Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    There's an idea! You will need to think of a place where you could use the lectern. Is it suited to that event, occasion or speech? Pamploma Bull Run is a nice example

Also, try to keep it in simple shapes as you will have to draw it on Solidworks

Yeah I will probably run with this idea! Just need to wrap up my outputs 1-6 first, nothing entirely finished, which is frustrating... Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

So how are people getting on with the project. Solidworks is wrecking my head, computer had a seizure today when i did a huge linear array :(

is it ok to break something up in to about 10 parts( about 6 of these are small pieces that are needed to fit it together ie shelves,) the rest are pretty difficult?

finding the concept design tough to be honest :(

mmcinerney wrote: »
    So how are peop
    le getting on with the project. Solidworks is wrecking my head, computer had a seizure today when i did a huge linear array :(

is it ok to break something up in to about 10 parts( about 6 of these are small pieces that are needed to fit it together ie shelves,) the rest are pretty difficult?

finding the concept design tough to be honest :(
    Wait were you working on your solidworks in school on a Sunday??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Wait were you working on your solidworks in school object a Sunday??

Could be practising on his home computer, that's what we're told to do, practise it at home so when you do it in school you spend less time fiddling around!

What is expected of us for output 5, 7 and 8 guys? Like how many pages for each and for output 7 is it all sketches or what? and out put 8 is essentially another output 3 is it? Cheers, finding it difficult to work out what it is the examiners actually want from us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Hey guys , just have a quick question regarding solidworks. I have my model for part a complete and assembled but there are minuses in the design tree , I fairly sure it means its underdefined but I'm not sure what it is thats underdefined is it the mates? if anybody could help with this it would be greatly appreciated :)

Barster wrote: »
    Hey guys , just have a quick question regarding solidworks. I have my model for part a complete and assembled but there are minuses in the design tree , I fairly sure it means its underdefined but I'm not sure what it is thats underdefined is it the mates? if anybody could help with this it would be greatly appreciated :)
    I would guess it is the sketches lad... they need to be entirely black, every last point needs to be defined (ie. fixed at a point)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Yeah I fixed it all up and I'm good to go now! thanks :) for output 7 what way is anybody presenting it are ye using powerpoint or just hand drawn sketches with developments?

Barster wrote: »
    Yeah I fixed it all up and I'm good to go now! thanks :) for output 7 what way is anybody presenting it are ye using powerpoint or just hand drawn sketches with developments?
    ill probably do it on powerpoint with some space for sketches. doing 2 pages, how many you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eoinryan8975

Question. I have been doing my project on this computer and its locked to my friends login name ''08sry'' but I have started doing my new concept on my own login account because its been unlocked ''08er'' will the two different names come up when the examiner gets it or what ???????????/

• Advertisement

Howdy lads, hope yer projects are doing ok. I am wrapping up bits of part A at the mintute. For output 4 guys, what is an edrawing?

And for output 5, do we merely print a few orthographic pics, an exploded view, a section view and then a rendered isometric view from output 4.
    How do I apply this render for the isometric? I am really confused about this output and I can't find samples anywhere in co. Cork! also, output 6, is that as easy as print a few rendered piccies?

Help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Howdy lads, hope yer projects are doing ok. I am wrapping up bits of part A at the mintute. For output 4 guys, what is an edrawing?

File, save as, file type - edrawing

sorr for all the questions but I am having a hard time understanding what is expected of us.... For Part B, does it help if my idea is more complex to draw or is it marked based on justification alone and not really down to any skils in solidworks. My idea is good and appropriate but it will probably take me about 2 days to draw it it is so simple... what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

sorr for all the questions but I am having a hard time understanding what is expected of us.... For Part B, does it help if my idea is more complex to draw or is it marked based on justification alone and not really down to any skils in solidworks. My idea is good and appropriate but it will probably take me about 2 days to draw it it is so simple... what you think?

If you have the brief for it, it has a marking scheme on it and it will show you the marks and what will it be allocated to. You can do simple or complex but I'd go for something simple as it's easier to make on SW. The most complex lectern made in SW isn't going to get full marks for the sake of it's looks. Follow the marking scheme and mark your own project as if it was someone else's. If it didn't get mark well, you know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Question. I have been doing my project on this computer and its locked to my friends login name ''08sry'' but I have started doing my new concept on my own login account because its been unlocked ''08er'' will the two different names come up when the examiner gets it or what ???????????/
    Apparently I was told by my teacher how they tell which computer is used is by the MAC address in the log file of your Solidworks file, so I think as long as the MAC address is registered with the SEC there shouldn't be a problem, I would imagine that whatever username is used doesn't matter, but I couldn't say for sure.

How are people laying out output 5 and 7? I'm thinking 2 pages for each but not sure what the content will be just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 j a b

i did my first lectern on solidworks and i have finished it but i did all the measurements in mm instead of cm so now it is only 10 cm tall instead of 1m. it is all at a scale of 1 to 10 will i lose marks for this and is there a way to fix it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mmcinerney

j a b wrote: »
    i did my first lectern on solidworks and i have finished it but i did all the measurements in mm instead of cm so now it is only 10 cm tall instead of 1m. it is all at a scale of 1 to 10 will i lose marks for this and is there a way to fix it ?

I would say that if you go into options and change the change the units in document properties to the next stage up it should be fine. dunno though solidworks might have a seizure when you do it?

Is anyone else solidworks sooo slow??

question guys and gals, are ye getting much guidance from your teachers? we have 5th and 6th years in one class so basically since the project came we (6th years) have been down in the computer room doing it ourselves, our teacher never actually checks anything we do. very much independent learing but i wouldnt mind a bit of guidance

Guys when referencing pictures and stuff, is it fine to lump in all the links at the end of the project, I assume this reference page won't count as an actual page? also, if i took a picture with my own camera, should I reference this or is it assumed that it is primary research, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Guys when referencing pictures and stuff, is it fine to lump in all the links at the end of the project, I assume this reference page won't count as an actual page? also, if i took a picture with my own camera, should I reference this or is it assumed that it is primary research, cheers!
    You could streamline it into the project by putting a footer at the end of the page with references in light grey. Looks neater too I reckon.

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    You could streamline it into the project by putting a footer at the end of the page with references in light grey. Looks neater too I reckon.
    Hmm interesting not sure I know what you mean, but to be clear do I need to state which pictures I took myself or is it assumed? Thanks

Ooh and anyone know what they mean by "notes and symbols" in the marking scheme for output 5?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

State which pictures you took yourself.

spurious wrote: »
    State which pictures you took yourself.
    thanks dude, i will reprint my reference pages this week. have you added appearance to your output 4 btw? and have you brought your lectern into photoworks, i haven't started any of that yet :/

For output 9, I have the idea for a rugby ball shaped lectern. Have it drawn and everything but need to add the logo and all the appropriate colours in the right places... anyone know how I could do this? Appearances just apply to the entire face, doesn't let me pick and choose....

For output 9, I have the idea for a rugby ball shaped lectern. Have it drawn and everything but need to add the logo and all the appropriate colours in the right places... anyone know how I could do this? Appearances just apply to the entire face, doesn't let me pick and choose....

Right click on an area you want to colour or apply a material onto. You will see the Appearance logo at the top of the menu. It will give you the option to choose what part you are going to paint i.e. Extrude, Shelf (name of the part) or the Body. Choose appearance and tada! You have it :)

Right click on an area you want to colour or apply a material onto. You will see the Appearance logo at the top of the menu. It will give you the option to choose what part you are going to paint i.e. Extrude, Shelf (name of the part) or the Body. Choose appearance and tada! You have it :)
    hey cheers for the help but I should have stressed that is what I am doing, the problem is that although the ball is supposed to be different colours, it is all one face so is there any way I can break one face into two or something? Thanks for replying

hey cheers for the help but I should have stressed that is what I am doing, the problem is that although the ball is supposed to be different colours, it is all one face so is there any way I can break one face into two or something? Thanks for replying

Hmmm, that'll be difficult. My friend did something like that but on a flat surface. He basically imported a picture from the internet into the SW and placed it on the part. This is handy if the colour scheme is multi-coloured but I don't know how can it be done.

I'll talk to him on Monday and try it myself on SW and if it works, I'll pass it on to you :)

Hmmm, that'll be difficult. My friend did something like that but on a flat surface. He basically imported a picture from the internet into the SW and placed it on the part. This is handy if the colour scheme is multi-coloured but I don't know how can it be done.

I'll talk to him on Monday and try it myself on SW and if it works, I'll pass it on to you :)
    Wow you dont need to but thanks that would be awesome! I guess if the lectern was a perfect cylinder it would be handier but the shape of the ball is tricky... I was thinking it might be handy to cut the logo into the ball for the ortho views to look better aswell... how is your project going anyway?

You mean like Extrude Cut into it?

My Solidworks parts are finished, just have to perfect my freehand sketches and then bind the pages together and done :)

• Advertisement

You mean like Extrude Cut into it?

My Solidworks parts are finished, just have to perfect my freehand sketches and then bind the pages together and done :)
    yep an extrude cut what ya think?

Nice you can relax a little then, can't wait to finish up mine, still loads to do tbh :( I have 1-3 done/printed, 4finished, bit of 5 done, no 6 at all yet, half of 7, no 8, and half 9 :/

Advertisement