Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Quick question, does anyone know do all drawings have to be free hand? I've done a plan and elevation for the second page of my compare and contrast showing the measurements, is this okay? I've drawn it out properly to scale using a t-square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eoinryan8975

whats it mean in CD when it asks for just drawings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deink

Which folder do the sheets with the plan, elevation, end view go in? Are they supposed to be saved as solidworks files or pdf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Quick question, does anyone know do all drawings have to be free hand? I've done a plan and elevation for the second page of my compare and contrast showing the measurements, is this okay? I've drawn it out properly to scale using a t-square.

Not 100% sure what did your teacher say, I would have said freehand to be honest
    whats it mean in CD when it asks for just drawings ?

What exactly are you asking here I don't understand the question>
    deink wrote: »
    Which folder do the sheets with the plan, elevation, end view go in? Are they supposed to be saved as solidworks files or pdf?

Both. The drawing sheet with the front elevation plan and end view goes in the Part A folder and Part B folder as solidworks drawing files but also saved as PDFs in the other folder on the CD

seavill wrote: »
    Not 100% sure what did your teacher say, I would have said freehand to be honest

What exactly are you asking here I don't understand the question>

Both. The drawing sheet with the front elevation plan and end view goes in the Part A folder and Part B folder as solidworks drawing files but also saved as PDFs in the other folder on the CD
    Its asking for in folders A and B of the CD to have

Parts
    Assembly
    Drawings
    eDrawings

What are the drawings ????

• Advertisement

Drawing file of your assembly front elevation plan end view sections dimensions etc
    Drawing file of exploded view
    Rendered pictorial (not the photorealistic)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

The drawings are where when you open up solidworks, instead of making a part or assembly, you click drawing. They're basically your orthographic, exploded and rendered sheets, i thiiiiink.

The drawings are where when you open up solidworks, instead of making a part or assembly, you click drawing. They're basically your orthographic, exploded and rendered sheets, i thiiiiink.
    Ahsavage man thanks :)

Ahsavage man thanks :)

*woman :p

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

What's everyone doing for their cover? I was going to go with the usual plain white page with the modified lectern and the project title but just should I up the standard a bit? :pac:

• Advertisement

kingcobra wrote: »
    What's everyone doing for their cover? I was going to go with the usual plain white page with the modified lectern and the project title but just should I up the standard a bit? :pac:

For all of my outputs bar the solidworks drawing I have a special background, so I'm using that on my cover too, but I'm just using the photorealistics from part a and part b I'd say, with a title :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

For the CD, for part A, I add in all the parts, the assembly and the edrawing? do I add in the drawing too? as in the output 5 printed file?? Thanks for any help :)

kingcobra wrote: »
    i just put basic text on the cover and a space to add in exam number, there aren't any marks for it I've been told not to do anything special for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Suppose i better get started with this project,when is it due?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

I don't believe you need freehand sketches here. Would have advised it but not necessary. Only output 3 and 8 HAVE to have freehands.

I don't believe you need freehand sketches here. Would have advised it but not necessary. Only output 3 and 8 HAVE to have freehands.

Only 3 and 8 have to have the original sketches the rest can be scanned onto the sheets I don't remember reading anything where it says about freehand not being required in anything else. It only mentions sketches rather than specifically mentioning the word freehand, as far as I remember anyway although I am open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Only 3 and 8 have to have the original sketches the rest can be scanned onto the sheets I don't remember reading anything where it says about freehand not being required in anything else. It only mentions sketches rather than specifically mentioning the word freehand, as far as I remember anyway although I am open to correction

Just to add, I asked my teacher about this today, and he reckoned it was okay to not have them freehand. He said the same thing, the only place that MUST be free hand is outputs 3 and 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deink

About to burn my project onto a cd now, what are you supposed to do if you havent gotten your examination number yet?

deink wrote: »
    About to burn my project onto a cd now, what are you supposed to do if you havent gotten your examination number yet?

Don't put anything on your cd until the exam numbers come in a few weeks. Put your name and date of birth on every sheet and the main file on the cd is to be called dcg sa 2013 name date of birth.

Do I include decal jpegs, output 6 jpegs and output 5 files on SolidWorks folder of cd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Do I include decal jpegs, output 6 jpegs and output 5 files on SolidWorks folder of cd?

Decal JPEG I assume need to be included (as the decal won't work without it) having said that I'm open to correction!
    With regards to Output 6, as long as it's included in the PDF you don't need to worry about including them!
    And the electronic files for Output 5 are part of Output 4 (the solidworks drawings) so so yeah they do have to be included!

How do you save the ortographic views, exploded views ect, are they saved as jpegs or something ???

I haven't even started output 7 or 8 :/

How do you save the ortographic views, exploded views ect, are they saved as jpegs or something ???

They are saved as drawing files as opposed to part files in parts A and B and must also be put as PDFs for the electronic format folder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Ahhhh it's a lovely thought that in about 9 hours and 40 minutes I'll be finished this project! (I know it's officially due Friday but our teacher has decided he wants it due tomorrow, doesn't bother me he could give us forever and I don't think my project would get any better!) It's been such a weight on my shoulders for the last few months! On Friday I'm going to a well deserved party to celebrate it being finished!

For output 9, i included some phororealistics with my drawing sheet... they don't appear when I open it now though they did print and are scanned... will it be sufficient to leave them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Ahhhh it's a lovely thought that in about 9 hours and 40 minutes I'll be finished this project! (I know it's officially due Friday but our teacher has decided he wants it due tomorrow, doesn't bother me he could give us forever and I don't think my project would get any better!) It's been such a weight on my shoulders for the last few months! On Friday I'm going to a well deserved party to celebrate it being finished!

Haha same as myself! Few beers saturday night to celebrate the end of 3 or 4 hours work every night for the last 3 weeks and a huge amount of school hours used on it as well :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Don't put anything on your cd until the exam numbers come in a few weeks. Put your name and date of birth on every sheet and the main file on the cd is to be called dcg sa 2013 name date of birth.

"As examination candidate numbers will not be available at this time, students should use their name and date of birth as a means of identification on their design portfolio and on the main folder contained on the CD. The name of this folder should be in the following format “DCG SA 2012 (Student Name Date of birth)”. E.g. “DCG SA 2012 (John Smith 04-07-1994)”. Please note the use of dashes in the date of birth format."

This is taken from the official department circular and would suggest to me that the CD should be burned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

Comer1 wrote: »
    "As examination candidate numbers will not be available at this time, students should use their name and date of birth as a means of identification on their design portfolio and on the main folder contained on the CD. The name of this folder should be in the following format “DCG SA 2012 (Student Name Date of birth)”. E.g. “DCG SA 2012 (John Smith 04-07-1994)”. Please note the use of dashes in the date of birth format."

This is taken from the official department circular and would suggest to me that the CD should be burned now.

The CD HAS TO BE BURNED by friday otherwise you may be disqualified :O when you do get your exam number write the number on the CD using one of those special markers.

but make sure you burn the CD before 5 on friday.

I am so delighted to be finished it

• Advertisement

Advertisement