Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery not charging on tractor lawnmower

Options
  • 06-09-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    was out late yesterday evening cutting the lawn and went to put on the lights (its a John Deere LR135) and there wasn't as much as a flicker in it.
    the ignition light has been showing dim lately but it always starts first time. So i putting it charging last with a 12 volt battery charger (Lidl one) but this morning it was totally discharged. I've used the charger on it once before about 3 years ago after it was laid up for the winter and it worked a treat.

Could the battery be fecked? its about 4 years old now the mower so it might be the life of the battery. the lights were working fine earlier in the year... it could be a wiring issue which is for a different day but i just need to get the battery working sorted for cutting the lawn next week.

Any ideas on this would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Your local motor factor will load test the battery for you, if you were getting a spark when connecting the charger I'd say the battery is fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i might drop into the local motor factors in the morning as i know one of the guys there. best place to start. if it needs a new one i can't complain after 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

thekooman wrote: »
    i might drop into the local motor factors in the morning as i know one of the guys there. best place to start. if it needs a new one i can't complain after 4 years.
    Went to the motor factors and they didnt have a tester or new battery...
    Went to the local husqvarna dealer and he tested the battery... It is perfect.
    So its a wiring issue: i crossed the solenoid to start it and it was just spinning.
    My bro used to work for JD so rang one of the mechanics. He said there is a ceramic fuse under the seat which i pulled out behind the battery. It was out of its holder hence why it wouldnt start... Problem solved. Ive glued the holder.when i went to connect the charger the last night it must have came out. The lights are working now. Cost me nothing
    The same thing could happen with a castlgarden because i think they are basically the same.

Advertisement