Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eoinryan8975

hey whats everyone doing with renaming thingy, do we have to rename every feature such as mates, revolve, flex, linear pattern, limit mates, mates, decals, extrude cuts, loft. My teacher is saying I just have to rename the parts as in Leg, work surface ect but I dunno HEEEELP

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

hey whats everyone doing with renaming thingy, do we have to rename every feature such as mates, revolve, flex, linear pattern, limit mates, mates, decals, extrude cuts, loft. My teacher is saying I just have to rename the parts as in Leg, work surface ect but I dunno HEEEELP

We were told to rename extrudes, cuts, etc. but not mates, patterns or fillets for some reason? Although after previous advice I've received off my teacher I wouldn't hold my breath on him being right....

oh jesus, how long did it take and what did you call them ? :/

oh jesus, how long did it take and what did you call them ? :/

If you open up your assembly and name them from the design tree by expanding all the individual parts and save the whole thing together shouldn't take more than 7 or 8 mins... if you open every part seperately then it will probably take nearly 20 mins.

Depends on how many parts you have though obviously. I had 15 in part A and 26 in part B but usually they only had about 4 or 5 features each

EDIT: Could be wrong about naming them from design tree BTW. I named mine by opening each part seperatley so confirm it with someone before hand. Wouldn't like to break your project on you like :P

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

kingcobra wrote: »
    Our teacher tells us to scan them in and in my opinion it looks more presentable however that doesn't mean it isn't the best or correct way to do.

Another question regarding the sketches, do all the original sketches have to be presented neatly on an A3 sheet or can they be done on separate A4 sheets?This is not taking the project itself into question, it's just for the part where it says all sketches must be sent away with the project.

Okay today we've been told that we MUST have the original sketch on the project itself and then scan them to put them on the electronic format. So now I've all the sketches to do over the weekend. Why oh why is it always me? :pac:

• Advertisement

Okay today we've been told that we MUST have the original sketch on the project itself and then scan them to put them on the electronic format. So now I've all the sketches to do over the weekend. Why oh why is it always me? :pac:

I have the sketches AND output 1,2, 3, 7 and 8 to do :eek: Count yourself lucky...ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Just a helpful tip: if you want to remove the "Solidworks Educational Product, For Instructional Use Only" on the bottom corner of every Solidworks drawing when you're printing. Print it to file, save the file as a jpg, the open it in paint or your favorite photo editor of choice, there you can cut or crop out the tag and print is a a normal photo and it'll come out perfectly without that tag on it. It's very useful if you plan to add a border to it at a later stage and don't want the two to overlap.

Sorry but will someone tell me step by step how to put the portfolia in pdf format I dont get it ?

Sorry but will someone tell me step by step how to put the portfolia in pdf format I dont get it ?

You're finished?? I dislike you now mate :L

I actually don't know how to put it all together as a PDF but I know that to save all the bits and pieces in PDF you just click "save as" from the file option and PDF is an option... You'll have to ask the bossman tomorrow how to put it all together in order and all that shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Our teacher said that we print the portfolio, add in all the drawings and all, and then scan the whole thing in as a PDF file. I'm not too sure though.

For part B, I am doing a modification. Do I just copy over all my part A stuff into the part B folder and then just modify it there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

read the brief, original sketches only needed for output 3 and 8. otherwise scanned is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Finished! All printed, scanned, binded, files on CD. The feeling is really relaxing. Now onto Engineering and Mocks... *sigh*

You only scan pages that have sketches on them. You need to do this as SEC requires a Electronic Portfolio as well as your paper portfolio. Make sure all files are in chronological order of appearance and saved as .pdf document!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

I'm starting Part B on Monday, anyone have any tips on getting it done relatively fast?? I'm freaking out :l

I'm starting Part B on Monday, anyone have any tips on getting it done relatively fast?? I'm freaking out :l

Starting from scratch? As in solidworks and all?? :eek:

Starting from scratch? As in solidworks and all?? :eek:

Yeah, all of part B from the beginning :l we're allowed to stay back for a total of 6 hours after school overall throughout the week, but I'm still worried about where I can cut down time :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Done mine completely! Really don't know how I done it. :/ All saved to CD, can't print it out for a few weeks no ink left.

iDann wrote: »
    Done mine completely! Really don't know how I done it. :/ All saved to CD, can't print it out for a few weeks no ink left.

I envy you! I wish I started seriously working earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Design and build a very simple lectern. I did mine based on Air Traffic Control towers which is relatively easy. Do yours on say vehicle logos like Scania, Volks-Wagon or Chevrolet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Yeah, all of part B from the beginning :l we're allowed to stay back for a total of 6 hours after school overall throughout the week, but I'm still worried about where I can cut down time :S

The big thing is be prepared, start making a plan of what you're going to make now, this weekend, so on Monday morning you can launch straight into Solidworks clear in the knowledge of what it's going to be, your time on Solidworks is precious, the last thing you want to do is be spending it trying to come up with inspiration!

If you have Solidworks at home (some schools give a copy to their students) then practice making it on that, now you can't submit that as your real project because the SEC will know you did it at home, however at least if you can practice it at home, you'll have encountered and solves any of the possible problems that might crop up when designing it on Solidworks in school!

Another thing is to keep it simple, looking back on my concept design I probably bit off more than I could chew, it had over 15 parts, but I was able to work through it because I had 6 weeks at my disposal to make my plan work, you don't have that! Stick to simple shapes, while I'm not saying make a box and put a microphone on it and that't it! But you'll be driven mad if you choose something with a lot of abstract curves!

The main thing is to go in Monday morning with a definite plan of what you're going to do, if you have that you should be fine! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

You'll get there :)

Same thing happened to guy in my class yesterday, he has to all part B!

• Advertisement

did anyone throw in a timeline for the output 1, like it says nothing about old lecterns like the gps a few years ago but do ye think I should throw it in for the sake of it ?????? and if I should could someone link a website of the history of lecterns ??????????/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

did anyone throw in a timeline for the output 1, like it says nothing about old lecterns like the gps a few years ago but do ye think I should throw it in for the sake of it ?????? and if I should could someone link a website of the history of lecterns ??????????/

It does

"(A) Carry out a design investigation of the physical form and features of modern lecterns. Your
    design investigation should include a brief exploration of the development of the lectern over the ages."

looking back on my concept design I probably bit off more than I could chew, it had over 15 parts,

Don't mean to toot my own horn but mine had just shy of 30 :P 4 of them were only cuboids with a domed top and connections as they were only lights but I still like the thought of having 30 parts :D My assembly says I have 83 parts and 250 mates :L Exploding it was a c*** tho! Took ages to build so for someone starting now I'd say have 5 parts and make them look alright. Make sure you base it on a theme or target audience. Just stick to the guidelines on the paper and you'll be grand. DO NOT do sketches in school until you finish you solidworks. Do the outputs and sketching at home until you finish the solidworks because you need to use your time wisely. Pick up as many parts as possible. Don't forget to explore the brief either!! It's easy and worth a few marks so take them quick :)

Don't mean to toot my own horn but mine had just shy of 30 :P 4 of them were only cuboids with a domed top and connections as they were only lights but I still like the thought of having 30 parts :D My assembly says I have 83 parts and 250 mates :L Exploding it was a c*** tho! Took ages to build so for someone starting now I'd say have 5 parts and make them look alright. Make sure you base it on a theme or target audience. Just stick to the guidelines on the paper and you'll be grand. DO NOT do sketches in school until you finish you solidworks. Do the outputs and sketching at home until you finish the solidworks because you need to use your time wisely. Pick up as many parts as possible. Don't forget to explore the brief either!! It's easy and worth a few marks so take them quick :)

why would you do so may parts. part b can all be one part it makes no odds. no minimum amount for part b so no point doing a million parts to impress your peers. You'll only lose marks on efficiency because lets face it what concept design can justify that many parts. I wouldn't manufacture it all im sayin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

why would you do so may parts. part b can all be one part it makes no odds. no minimum amount for part b so no point doing a million parts to impress your peers. You'll only lose marks on efficiency because lets face it what concept design can justify that many parts. I wouldn't manufacture it all im sayin

This is correct for the person only starting part B now. You only get marked on one part really in part B so you do not even have to make 5 parts one will do if it is possible, generally more difficult to try restrict yourself to one part but you get the idea.
    The reason for this is that if you are doing a modification you will use your parts from part A and only modify one part so only get marked on one part, so if doing a concept the marking has to be done in a similar way.

As others have said get busy now between today and tomorrow, do outputs 7 and 8 at home this weekend and practice your design at home on solidworks that way all you have to do in school is copy it again rather than have to think through how to do things or how to fix problems

I made a novelty lectern so added extras and parts were necessary. You can't really make a steel casing with a speaker all in one part as that's not really realistic. Lights all need to be different parts, screens are different, wheels and bolts and nuts and microphones and steps and head pivots and manouevering stands are all different parts so yeah... that's why mate. When you think about it, most lecterns in real life that are equipped with multimedia features have dozens are seperate parts that must be made in manufacture

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deink

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Finished! All printed, scanned, binded, files on CD. The feeling is really relaxing. Now onto Engineering and Mocks... *sigh*

You only scan pages that have sketches on them. You need to do this as SEC requires a Electronic Portfolio as well as your paper portfolio. Make sure all files are in chronological order of appearance and saved as .pdf document!

Do I need to put the files all into 1 pdf document?

I made a novelty lectern so added extras and parts were necessary. You can't really make a steel casing with a speaker all in one part as that's not really realistic. Lights all need to be different parts, screens are different, wheels and bolts and nuts and microphones and steps and head pivots and manouevering stands are all different parts so yeah... that's why mate. When you think about it, most lecterns in real life that are equipped with multimedia features have dozens are seperate parts that must be made in manufacture

alright "mate". As it happens this question has come up a dozen times already. For the concept design in particular, you need not worry about specifics and interior realism, more communicating the actual idea effectively so extrudes here and there, and not separate parts is advisable. There is a reason the minimum for part a is 5. It's a minimum, yes, but also a guideline, no point in allowing students design a multimedia lectern and then allocate a separate part to each individual key on a keyboard is there? that would be ridiculous but that is the logic you have used for this argument so interesting to hear you defend it. :)

alright "mate". As it happens this question has come up a dozen times already. For the concept design in particular, you need not worry about specifics and interior realism, more communicating the actual idea effectively so extrudes here and there, and not separate parts is advisable. There is a reason the minimum for part a is 5. It's a minimum, yes, but also a guideline, no point in allowing students design a multimedia lectern and then allocate a separate part to each individual key on a keyboard is there? that would be ridiculous but that is the logic you have used for this argument so interesting to hear you defend it. :)

Slagging my words now ay? :(

And I obviously don't mean every key on a keyboard.
    My design is a vehicle... vehicles tend to have many parts. If I was stuck for time I'd make 5 or 6 basic parts and do a somewhat quick job on it but I had plenty time so I decided to make it a bit more complex and make bumpers seperately and make the tyres seperate, axles, lights, mic, alloys, speakers, bolts, nuts, grill etc..

So the logic you assumed I used is not exactly true :)

I also had a friend and corrector take a look and he said my design is way up there as regards quality and detail due to the effort made so me thinks my point is well made. Obviously someone with less parts can score just as well but as I said I had plenty time so I used it!

Thank you, come again :)

• Advertisement

Slagging my words now ay? :(

And I obviously don't mean every key on a keyboard.
    My design is a vehicle... vehicles tend to have many parts. If I was stuck for time I'd make 5 or 6 basic parts and do a somewhat quick job on it but I had plenty time so I decided to make it a bit more complex and make bumpers seperately and make the tyres seperate, axles, lights, mic, alloys, speakers, bolts, nuts, grill etc..

So the logic you assumed I used is not exactly true :)

I also had a friend and corrector take a look and he said my design is way up there as regards quality and detail due to the effort made so me thinks my point is well made. Obviously someone with less parts can score just as well but as I said I had plenty time so I used it!

Thank you, come again :)

While I admire your ability to retract your initial argument and somewhat revise your words, I can of course concede that the more effort the better it looks to the examiner. It is however dangerous to advise people to do such a volume of parts because a) there is more chance they mess something up and b) this isn't fair on those who assumed 5 parts would be ample and now find themselves below standard. Personally I think the SEC should set a maximum and people like you should be forced into sitting an applied leaving cert for those less capable of following guidelines and structures. The latter sentence is of course intended as a joke. However, feel free to take offence and send me an angry reply. :) "mate".

Advertisement