Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

world 24 hr championships 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Yiannis Kouros was running too - He was on 227k at 23hrs
    Mami Kudo was there for a while too!
    Not bad company to be in...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Magnet wrote: »
    229 final tally :D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's an incredible performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

menoscemo wrote: »
    Brilliant. That's a massive PB for him. he was obviously determined not to get chicked :p

Final Result:
    European Championship Womens...
    5th place Ruthanne Sheahan 229.3 km..... 7th in World !!!!!
    Deirdre Finn 103km 73rd place

European Mens:
    25th place John O Regan...229.6 km 31st in World!!!
    33rd place Eddie Gallen.....226 km 42nd in World

Didnt get chicked - but cut it fine ;)

Haven't we got some incredible runners in this little country. Wish they could get the razzmatazz that the Olympians get, to honour their outstanding achievements,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

Wow wow wow!!!!

I think that's PBs for Eddie and John. Superb runs.

And as for Ruthanne... well that just incredible. PB, new national record, best Irish female finish in the 24 hour world champs ever. Fantastic.

Wish I could have been there to see all that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How come we didn't send full teams? Did we try to send full teams and didn't have people available? Any idea Enduro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

UTMB was last weekend, taking 3 potential runners out straight away.

As for the performances of those in attendance, superb. Delighted for all involved.

How come we didn't send full teams? Did we try to send full teams and didn't have people available? Any idea Enduro?

Yup. Availability of suitably qualified athletes who were available for selection was the issue with getting more to join Eddie, John, Dee and Ruthanne. There were a few reasons for that.

Just curious... there seemed to be a lot of runners not of international competition standard. Without sounding in any way derogatory... Is there a back of pack filler option which enables people to take part , even though they would not have any aspirations for anything more than achieving their own PB?

I would have loved to be there to see our official team perform out of their skins.
    Is it just a case of apply for individuals?

Breakfast with Hector is going to highlight Ruthannes success and the rest of the team on the 2fm breakfast show tomorrow 9 Tuesday)

Just curious... there seemed to be a lot of runners not of international competition standard. Without sounding in any way derogatory... Is there a back of pack filler option which enables people to take part , even though they would not have any aspirations for anything more than achieving their own PB?

I would have loved to be there to see our official team perform out of their skins.
    Is it just a case of apply for individuals?

Ultrarunning Ireland used to use the International B standard as a basis for selection, with an option to select people with suitably impressive performances in other ultra distances. AAI have been happy to continue with the same selection criteria, as it makes perfect sense.

Other countries are free to make their own selections using any basis they like. Individuals can't apply to enter the world champs. They have to be selected as part of a national team. Graduated funding from the IAU for competitors is handed out on the basis of IAU A,B and C standards acheived in the previous 2 years. National federations have an option of using a limited number of wildcard entries to upgrade competitors to B standard for funding.

So you can end up with smaller federations having a much smaller pool of athletes to choose from sending competitors who will turn out to be the "backpackers". You can also get the situation, like the Americans had, where their national record holder (and silver medalist from the last world champs) doesn't get selected as they have such a large pool to choose from, and the way their selection criteria work.

• Advertisement

Thanks Enduro. Great to have that explained.
    I was curious when I saw a big lady in a pink tracksuit with a number on her chest and looking at the results there was one person who only did one lap. Grrr. :rolleyes:

Its super to have quality when we cant have quantity in quality available.:D

Enduro wrote: »
    Ultrarunning Ireland used to use the International B standard as a basis for selection, with an option to select people with suitably impressive performances in other ultra distances. AAI have been happy to continue with the same selection criteria, as it makes perfect sense.

Is that right? I didn't think Dee had the B standard.

Not that I am suggesting that she should not have been sent - she was last year's Irish champion and a place in the European championships should be the least she gets for that.

In general though, looking for the B standard makes perfect sense indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Is that right? I didn't think Dee had the B standard.

Not that I am suggesting that she should not have been sent - she was last year's Irish champion and a place in the European championships should be the least she gets for that.

In general though, looking for the B standard makes perfect sense indeed.
    What is the B standard for men? Might we see Thomas lining up in the tri-colour some time in the future? :D

What is the B standard for men? Might we see Thomas lining up in the tri-colour some time in the future? :D

220 km. Don't ask me why I know it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Ruth Anne's race report from Poland. set aside a half hour!

Taken from the Athenry AC website.

Advertisement