Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DP shipping

• 06-09-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anyone know how do you go about becoming an officer on a DP ship if you dont have your DP license?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

DP?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In truth, it's pretty tricky. Most DP ships want DP qualified officers already. Most of the guys I know were either lucky in that the company upgraded to DP ships and they got trained up or they were cadets on DP ships and the company trained them in once they got their ticket.

You can also pay to do the course yourself in a number of places in the UK (and I assume in Cork now also?), but it's a gamble, will you get a DP job with no experience?

DP = Dynamic Positioning
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_positioning

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

As far as I know (engineer) for navigators, you need to sit a DP intro/basic course, then you need sea time (on a DP vessel) to attend your full DP ticket. Your basic ticket is not enough to get you a place on a DP vessel, so you may have to go as supernumery, or if the company or charterer requires extra people on the bridge, you might have a place.

On my current vessel (DP2) there are 2 watch keepers on the bridge when in DP, at least one of whom has a full DP ticket (and OOW !).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

As far as I know (engineer) for navigators, you need to sit a DP intro/basic course, then you need sea time (on a DP vessel) to attend your full DP ticket. Your basic ticket is not enough to get you a place on a DP vessel, so you may have to go as supernumery, or if the company or charterer requires extra people on the bridge, you might have a place.

On my current vessel (DP2) there are 2 watch keepers on the bridge when in DP, at least one of whom has a full DP ticket (and OOW !).

It should be enough with basic DP course to be on duty on the bridge if you are on watch with someone who has a full DP ticket.;):D
    And it should be 2 on the bridge at all times.

Advertisement