had the chance to sort it out like an adult.

I'd in no uncertain terms make a nuisance of myself & wait as long as it took in the reception office

• Advertisement

All subject results are improving.
    Folens have told me the book is not in print anymore. Kids do lose books from time to time.
    Lynch mob?

Why does your son not have the book?

What year is he in?

Why is he the only one not with the book?

You can get second hand books online.

Yes it sounds like you are trying to organise a lynch mob.

I have seen classes of students terrorist teachers gang up against them and make their lives an absolute misery, In both cases where this has happened the students were completely out of control and were manipulating the situation to make the teacher look as bad as they could.

They were out of control middle class kids and were very manipulative in destroying the reputation of the teachers in question.

And they had their parents rapped around their little fingers.

Oh the joy of parenthood

What year is he in?

I have seen classes of students terrorist teachers gang up against them and make their lives an absolute misery, In both cases where this has happened the students were completely out of control and were manipulating the situation to make the teacher look as bad as they could.

They were out of control middle class kids and were very manipulative in destroying the reputation of the teachers in question.

Oh the joy of parenthood

Why can't the teacher return a simple phone call?

What year is he in?

Oh the joy of parenthood

All answers to your question have been posted in OP.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Why can't the teacher return a simple phone call?

I don't know it sounds odd all right very odd.

If the OP rang the principal the principal would inform a the teacher and request them to contact the parent.

All answers to your question have been posted in OP.

You say he got a note for putting a pencil case in his bag? Really? is that what the note said? or was there something more?

Did the note actually say something else but he told you "i was only putting my pencil case in my bag and I got a note?

I don't know it sounds odd all right very odd.

If the OP rang the principal the principal would inform a the teacher and request them to contact the parent.

I agree, I'd start with the principal. If there's still no joy, maybe have the other parents sign something & present same to principal

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

I had an absolute awful maths teacher in secondary school from second year up until 6th year. Everyone finds him useless. The only thing that can be done to pass the subject was to study as hard as you could and get the maths reversion books. They were great and really helpful.
    Loads of people parents complained and it didn't help. The teacher thought maths to the best of his ability but most students couldn't understand him. Could your son possible change maths classes? Or is the problem just the fact he isn't capable of doing higher level maths? Maths is simple up until about 3rd year and that's when if begins to get difficult.
    Get him to practice loads of exam papers and see how he gets on!

I agree, I'd start with the principal. If there's still no joy, maybe have the other parents sign something & present same to principal

I would be concerned with my own son and leave it at that. I have seen these situations arising before and I can tell you on both occasions the students were completely out of control,

Parents have not got a clue what little johnny is like when he gets into class. it really is becoming staggering how blind a lot of them are.

I am not saying this is the case with the OPs situation of course.

But the OP should stick to dealing with her sons issues and let other parents do the same.

Its an approach that will get her what she wants if it really is a crap teacher.

The lynch mob approach will not.

You say he got a note for putting a pencil case in his bag? Really? is that what the note said? or was there something more?

Did the note actually say something else but he told you "i was only putting my pencil case in my bag and I got a note?

He lost his book. Where did I say he was the only one :confused:

The note said he distubed the class, but seeing as i cant talk to the teacher i've only my son word on what happened. :)

Hope you have a nice evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Unless you're in a grind school (and even often then) you're going to have one teacher who's terrible. Not incredibly hard to learn the subject yourself and go through it with your son. Failing that get him grinds. And try and get him to do it for an hour a day when he gets home from school.

• Advertisement

Yea i'll give it another shot in the morning, Thanks for the help :)

Unless you're in a grind school (and even often then) you're going to have one teacher who's terrible. Not incredibly hard to learn the subject yourself and go through it with your son. Failing that get him grinds. And try and get him to do it for an hour a day when he gets home from school.

Yea we are in the market for a grinds teacher

I would be concerned with my own son and leave it at that. I have seen these situations arising before and I can tell you on both occasions the students were completely out of control,

That may be the case, but the teacher should be returning phonecalls. It looks appaling that she isn't, & without knowing either side, it's hard to side with someone whos ignoring you

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If there are alot of you having issues with this teacher and the principal will not meet with you then go to the board of management as a group of concerned parents.

He lost his book. Where did I say he was the only one :confused:

The note said he distubed the class, but seeing as i cant talk to the teacher i've only my son word on what happened. :)

Hope you have a nice evening :)

So our son lost his book,

he is also disturbing the class,

that information was not in your original post.

You said initially he got a note for putting his pencil case in his bag. He actually did not.

He got a note for disturbing the class.

So he is spinning information to you that suits the excuse why he is failing

And he has other kids backing him up.

Other kids probably also running a muck and blaming it all on the teacher

Moonbeam wrote: »
    If there are alot of you having issues with this teacher and the principal will not meet with you then go to the board of management as a group of concerned parents.

Where you will be met by the secretary of the board of management as your first point of contact

(the principal)

You said initially he got a note for putting his pencil case in his bag. He actually did not.

He got a note for disturbing the class.

So he is spinning information to you that suits the excuse why he is failing

Other kids probably also running a muck and blaming it all on the teacher

Ah great thanks for letting me know this information ;) Seeing as I couldnt get through to his teacher I was going on what I was told by my son :) But at least I have a maths teacher giving me the correct information now;)

I think the OP has every right to want to discuss her sons behavior with the teacher, regardless of who is at fault. For all you know, the teacher might give the OP a different side to it & the OP will reassess the situation with her son.

The fact that she can't have a civil, adult conversation, due to the teacher ignoring any & all attempts, is not only extremely unprofessional, but seriously frustrating I would imagine.

If the teacher is doing her job correctly, she has no reason to avoid a meeting.

Extrapolate what you want from that, but those are the facts. One person wants to talk, the other clearly doesn't.

Ah great thanks for letting me know this information ;) Seeing as I couldnt get through to his teacher I was going on what I was told by my son :) But at least I have a maths teacher giving me the correct information now;)

Just trying to tease the issue out. Good luck with the lynch mob.

• Advertisement

I think the OP has every right to want to discuss her sons behavior with the teacher, regardless of who is at fault. For all you know, the teacher might give the OP a different side to it & the OP will reassess the situation with her son.

The fact that she can't have a civil, adult conversation, due to the teacher ignoring any & all attempts, is not only extremely unprofessional, but seriously frustrating I would imagine.

If the teacher is doing her job correctly, she has no reason to avoid a meeting.

Extrapolate what you want from that, but those are the facts. One person wants to talk, the other clearly doesn't.

All reasonable enough but I am wondering why the teacher in question refuses to talk with the OP.

I dont know

It seems odd to me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement