Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Im confused... I thought we only use solidworks twice - once for existing aretefact, and once for new concept design/mod??

And for output 7, is it advisable to do a theme, target market or specified location for the concept design? Cheers.

Yea solidworks twice, output 4 and 9.

Output 4 is min 5 parts HL, 3 OL
    Output 9 is one part

Output 7 can either be a concept design or a modification. If doing a concept design yes theme, target market etc. are needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

seavill wrote: »

Yea solidworks twice, output 4 and 9.

Output 4 is min 5 parts HL, 3 OL
    Output 9 is one part

Output 7 can either be a concept design or a modification. If doing a concept design yes theme, target market etc. are needed

sorry what I meant to ask was for output 9, what gets the most marks for a concept - theme, target market or an idea for a specified location, in general... just trying to think of ideas and wanna make sure im on the right track for the a1 :-)

sorry what I meant to ask was for output 9, what gets the most marks for a concept - theme, target market or an idea for a specified location, in general... just trying to think of ideas and wanna make sure im on the right track for the a1 :-)

Any are acceptable as long as your output 7,8,9 make sense and all link together. No one of the above is more correct than the other, whichever you choose to base your object on will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BenMcCabe

What did everyone do for output 1 + 2, did you sketch or draw anything or use powerpoint or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

BenMcCabe wrote: »
    What did everyone do for output 1 + 2, did you sketch or raw anything or use powerpoint or what?

I did everything on PowerPoint and then printed it out and sketched my artefacts in the boxes. Sketching only needs to be done in Compare and Contrast. None in Research and Investigation.

• Advertisement

Gotta ask, do we need to have precise measurements for Part B of New Concept?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BboyK

Can anyone tell me what we need to do exactly in output 3-6 HL? Want to be sure!

BboyK wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what we need to do exactly in output 3-6 HL? Want to be sure!

read the marking scheme

read the marking scheme
    Any link please thanks

Any link please thanks

http://t4.ie/dcg_student_assignment.html

that is the advice booklet given by t4.

The marking scheme is given in the pink sheet you got with the project on it
    same link will find it for you if you don't have the sheet

• Advertisement

can't think of any ideas whatsoever for conecpt design, are people going to do an event, like a lectern for the us president inaugration or what?

What do they mean in output 4 when they say comprising at least 5 parts, an assembly, Drawing and eDrawing? Do they want the whole Lectern together or like exploded view?

What do they mean in output 4 when they say comprising at least 5 parts, an assembly, Drawing and eDrawing? Do they want the whole Lectern together or like exploded view?

Both

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ShaneWard

How much of the project do people have done? Im quite worried im behind and i have 2 other projects to do for other subjects !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cm3007

http://www.teaminfovision.com/images/products/podium/wooden.png

Doing this for Output 4. There are some difficult parts to do, but no complicated Solidworks features, just extrudes, cuts and mates really. Is this a problem does anyone know? Looking for an A here like.

cm3007 wrote: »
    http://www.teaminfovision.com/images/products/podium/wooden.png

Doing this for Output 4. There are some difficult parts to do, but no complicated Solidworks features, just extrudes, cuts and mates really. Is this a problem does anyone know? Looking for an A here like.

Are you going to draw the actual keyboards etc. or just the lectern itself minus accessories?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Repeating the warning about posting images and detailed discussion of exam work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Only have outputs 1 to 3 finished... after a little mishap with the school computers I have to start the solidworks parts AGAIN this week... gonna be pretty busy :pac:
    spurious wrote: »
    Repeating the warning about posting images and detailed discussion of exam work here.

Makes sense lads, better off focusing on your own project instead of getting a sneak peak at other ones... and if the warning is in bold it's gotta be serious :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cm3007

Can't really say to be honest. Just wondering if anyone knows how it's marked in that respect.

I have no idea how it is marked, seems nobody is sure, and the marking scheme isn't that clear either... Just doing the best I can and hoping the rest works out...
    Question for output 4... when mating two cylindrical bodies, and the Plane mates doesn't work, what else can I do to mate them?
    Also, is it easy to edit different parts after assembling the lectern. What I mean is can I still go back and tweak different parts that have already been assembled without upsetting the entire program?
    Thanks for any help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I have no idea how it is marked, seems nobody is sure, and the marking scheme isn't that clear either... Just doing the best I can and hoping the rest works out...
    Question for output 4... when mating two cylindrical bodies, and the Plane mates doesn't work, what else can I do to mate them?
    Also, is it easy to edit different parts after assembling the lectern. What I mean is can I still go back and tweak different parts that have already been assembled without upsetting the entire program?
    Thanks for any help! :)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but if I have this right, could you mate the two faces together, and then make two planes (eg the two front planes) parallel?

As for your second question, it depends on the tweak obviously but what I've found is that its difficult to make many changes without upsetting mates etc on the assembly.

Think I solved the assembly thanks for your help anyway unitedlad! Hopefully I finish it off by this week, just a few tweaks left to go, how is everyone else doing? Does anyone have any tips for outputs 5-6, as in how should I lay out 5, and is 6 as easy as print off a few pictures and be guaranteed full marks? Cheers...

Onto Part B today, yes! Looks like I'll have it done by December hopefully!

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Onto Part B today, yes! Looks like I'll have it done by December hopefully!

nice fair play, you happy with your 1-6? whatt did you do for 5, and you have an idea for 7?

nice fair play, you happy with your 1-6? whatt did you do for 5, and you have an idea for 7?
    I don't have the exploded view done as I need my teacher's help on it for the drawing template. For Part 5, I did a simple wooden lectern with some glass panels on it. Done in 7 parts. For Part 7, I based my design on my interest in aviation. Mixed a bit of everything that's related to it like the fuselage of the airplane, the wings, the nose, control tower columns. Hoping it will turn out nice in Solidworks.. :rolleyes: The modern thing about it is the looks really and will be compatible with iPad through the use of USB ports.

Don't worry SEC, I'm not breaking any laws or policies in relation to discussing exam/project material :pac:

for part b, what exactly is required in output 7? sketches or what? and is output 9 the very same as output 4, 5 part minimum or what?

Wait for the idea for part b, the new concept design, does it actually need to solve a problem? or could I just design a lectern based on, say a rugby ball and say it is to be used at the rugby world cup 2015... is that allowed? assuming it is done right and everything, could that type of idea be a1 standard?

for part b, what exactly is required in output 7? sketches or what? and is output 9 the very same as output 4, 5 part minimum or what?
    I've done a spider diagram of lecterns throughout the years, what heights are they, what were they for, what was the occasion. For example, the lectern that was used for the Olympics. Many of us DCG students would think it was to sell tickets for the Olympics. It actually wasn't. It was to sell the British products and London itself. It was designed that way to attract people from all around the world to London not because it was a host for 2012 Olympics but also because it was designed to attract people. You would have to analyse it in great details. This would be done under a topic or theme i.e. football, cars, aviation or even architecture! Once you have that done, in part 8, you should try to combine nearly every point you made in Part 7.
    Wait for the idea for part b, the new concept design, does it actually need to solve a problem? or could I just design a lectern based on, say a rugby ball and say it is to be used at the rugby world cup 2015... is that allowed? assuming it is done right and everything, could that type of idea be a1 standard?
    In the brief it says 'Develop and graphically communicate a new concept design for a lectern based on a selected theme, target market or specified location' so in other words, yeah you can design yours on a rugby ball and it could be presented at the Rugby World Cup. As for the grade you would think it get, I can't say really but try to tick all of the marks on the Marking Scheme.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I've done a spider diagram of lecterns throughout the years, what heights are they, what were they for, what was the occasion. For example, the lectern that was used for the Olympics. Many of us DCG students would think it was to sell tickets for the Olympics. It actually wasn't. It was to sell the British products and London itself. It was designed that way to attract people from all around the world to London not because it was a host for 2012 Olympics but also because it was designed to attract people. You would have to analyse it in great details. This would be done under a topic or theme i.e. football, cars, aviation or even architecture! Once you have that done, in part 8, you should try to combine nearly every point you made in Part 7.

In the brief it says 'Develop and graphically communicate a new concept design for a lectern based on a selected theme, target market or specified location' so in other words, yeah you can design yours on a rugby ball and it could be presented at the Rugby World Cup. As for the grade you would think it get, I can't say really but try to tick all of the marks on the Marking Scheme.

Thanks! I think I have an idea for my lectern, hopefully it will work out, going to do it based on a spanish theme I think, different things spanish all merged together to create a kind of novelty lectern for some sort of event. What you think? Like a spanish bull shaped lectern with the spanish colours down the front and say the ledge is a sombrero or something spanish? haha

• Advertisement

Thanks! I think I have an idea for my lectern, hopefully it will work out, going to do it based on a spanish theme I think, different things spanish all merged together to create a kind of novelty lectern for some sort of event. What you think? Like a spanish bull shaped lectern with the spanish colours down the front and say the ledge is a sombrero or something spanish? haha

There's an idea! You will need to think of a place where you could use the lectern. Is it suited to that event, occasion or speech? Pamploma Bull Run is a nice example

Also, try to keep it in simple shapes as you will have to draw it on Solidworks

Advertisement