Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paul.Durnan

thanks. but how would i go about that. would i print a link of the website i got the image from on the sheet when its printed off. or..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

thanks. but how would i go about that. would i print a link of the website i got the image from on the sheet when its printed off. or..?
    i believe you can throw in a page or two near the end with all your sources. these pages won't count for the 14 if ya feel me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

i believe you can throw in a page or two near the end with all your sources. these pages won't count for the 14 if ya feel me?

You don't put in extra pages at the end these would count as over 14. You can use the back cover as a page for links that won't count as a page of the 14. The front and back cover are not counted

seavill wrote: »
    You don't put in extra pages at the end these would count as over 14. You can use the back cover as a page for links that won't count as a page of the 14. The front and back cover are not counted

Are you sure reference pages would count as extra? I don't think they do, that's how all the schools in Cork do it as far I know, and they have been doing it like that for years.

What you doing for your front page btw? and the back page is just a blank page I thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

seavill wrote: »
    You can also use the free space on the bottom of the page to create a header and list the pages' sources on the bottom in grey text, this will also make it clear to the examiner of what was credited and where.

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    You can also use the free space on the bottom of the page to create a header and list the pages' sources on the bottom in grey text, this will also make it clear to the examiner of what was credited and where.
    are you sure you can't throw the references onto seperate pages? like absolutely certain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

are you sure you can't throw the references onto seperate pages? like absolutely certain?

You mean showing evidence of links of the pictures you used? You can. In the output it says that the front page and the glossary isn't included in the number of pages you need (14 for HL and 12 for OL).

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    You mean showing evidence of links of the pictures you used? You can. In the output it says that the front page and the glossary isn't included in the number of pages you need (14 for HL and 12 for OL).
    perfect, thats what i wanted to hear. the other fella trying to freak us all out, cheers man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Hi,
    Does anyone have a breakdown of the outputs for the clock? Like a list? I'd really appreciate it, because my teacher is a right ahole and can't explain anything!

Thanks a million in advance!

The list of the outputs is on the sheet you got at the start with the project on it. Go back a few pages here I put a link to t4 website the booklet is there

• Advertisement

guys, has anyone here done output 5, and if so can ya just tell me how exactly you laid it out? and what drawings, where? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

guys, has anyone here done output 5, and if so can ya just tell me how exactly you laid it out? and what drawings, where? cheers

Well I have 3 drawing sheets for it, pretty much followed what it said on the exam brief. First page had orthographic views, basic plan, elevation and end view. Second one is rendered pictorial, which is just one or two isometric views which are shaded in/rendered... and then for the third sheet I did exploded views. i might add details like broken lines, balloon reference and parts list on to the drawings later... well that's what I did for it anyway, hope it helps :p

Project is coming along nicely, hoping to finish the concept design this week, then all I have to do is tidy up a few things here and there :)

curly135 wrote: »
    Well I have 3 drawing sheets for it, pretty much followed what it said on the exam brief. First page had orthographic views, basic plan, elevation and end view. Second one is rendered pictorial, which is just one or two isometric views which are shaded in/rendered... and then for the third sheet I did exploded views. i might add details like broken lines, balloon reference and parts list on to the drawings later... well that's what I did for it anyway, hope it helps :p

Project is coming along nicely, hoping to finish the concept design this week, then all I have to do is tidy up a few things here and there :)

Hey thanks for getting back to me, I will probably do something similar but I just wondered what you mean by balloon reference and parts list??

Glad to hear your project is coming along well, I am finishing up over the christmas holidays, our teacher said we have the holidays to finalise everything and no more proj. work after christmas, I think things are going ok, I am following the brief so by rights I should get a high grade but I guess the examiner has a lot of discretion regards presentation and the likes too so hard to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cm3007

Anyone know where you can get a free edition of Solidworks? Not even the full program, just Solidworks Viewer to be able to see my project at home?

cm3007 wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can get a free edition of Solidworks? Not even the full program, just Solidworks Viewer to be able to see my project at home?

if ya just wanna look at it save her as an edrawing or a jpeg

Your school has hundreds of free downloads. There is a link to follow and your school has a unique code to input and its free to download. I'm surprised you are in 6th year and have never been given this to be honest

Hey thanks for getting back to me, I will probably do something similar but I just wondered what you mean by balloon reference and parts list??

You know how in the instruction thingy for flat pack furniture or whatever you get a number for each part and then in the drawing all the parts are numbered? that's pretty much what balloon reference is, you'd know it straight away if you saw it... and you can add the parts list to the drawings somehow xD it's pretty much just fancy stuff that can get you those few more marks :p

No prob, kinda good to get the project over and done with before the pres and everything gets hectic :)

curly135 wrote: »
    You know how in the instruction thingy for flat pack furniture or whatever you get a number for each part and then in the drawing all the parts are numbered? that's pretty much what balloon reference is, you'd know it straight away if you saw it... and you can add the parts list to the drawings somehow xD it's pretty much just fancy stuff that can get you those few more marks :p

No prob, kinda good to get the project over and done with before the pres and everything gets hectic :)

I know what you mean... I am looking through the marking scheme here and all the views mentioned I have included, do you reckon its pretty hard for them to give me any less than 15 out of 15 if I cover all those spots and the presentation is OK?

My teacher said presentation counts for little to nothing, if you tick off the marking scheme every view etc. they cant give you any less than full marks.. hope she was right

yeah exactly, if everything mentioned on the brief is covered then I couldn't see much marks being lost for anything... thinking back I did the same thing, just included whatever views were mentioned :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 cm3007

Well that's.... frustrating to find out. I have my rendered pictures of it now so I'm ok. I'd like to have it for Section B though, starting that this week.

cm3007 wrote: »
    Well that's.... frustrating to find out. I have my rendered pictures of it now so I'm ok. I'd like to have it for Section B though, starting that this week.
    wait what's frustrating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I actually feel slightly sick hearing ye all so relaxed and calm about the project! I sort of skimmed over the design comparison an research stuff (so that's needs revisiting but hey at least I can do that at home!) then I clearly have spent WAAAYYY too much time on my existing design, now while I'm very proud of the finished product there's only a finite amount of allocated marks! I've no sketching done for that either! Then moving to the conceof design, I've a theme and target market and good original features thought up of but have no idea of the general form of it! :(D:

I actually feel slightly sick hearing ye all so relaxed and calm about the project! I sort of skimmed over the design comparison an research stuff (so that's needs revisiting but hey at least I can do that at home!) then I clearly have spent WAAAYYY too much time on my existing design, now while I'm very proud of the finished product there's only a finite amount of allocated marks! I've no sketching done for that either! Then moving to the conceof design, I've a theme and target market and good original features thought up of but have no idea of the general form of it! :(D:
    you got all of christmas to do 7 and 8, the rest takes no time...

I dont see how the results arent outstanding for this project to be honest... everyone in my class (over 20) have done excellent projects as far as I can see, so by rights should be 15 or so A projects, seems ridicolous so I guess there is something I dont know about how it is marked? where are people messing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 John Barrett

Hey I know everyone is probably finished yere projects already, but i have been sick for the past month in hospital so i could do nothing, my teacher is a pri*k so he wont help me. I cant get any relevant info on the lectern from the internet. The timeline is the hardest, i finished part A last week, this is what i did - http://www.google.ie/imgres?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1093&bih=471&tbm=isch&tbnid=XzLaLCboFPG2BM:&imgrefurl=http://www.craftaustralia.org.au/library/review.php%3Fid%3Daustralian_studio_furniture_40years&docid=ASIYk9KwQiyILM&imgurl=http://www.craftaustralia.org.au/library/docfiles/reviews/australian_studio_furniture_40years/images/10%252520Gray%252520Hawk,%252520Lectern%252520for%252520the%252520Franciscan%252520Brothers%252520Chapel,%252520Adelaide,%2525202001.jpg&w=299&h=500&ei=ekbCUKfZEcrDhAfZyYCABA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=550&vpy=48&dur=66&hovh=290&hovw=173&tx=103&ty=250&sig=113179445049953529537&page=3&tbnh=142&tbnw=84&start=28&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:43,s:0,i:211
    Any way could someone please help me with the powerpoint part as i need the points because i want to do design manufacture in College, would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Hey I know everyone is probably finished yere projects already, but i have been sick for the past month in hospital so i could do nothing, my teacher is a pri*k so he wont help me. I cant get any relevant info on the lectern from the internet. The timeline is the hardest, i finished part A last week, this is what i did - http://www.google.ie/imgres?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1093&bih=471&tbm=isch&tbnid=XzLaLCboFPG2BM:&imgrefurl=http://www.craftaustralia.org.au/library/review.php%3Fid%3Daustralian_studio_furniture_40years&docid=ASIYk9KwQiyILM&imgurl=http://www.craftaustralia.org.au/library/docfiles/reviews/australian_studio_furniture_40years/images/10%252520Gray%252520Hawk,%252520Lectern%252520for%252520the%252520Franciscan%252520Brothers%252520Chapel,%252520Adelaide,%2525202001.jpg&w=299&h=500&ei=ekbCUKfZEcrDhAfZyYCABA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=550&vpy=48&dur=66&hovh=290&hovw=173&tx=103&ty=250&sig=113179445049953529537&page=3&tbnh=142&tbnw=84&start=28&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:43,s:0,i:211
    Any way could someone please help me with the powerpoint part as i need the points because i want to do design manufacture in College, would be very much appreciated, thanks.

My lord! That Part B looks very complicated!

For the power point presentation, just create a layout i.e. Heading (Research and Investigation), a background like a square for your borders and maybe add colour to it. Keep it like as it will look ugly with text and pictures in it. Use Part A Output 1 (R & I) for each page rather than page numbers. The examiner will see that you understand the portfolio well. That's the layout sorted. For each page, choose a title that suits it.

For the Timeline, just take pictures from say Ancient Rome and then Mediviel Ireland, then early 1800's lectern and so on until you reach the present. You will only need 6 pictures for it. With each picture, explain how it changed/revolved from the previous lectern and why. Just basically analyse it as much as you can but in a brief paragraph. You don't need anything for Output 4-6. On 7, you can either make a doodle of your inspiration or interests or take pictures from the internet with a reason why you liked this i.e. a leaf. Someone might like it because it's eco or it's green. This could lead them to draw a lectern based on the leaf by stems. You'd be surprised what people actually like rather than the usual football or cars.
    Output 8 is freehand sketch of your Part B and Output 9 is the comparison between the two parts of A and B. Say what did you do here and there and why.

Hope this helps you well and if you don't understand something, let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 John Barrett

Thats my Part A!!! Thank you so much for replying. i nearly have the timeline done now only just to get a bit of historic info on the time when the light was first used in the lectern. i have all my part A solidworks and orthographic views done only for to do a rendered sketch. i have an idea for part B but i dont know if it will work. we will see. Amm id say the analysis of brief and compare and contrast pages wont be too bad. For the compare and contrast page, should i compare my one with a modern lectern or a not-so-modern lectern?? Thanks again for replying!! :)

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    My lord! That Part B looks very complicated!

For the power point presentation, just create a layout i.e. Heading (Research and Investigation), a background like a square for your borders and maybe add colour to it. Keep it like as it will look ugly with text and pictures in it. Use Part A Output 1 (R & I) for each page rather than page numbers. The examiner will see that you understand the portfolio well. That's the layout sorted. For each page, choose a title that suits it.

For the Timeline, just take pictures from say Ancient Rome and then Mediviel Ireland, then early 1800's lectern and so on until you reach the present. You will only need 6 pictures for it. With each picture, explain how it changed/revolved from the previous lectern and why. Just basically analyse it as much as you can but in a brief paragraph. You don't need anything for Output 4-6. On 7, you can either make a doodle of your inspiration or interests or take pictures from the internet with a reason why you liked this i.e. a leaf. Someone might like it because it's eco or it's green. This could lead them to draw a lectern based on the leaf by stems. You'd be surprised what people actually like rather than the usual football or cars.
    Output 8 is freehand sketch of your Part B and Output 9 is the comparison between the two parts of A and B. Say what did you do here and there and why.

Hope this helps you well and if you don't understand something, let me know :)

Output 9 is the same as output 4 and 5. You do your design in solidworks and produce the drawings for it. If it is a concept design it only has to be made out of one part if you want you do not have to make 5 parts here if you do not want to. It is not a comparison

Thats my Part A!!! Thank you so much for replying. i nearly have the timeline done now only just to get a bit of historic info on the time when the light was first used in the lectern. i have all my part A solidworks and orthographic views done only for to do a rendered sketch. i have an idea for part B but i dont know if it will work. we will see. Amm id say the analysis of brief and compare and contrast pages wont be too bad. For the compare and contrast page, should i compare my one with a modern lectern or a not-so-modern lectern?? Thanks again for replying!! :)

Yeah, try to have a primary photo (a photo that you took at say the Church or the library. You have to have an image of the lectern that you will draw for your Part A and a primary photo. It's not necessary to have a modern lectern with multimedia and touchscreens but it's nice to have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

Does anybody have any idea how to do designs on a long cylinder like one would do with the lade in woodwork? Also, does the new concept have to be modern at all, with microphones or connectivity and the likes?

Advertisement