Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics Help....

• 06-09-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi.
    I'm taking up economics this year as an extra subject. (in 4th year btw) and I was just wondering what books do you reckon are the best for self teaching. A friend recently told me that his book for economics was a whole load of **** unrelated to the actual exam in many ways...

Just wondering what books I should buy..

Thanks a million :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

''Postive Economics'' is worth the investment as it focuses on the exam and is very neat with simple definitions. http://www.edcodigital.ie/index.php?id=376

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    ''Postive Economics'' is worth the investment as it focuses on the exam and is very neat with simple definitions. http://www.edcodigital.ie/index.php?id=376

Yes, this is by far the best book for Economics.

You should also download lots of past papers and marking schemes from www.examinations.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Tbh all economics text books are crap. There all 100% unrelated to the exam. Any book whichever would do. They just help to get your head around the understanding of the economy. Once you understand how the economy works leave the books aside and work of the exam papers and marking schemes. You will need to have done all Micro, International Trade, National Income, Taxation and Govt Budgeting Qs several time. The Key is Repetition and Learning the answers word by word. This will get You an A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Tbh all economics text books are crap. There all 100% unrelated to the exam. Any book whichever would do. They just help to get your head around the understanding of the economy. Once you understand how the economy works leave the books aside and work of the exam papers and marking schemes. You will need to have done all Micro, International Trade, National Income, Taxation and Govt Budgeting Qs several time. The Key is Repetition and Learning the answers word by word. This will get You an A1

Have you seen Positive Economics? It is a brand new book only published last April. It is VERY exam-orientated and blows the others out of the water.

I do agree (as I said above) that the exam papers and marking schemes are essential though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ElusiveDon

Thanks v.much guys.. I really appreciate it. Just one more thing, another person I quizzed on this topic recently told me that Rapid Revision Economics was all that I'd need (along with exam papers etc). This seems absurd to me, considering it's merely a revision book. Was this guy just having a laugh or what?

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

ElusiveDon wrote: »
    Thanks v.much guys.. I really appreciate it. Just one more thing, another person I quizzed on this topic recently told me that Rapid Revision Economics was all that I'd need (along with exam papers etc). This seems absurd to me, considering it's merely a revision book. Was this guy just having a laugh or what?

Thanks again!

Last year my class didnt use any sort of a text or revision book. Our teacher just talked us through the topics and then talked us through exam qs but since you dont have a teacher id say to get some sort of a book just to make sure you understand the topics. As for rapid revision my teacher swears against it. One of the students despite what the teacher said learned everything from this book and ended up with a D1 while the rest of the class got high Bs and As

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

the rapid revision is outdated 2007 i think, bit of a waste of money, so if you get positive economics i'm sure it will do.

Advertisement