Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Can my concept design be something that already exists? Like something just copied with a lectern incorporated? Or does it have/is it better to be something totally designed from my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BboyK

Can anyone please tell me in output 7 what is needed or expected? i have no idea. And in output 6 what images do they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

I'm seriously freaking out at this stage, I'm only on output 4 at the moment. What's the most time consuming part of part B? Is there anywhere i could cut down on time somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 micklen

If u made a pulpit would u get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cm3007

Well Mick :L
    -Cathal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 John Barrett

For output 7 how many pages have ye done?? Ive done 1 page so far and that page juist consisting of what i based my part B on, what should i do for a 2nd page?? Sketches/justification???? Project is due in tomorrow, help me please quick!!!! =(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

The galling moment when you realise your whole publisher file is on A4 sheets, have to resize the whole thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I got an A2 in my Leaving Cert last year (would have been A1, but my teacher was sh!te and didn't cover everything...). Here's my portfolio if you want to use mine as a reference. :)

http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/98055881/file.html

Which program did you use for Output 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Here is my old project as well. I ended up getting 94% somehow.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ud7agpx6ygsenam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Reminding people not to post exam material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

spurious wrote: »

Those two examples are last years projects not this years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

spurious wrote: »

people like spurious here drive me crazy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

people like spurious here drive me crazy

Not as crazy as the SEC will if they ask boards for the details of posters posting exam work - and they have been in touch already.

seavill wrote: »
    Those two examples are last years projects not this years

Yes I know, which is why they have not been deleted, but there is always one...

wait and see. Plenty silly people who post here without reading the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

Does anyone think its a bad thing if your portfolio sheets lack much colour? Like all i'm using is different shades of blue-grey. As long as my point gets across it doesnt really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

DonallFitz wrote: »
    Does anyone think its a bad thing if your portfolio sheets lack much colour? Like all i'm using is different shades of blue-grey. As long as my point gets across it doesnt really matter?

Shouldn't be any problem... I had a coloured background on mine, but i thought it looked a bit tacky so I took it off, now I just have a white background with a blue border. :) I have seen some past projects from students which had very colourful backgrounds, but tbh I though it wasn't needed... as long as you include what's asked for in the project, it should be fine :pac:

Make sure that any text on your background is legible. I saw a project once where someone had used a picture as a background and the text overlying it couldn't be read.

I've no background, and while my teacher is made for using a picture of a lectern in the background I decided against it, instead I did a nice blue and green border which I'm going to put on almost every sheet, hopefully it'll give the project some nice continuity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bigbill94

can anyone tell me what exactly they are doing for the first 3 sections?

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a link to the marking scheme (not the pink thing that we got, this gave a detailed breakdown of the requirements) I saw it around the place on of of the other years threads but I cant find it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

What does the brief mean by "rendered pictorial"?

Suil Eile wrote: »
    What does the brief mean by "rendered pictorial"?

It means the Solidworks assembly with the colour/appearance added in, when doing the drawings you can change it so that the appearance is there on the drawing.

That's what it means by rendered, then you just use an isometric view (or more than one on the same sheet, for example the front and back of the lectern) for the pictorial part :)

Not to be confused with the photorealistic views, which are separate to the drawing sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

curly135 wrote: »
    It means the Solidworks assembly with the colour/appearance added in, when doing the drawings you can change it so that the appearance is there on the drawing.

That's what it means by rendered, then you just use an isometric view (or more than one on the same sheet, for example the front and back of the lectern) for the pictorial part :)

Not to be confused with the photorealistic views, which are separate to the drawing sheets.
    Thanks, so it just goes on the same sheet as the orthographic views? My teacher seems to think that it means you open up your solidworks assembly, save it as a jpeg and use that, however looking at examples of old projects, I don't see that occuring at all.

Suil Eile wrote: »
    Thanks, so it just goes on the same sheet as the orthographic views? My teacher seems to think that it means you open up your solidworks assembly, save it as a jpeg and use that, however looking at examples of old projects, I don't see that occuring at all.

Yeah pretty much, and you can change the size/scale so that it all fits on the page neatly. I never heard about that anyway... you'd save the photorealistic views as jpeg alright and bring em in later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deink

Does the portfolio have to have all the scanned sheets in 1 file or can they be separate? And how do i make a .pdf file from .png images?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

What did everyone draw for the freehand sketches? I've drawn a 3-D object of the lectern and a close up of it's joints and the sheet is very bare looking..

For output 1,2 and 7; is it generally preferable to print scanned images of your freehand drawings directly onto your page, or to stick them on manually with glue or however? I'm hearing different teachers say different things.
    If I do scan them, anyone know how to maximize the quality. At the moment they're coming out a bit grey, I lose a good bit of colour quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Starting output 1.... Ohhh b*llox!

All solidworks finished, photorealistic done, eDrawings done, Exploded and normal assemblies done

Must do working drawing, sketches and re-do all the outputs due to a friend having looked at my project. DCG teacher had said it was good but apparently the fella that took a look at mine said my outputs would get about 30% of the possible marks :'( Felt like crying haha Shall be working flat out for the next week so!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

cm3007 wrote: »
    For output 1,2 and 7; is it generally preferable to print scanned images of your freehand drawings directly onto your page, or to stick them on manually with glue or however? I'm hearing different teachers say different things.
    If I do scan them, anyone know how to maximize the quality. At the moment they're coming out a bit grey, I lose a good bit of colour quality.

Our teacher tells us to scan them in and in my opinion it looks more presentable however that doesn't mean it isn't the best or correct way to do.

Another question regarding the sketches, do all the original sketches have to be presented neatly on an A3 sheet or can they be done on separate A4 sheets?This is not taking the project itself into question, it's just for the part where it says all sketches must be sent away with the project.

Advertisement