Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

yep an extrude cut what ya think?

Nice you can relax a little then, can't wait to finish up mine, still loads to do tbh :( I have 1-3 done/printed, 4finished, bit of 5 done, no 6 at all yet, half of 7, no 8, and half 9 :/

Into a sphere or cylinder?

I still have to get the Photorealistic views done, they take a while to render in PhotoView. After this is done, I can now focus more on my Engineering project now. But it does take a load off my mind now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Into a sphere or cylinder?

I still have to get the Photorealistic views done, they take a while to render in PhotoView. After this is done, I can now focus more on my Engineering project now. But it does take a load off my mind now!
    its neither, its rugby ball shaped... so it was a spline revolved...
    good luck with the engineering project! are you confident your project is A standard?

its neither, its rugby ball shaped... so it was a spline revolved...
    good luck with the engineering project! are you confident your project is A standard?

I've marked it personally at A1 grade, my DCG teacher has marked at B1 grade and my Engineering teacher marked it at A1 grade so I'm probably gonna try to look for errors or things I can improve on. After all, I do have 6 weeks until the deadline.

As for the extrude cut, is it a logo or writing that you want to extrude? If it's a writing, you can try to text wrap it around the rugby ball and then extrude cut it. It'll be complex so ask your teacher to give you a hand with it.

I've marked it personally at A1 grade, my DCG teacher has marked at B1 grade and my Engineering teacher marked it at A1 grade so I'm probably gonna try to look for errors or things I can improve on. After all, I do have 6 weeks until the deadline.

As for the extrude cut, is it a logo or writing that you want to extrude? If it's a writing, you can try to text wrap it around the rugby ball and then extrude cut it. It'll be complex so ask your teacher to give you a hand with it.

its a logo but I could certainly just write it, hmm text wrap, extrude cut sounds good I think...

A1 has to sound promising! I figure if you follow what they say on the marking scheme, especially for outputs 1-6, there isn't a lot they can dock marks for, it seems straightforward enough? what did you do for output 5, how many pages? which views?

its a logo but I could certainly just write it, hmm text wrap, extrude cut sounds good I think...

A1 has to sound promising! I figure if you follow what they say on the marking scheme, especially for outputs 1-6, there isn't a lot they can dock marks for, it seems straightforward enough? what did you do for output 5, how many pages? which views?

I did Orthographic and Exploded on A3 Landscape and Portrait pages. Only doing two pages as we don't have templates for the Pictorial views on our computers.

Yeah, Outputs 1-6 are fairly straight forward. Nothing to difficult. I did find getting the layout right a bit of a challenge but teachers said you aren't marked for that so I came up with simple stuff, a heading on each page and the Output number and the foot.

• Advertisement

I did Orthographic and Exploded on A3 Landscape and Portrait pages. Only doing two pages as we don't have templates for the Pictorial views on our computers.

Yeah, Outputs 1-6 are fairly straight forward. Nothing to difficult. I did find getting the layout right a bit of a challenge but teachers said you aren't marked for that so I came up with simple stuff, a heading on each page and the Output number and the foot.

Yeah I am only doing two pages, trying to fit in all the views mentioned on the marking scheme... hoping that will be enough... what do you mean by templates? we have no layout at all, just add in diff views?

Templates as in heading, border, the examination number, school's logo etc.
    You know the things you would draw on your sheet before doing the question? Something like that with added looks and colours.

Templates as in heading, border, the examination number, school's logo etc.
    You know the things you would draw on your sheet before doing the question? Something like that with added looks and colours.

we have absolutely nothing like that... we just use a blank page... should I be worried?

Well my teacher made the school these templates. It's used to boast the presentation marks really. I don't know if you should be worried.. These temps are used for drawings only in both Part A and B

hmm still a bit confused we never used these... I will put in a border and label each drawing view, hopefully that is sufficient :/

• Advertisement

hmm still a bit confused we never used these... I will put in a border and label each drawing view, hopefully that is sufficient :/

That's what anyone would do. Maybe your teacher hasn't told of this template that you will use?

I amn't sure, I saw last years projects and they had no templates just drawings in random areas, is it abosolutely a requirement to have the exam number and all that written in? I would hate to lose marks over something silly like that

I amn't sure, I saw last years projects and they had no templates just drawings in random areas, is it abosolutely a requirement to have the exam number and all that written in? I would hate to lose marks over something silly like that

You'd have to have the examination number in it, not on every page though but for the bordering and the templates, I'd say it was made for extra presentation marks really.

You'd have to have the examination number in it, not on every page though but for the bordering and the templates, I'd say it was made for extra presentation marks really.
    Oh right cheers thought it would only be necessary for the front page.. when do we get the exam numbers though? i definitely dont have mine

Oh right cheers thought it would only be necessary for the front page.. when do we get the exam numbers though? i definitely dont have mine

Well that's what I mean.
    For the exam numbers, I really don't know. For the JC, I think I got mine after the mocks in February but that's not going to work with our DCG projects seeing that they are sealed in January unless the LC gets them earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Could someone explain output 7 to me please, I already have an idea for my concept design, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about doing the graphical exploration part :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

curly135 wrote: »
    Could someone explain output 7 to me please, I already have an idea for my concept design, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about doing the graphical exploration part :confused:

I'm also stuck at this part

its definitely the toughest to get on paper imo,
    i think it needs to be 3 pages based on the marks it carries
    basically expore theme, come up with solutions and ideas and develop one which you will then draw on paper/solidworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

The guide to the student assignment has some info on it, few sample outputs... still fairly confused though :pac:

http://www.t4.ie/dcg_student_assignment.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BboyK

isnt part 7 basically to make/Design a Lectern and Explain, Draw it in like output 2 or Make a Lectern for an event and also explain it in like output 2?

• Advertisement

Does anybody know whether it is bad practice to leave my shelves open for the orthographic views in output 5. it looks better with them open?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

I think its a matter of preference and what you think yourself yano? how are you getting on with the rest of the project btw?

Barster wrote: »
    I think its a matter of preference and what you think yourself yano? how are you getting on with the rest of the project btw?
    Yeah that's what i hoped, cheers.
    Eh still a bit behind schedule I think. outputs 1-5 pretty much finished... 6 still to go... Haven't started 7 or 8 yet, hoping to get 9 done this week... what about you?
    oh and for 9, what needs to be printed, just ortho views and a photo realistic is it??

wait for output 7, need we address the material we are building our lecterns out of? Mine is for a theme and so it isn't really environmentally friendly, should this be included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Does anybody know whether it is bad practice to leave my shelves open for the orthographic views in output 5. it looks better with them open?
    Probably best to have them closed and show hidden detail for the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Did the project last year, It is not essential but if I were you I would put my exam number on every page. If you don't you lose a very small amount of marks, maybe 1 or 2. Every mark counts tho remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fiona allan

is everyone doing a modern lectern for output 3 with multimedia features or what? I've already completed it but i'm unhappy with it and may doing something a bit more modern.

ya i did a pretty modern one, just had a computer on it with a mouse... drew the lot on solidworks too, if youve done the lot on solidworks already youd be wastin time changing it up now love

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paul.Durnan

hi .. does a link or any information about the origins of a picture that is copyed and pasted onto my output need to be stated ? help please

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

hi .. does a link or any information about the origins of a picture that is copyed and pasted onto my output need to be stated ? help please

For most exam work you have to credit sources other than yourself, so, I would say yes. It's a good habit to get into anyway, if you're planning on any further education.

Advertisement