Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare annual grant down to €300

Options
  • 06-09-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

I think this could be down €200 from last year. I was my LSWO office today just enquiring about going back on BTEA once college resumes and the lady mentioned a figure of €300.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I heard that alright, but to be honest I cant see the problem BETA provides you with a massive boost in that it provides you with finical security over 4 years, and aside from that if you multiply it out its comes to a large total figure. I think handing out 500euro on top of this at the start of every year is completely unnecessary. Of all the people I know attending college, myself included nobody buys books anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

where do u get the books if u dont buy them ?? apologies for the silly question. im just after starting in college and im just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

john 08 wrote: »
    where do u get the books if u dont buy them ?? apologies for the silly question. im just after starting in college and im just wondering.

From the libary or just use the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I think this could be down €200 from last year. I was my LSWO office today just enquiring about going back on BTEA once college resumes and the lady mentioned a figure of €300.

It was €500 but dropped to €300. I bought books last year but I didn't hit the €500 mark, but I wasn't buying any of the extra suggestions. Electronic editions can be cheaper, but trying to find a reference in a hurry can be a problem if your on a kindle/ereader etc.
    Older editions bought on ebay will be cheaper, but used books can have other peoples notations that may not be useful or beneficial to you.

Also the books can be very dependant on subject. Eg, law books, which may be outdated or lack new legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I had to buy about 7 Chinese books last year that cost about €150 along with additional material that aided my learning so total spending on books was about €250. As one poster said, it depends entirely on the course. Stationary is probably about €50 for the year if your careful (Aldi and Lodl sorted me and photocopying/printing was about €30 for year).

I'm not complaining as such about the cut, just making it known but it all helps so the €200 cut will be noticed by me at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Try doing a Fine Art course, every cent of the money get at the start of year buys my supplies for the year, sheet of copper (A3), paper to draw on, paper to print on (€3-6 each!) if you do a print for assesments you are required to hand up a min of 8 prints per plate (4 proofs and 4 final prints), paint.. oil/watercolours/acrylic/pastels - water colour paper, sketch pads, some canvas, wood (MDF sheets) safety equipment, this year we are going to be doing welding I am dreading the cost of metal !!!

/rant !

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

john 08 wrote: »

Photocopy them from the library

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement