Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catching liars out

• 06-09-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

I've a friend who's boyfriend lies about the most stupid things. If you've been somewhere, he's been there but met a celebrity or had some adventure or other. He's been caught out with his tall tales several time. He exaggerates more than outright lies, but its painful to listen to him go on.

He got caught rightly last night though. He had this big one-upmanship story about a time her was on holidays and was caught out by someone else. Very satisfying.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

lazygal wrote: »
    Very satisfying.
    Not for us. You haven't given us any details.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Not for us - you haven't given us any details.

Lazy, one might say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Colleague of mine claimed that a new-ish female manager cracked on to him and wanted to sleep with him at the xmas party. Unfortunately for him, he was the only person in the entire office that didn't know she was a lesbian :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

I can't relate to the OP , I dont have a boyfriend who lies or a boyfriend at all for that matter

I do have a dog who robs food , he always looks guilty tho so catching him out isn't an achievement so it's not very satisfying , its more a feeling of anger / hunger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

some people do it automatically, I have seen it millions of times, and every time it is the exact same lie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Used to have a friend like that. He would suck the life out of you. You come in with something on your mind or a story and he turns around and says, sure that's nothing! And starts telling you some story you've heard before except this time it's even more exaggerated.
    He could go to the shops and come back and he'd turn crossing the road into some kind of outlandish conspiracy against him.
    I think it's a certain kind of stupidity some people have. A kind of tunnel vision for whatever rubbish they want to get across, even when they've been caught out, they just blag on with even more stupid stuff. The same guy would ruin every film or TV show. He would keep saying he just wants to tell you this one bit over and over and then as soon as he gets into it he's ruined the entire thing from beginning to end. Completely unrepentant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

OK, so you've told us about this guy but what's your take on it other than its satisfying to see him get caught out?

In your opinion, would you say he does it for attention or could he be a fantasist? Could it be that he is unhappy in with his own life some way and therefore creates these tales to compensate for that or is it that he feels a need to try to impress people so that he fits in and has something to say?

What's your theory?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

lazygal wrote: »
    I've a friend who's boyfriend lies ......

Yeah, well I have THREE friends who are like that. It seems you have just one.
    And they're much worse liars than what you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I've a few friends who do it. Sometimes I'll humour them and ask pointed questions so they dig their own graves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yeah, well I have THREE friends who are like that. It seems you have just one.
    And they're much worse liars than what you describe.

Pfff.. three? Lucky you.

I have eight friends like that and they're celebrities too the lying bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

use to have a mate like that, a full of **** fantacist :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Pfff.. three? Lucky you.

I have eight friends like that and they're celebrities too the lying bastards.

8 pffft I have 31 friends like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I think you should ride him till he starts to tell the truth. That'll teach him!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

TheBody wrote: »
    I think you should ride him till he starts to tell the truth. That'll teach him!!!

How do you think I finally caught him out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Thinly-veiled "I have a friend" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I can't understand liars.

Do they think the person they're lying too is stupid? :confused:
    Do they hide behind the "how do they know its not true" mentality :confused:

Probably neither. Just dont care and get some weird enjoyment out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Colleague of mine claimed that a new-ish female manager cracked on to him and wanted to sleep with him at the xmas party. Unfortunately for him, he was the only person in the entire office that didn't know she was a lesbian :pac:

maybe she was trying to get back on solids then changed her mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This one time Tom Cruise was telling me that he read a thread like this about liars. I knew he hadn't though. What a fuppin' liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Jay from the inbetweeners anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

cloud493 wrote: »

Yeah, good mate of mine so he is. What about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

cloud493 wrote: »

He's not all he's cracked up to be. Lately, he was telling me he was on this successful Channel 4 comdey. Comes out with unbelievable stuff, he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Red Hand wrote: »
    He's not all he's cracked up to be. Lately, he was telling me he was on this successful Channel 4 comdey. Comes out with unbelievable stuff, he does.

Made a film out of it and all apparently, full of **** that eject :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Probably some kind of insecurity/inferiority complex and a need to control.

I saw many such cases during my time in Miami as a police psychologist / hostage negotiator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

That's nothing. It was me who turned dogs and cats against each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I suppose, he will go into politics and finally end up as a government minister ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Compulsive lying syndrome's proper name is the best name ever: Pseudologia Fantastica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

IM0 wrote: »
    8 pffft I have 31 friends like this

Facebook friends don't count:pac:

Tell the truth, how many have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

My brother is a woeful bas***d for telling lies. He would stuff you with stories about the stupidest things.

We all know what he's like and give him a fierce time over it but it makes no difference he keeps at it, definitely a compulsive liar if I ever knew one.

Even when we were kids in primary school, we were in the same classroom but different classes. He'd start telling one of his stories, there the muinteoir would be looking at me as if to say 'get this guy checked out'

• Advertisement
Advertisement