Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Supplies

Options
  • 06-09-2012 9:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

Heading down to Waterford tomorrow to get last minute supplies for college.
    Hate shopping so hoping to get everything in one shop. Can anyone help don't really know Waterford City well :D
    Looking to get bag, notepads, pens, folders. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Book Center in John Roberts Square has Scholars upstairs. Pretty much everything needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Early learning centre for the crayolas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Heading down to Waterford tomorrow to get last minute supplies for college.
    Hate shopping so hoping to get everything in one shop. Can anyone help don't really know Waterford City well :D
    Looking to get bag, notepads, pens, folders. Thanks.

Tesco would probably have everything you need, and cheaper than Scholars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Tesco! Scholars will charge you an arm and a leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Scholars is more for primary and secondary school. If you need a backpack and don't mind forking over a bit of cash Shaws have the best selection as far as I remember. For cheaper supplies I'd go to Card 'n' Things in City Square. Tesco have stopped doing specials on school supplies as far as I know (Poleberry definitely has)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Tesco poleberry (down past the cinema)
    Go up to the very very top floor of the bookcentre
    for backpacks, I reckon TK max is the best which is also down towards the cinema.

Tesco poleberry (down past the cinema)
    Go up to the very very top floor of the bookcentre
    for backpacks, I reckon TK max is the best which is also down towards the cinema.

Couldn't agree more. Bags down to 30 from 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Media999 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Bags down to 30 from 80.
    €80 for a school bag? What's it made of, gold?

Shaws was the best for a bag a few years back. I think I paid about €15 or €20 for one that lasted my 5 years in college and is still in good nick somewhere.

looder wrote: »
    €80 for a school bag? What's it made of, gold?

Shaws was the best for a bag a few years back. I think I paid about €15 or €20 for one that lasted my 5 years in college and is still in good nick somewhere.

nah its a really good quality waterproof laptop schoolbag. Top quality. If youre carrying a laptop worth a grand its worth spending an extra tenner to keep it dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

nah its a really good quality waterproof laptop schoolbag. Top quality. If youre carrying a laptop worth a grand its worth spending an extra tenner to keep it dry.

+1

Got one last week it's excellent value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I might go in and have a look for one myself. Personally love the ones in Shaws. Got one over 5 years ago and it's still brilliant. Great for anyone with a bad back.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

What happened to buying Irish. Scholars, Shaws, Scribes on the dunmore road or Cahills on the hill in Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What happened to buying Irish. Scholars, Shaws, Scribes on the dunmore road or Cahills on the hill in Tramore.

Well now,while I am a great fan of Cahills, who probably have the best choice and prices in Ireland :D, you are only supporting a local shop, the stuff they sell is unlikely to be any more Irish than the stuff that Tesco sells. And Tesco employs a lot of Irish people.

looksee wrote: »
    Well now,while I am a great fan of Cahills, who probably have the best choice and prices in Ireland :D, you are only supporting a local shop, the stuff they sell is unlikely to be any more Irish than the stuff that Tesco sells. And Tesco employs a lot of Irish people.

Thats true it might not be irish products but all of the stock in all the shops I mentioned are purchased from irish suppliers and distributors. So its supporting a few more irish jobs.

(I know this because im one of the distributors:))

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thats true it might not be irish products but all of the stock in all the shops I mentioned are purchased from irish suppliers and distributors. So its supporting a few more irish jobs.

(I know this because im one of the distributors:))

Yes, I was actually saying the same thing. I was commenting on someone saying that we should buy Irish, but in fact the products are not particularly Irish, whereas the suppliers, as you said, are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'll support Irish if it's not too expensive in comparison with similar product but customer service is what will determine where I'll spend my money. I'm only glad places like Scribes opened who have always been extremely helpful and polite unlike the years I spent enduring Scholars whose customer service is appalling and they're well known for it. I love Cahills and find it great for all the arts and crafts stuff I use in my work.

I needed to get a very strong schoolbag that will do my son for his Leaving Cert and hopefully college 2 weeks ago. I narrowed it down to two bags, a Jensport and a Sporthouse. It was only by chance that I discovered that Sporthouse is not only an Irish brand but are made here in Waterford so went with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DaZuluforte

This crowd have a waterproof backpack coming in soon too for about the same price www.drygear.ie

http://www.drygear.ie/Waterproof-Backpack

85yo yos??? Thats a whole lot more then a sporthouse bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DaZuluforte

Ah, sorry, just saw someone mention 80 quid. Hope you find one! :)

Great Waterproof bags in TKMaxx. Around 30 bucks down from 80.

• Advertisement
Advertisement