Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grades and percentages.

Options
  • 06-09-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just finished up orientation the other day. We were told that

A1 = 4.0 QCA
    A2 = 3.6 QCA
    B1 = 3.2 QCA
    etc..

But what we weren't told is what % is required for an A1, A2, etc... Is it the same as the leaving cert?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Varies by department and module, but generally:

F: 0 – 29
    D2: 30 – 34
    D1: 35 – 39
    C3: 40 – 44
    C2: 45 – 49
    C1: 50 – 54
    B3: 55 – 60
    B2: 61 – 64
    B1: 65 – 70
    A2: 71 – 79
    A1: 80 – 100

is a good approximation:

EDIT: Actually, I copied those from a lecture slide without reading them, so they're probably not that accurate for most courses. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Hi all,

I just finished up orientation the other day. We were told that

A1 = 4.0 QCA
    A2 = 3.6 QCA
    B1 = 3.2 QCA
    etc..

But what we weren't told is what % is required for an A1, A2, etc... Is it the same as the leaving cert?

Thanks!

depends on the curve but the grades outlined above are a fairly good indicator, if you ask your lecturer he will give a more accurate outline

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Depends on the Department, then what course you're in. I know on the Engineering side of things, generally 75%+ is an A1, but I've had modules where it's 80%+ so it all depends. You will generally be given a Department standard one at the start of your course, then if the module uses a different one, the lecturer will tell you at the start of the semester. That said all lecturers usually put it in the first lecture, even if it corresponds to the Department standard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

All of ours varied from each exam. Some were leaving cert and the rest were all different again.
    26% was a D2 some one of them and I think 20% was a D2 in tech maths I did this semester.
    A D1 or D2 is a compensating fail and if your QCA is not above 2.0 you'll have to repeat the D's.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boo-yaw-ka-shaa

I've found it varies for each department. I know for any of our PESS modules it was harder to get an A than in the Health Science modules i.e. they had a higher grade bracket for A1, A2 etc. U shud be able to find most the grading info on each departments website though. U can always email the module leader about it in due course aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement